Advice for handheld camcorder

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Hi,

I'm looking for a decent compromise in terms of features/price for a camcorder. Any suggestions?

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
a webcam?

Camcorder as in one of these:
panasonic-hdc-sd5-camcorder.jpg

I'm hesitating whether to get a HD-capable one or not depending on prices.

What are you trying to do?

I would like to make a small documentary.

@ZenPirate: Those look sleek. Have you given one a try?

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
Flip is great for "on the go" video. It's cheap, and the quality is fairly good provided you have adequate lighting.

For something better I'd go with a Canon Vixia HF200 or Panasonic TM10

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I'm hesitating whether to get a HD-capable one or not depending on prices.

I would like to make a small documentary.

If you're looking at making a documentary dont' get a flip camera. Get a traditional camcorder and HD is extremely nice in today's world. I've found myself passing things up just because they're in SD anymore. Prices have come way way down of late.

Other thoughts: if you can find one with XLR connector and a rail for a shotgun mike, then all the better, but you need at LEAST a microphone jack. Onboard sound is the suck.

TBH I haven't looked at camcorders in ages, but if you skim through something like cnet reviews you can probably narrow down your search a bit.

~Jason

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
well if you have a laptop and a webcam already it works out cheaper :)

I have a MacBook Pro. However, I need a camcorder because some stuff will need to be recorded on the move.