dvd drive has issues (help)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
well my dvd drive is alittle wierd, it often times has lag in videos useing any of my 4 dvd progs, even cd music has issues some times , when im installing something from it ,the rest of my cpu lags and just overall it has some probs ,if u can help me with these id be happy but thats not what this is about. i dont know what brand of drive it is ,i got it with my costom pc and i just got the standard 16X dvd rom drive, so is there a program that could tell me? i have afew but they all say "16X dvd rom drive" i want to know so i could get the real drivers for it , not just the default windows xp drivers..thanx alot

Harry_C

Getting old ... and drunk
Apr 2, 2001
France
Visit site
Open your Pc, look at the DVD drive and there should something about the manufacturer on it. ;)
For the lag issue, i assume it is an ide drive, check that DMA is enabled.
If yes, well you could try to clean the lens.

Scuddie

I am probably better than you.
Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Hadmar pointed out a utility that helped me. Unfortunately, it was lost on the forum for obvious reasons, and I had to reformat. It's a utility that can manually slow down your CD/DVD max speed. I had my 32x CDROM set at 8x and response times dropped like a stone. I would recommend this for you, it's an excelent program.

/me looks in Hadmar's general direction

Last edited:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
/me slowly aproaches the thread door with his back to the wall and peeks through the door
*damn they know I'm here*
*I'm screwed*
/me grabs his last hope - a CD Bremse grenade
/me throws the 'nade through the door and starts to run like hell

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
yea i had previously opened my case and theres no visible info ,my guess is its on the top of the drive where i would have to completly remove it =/ ...uhhh and btw, thanx for the prog but i dont speak that language ;) maybe a quick translation of the screenie on the progs page?? thanx alot

:edit: yea "ultra dma" is turned on. and that makes me think of another problem heh , when i have dma mode off the drive is much more stable but alot slower.. so i cant really use it when in pio. any idea whats causeing this? (i know pio is slower..i just want to kow why dma mode is fuxxoreing my drive!!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
yay! for USA! or something :lol: thanx for the help,so what setting would u recomend for my problems? i dont have experiance in the field of slowing a dvd drive to helop things heh

Scuddie

Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Well, I cant give you any options. You have to tell me what settings are in the DVD Speed dropdown list (I.E. 16X CAV, 4X CLV, etc). If it's a slow speed, I recommend a timer of 15 minutes. Anyway, install it, run it, and tell me what options you have, and I'll have an answer for you :)

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
ok
cd speed is 10-20-40-48 all cav
dvd speed is anything from 1-5-8-12-16 all cav

and its still called "ide 16X dvd rom" but if this fixes it than it doesnt matter :) thanx for the prog

Last edited by a moderator:

Scuddie

Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Yes, it is a bit odd, but it's OK. Anyway, it looks like you are screwed. CAV has faster reading capability, but it costs some response time (in my experiences anyway). I suppose your best bet is to try out 5x and 8x to see which one works better for you. Pipe it back up to 16 when you install something. And as far as timeout goes, run 5x at 15 minutes, 8x at something like 5 min. Good luck, it might not help, so you might need it :hmm:.

Ryan

banned
May 27, 2001
Puyallup WA
Visit site
ill try it out .. and not to disagree cuz i dont kno much about it, but it seems odd that cav (which u say is faster but less response) would make my dvd movies skip just randomly whenever it feels like it , i am plannig on getting a new dvd drive or something cuz it only seems to be getting worse ...but well see what happens with the prog .thanx again