Assault back in UT3 with expansion pack!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
Well apparently Gamespy knows the expansion is not a stand alone, so we know one thing about the expansion. Anyways, its an expansion; as a result, expansions normally need the vanilla copy of the game installed in order to expand it, so it makes sense.

This expansion will probably make UT3 what it should have been when it released if it offers what people want it to - New GUI/UI, Gametypes, Fixes.

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Well apparently Gamespy knows the expansion is not a stand alone, so we know one thing about the expansion. Anyways, its an expansion; as a result, expansions normally need the vanilla copy of the game installed in order to expand it, so it makes sense.

No, we still don't know anything about the expansion. If it did require UT3 to run, you'd hear it here first.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I give Epic credit for this one regardless. It's a strange way to express it. There where no Assault in the original game, so how can it continue in it's expansion? Maybe they are guessing there will be an Assault gametype in the expansion. Maybe Epic have told them there will be or put it in the same way.

We should be thankful if this is a free add-on, but why would Epic be so kind when the community only bring them crap?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
The community rightly reacted to the crap Epic gave them. The consumers aren't at fault here. And yet the community still out-mapped Epic 10:1. :rolleyes:

If the expansion requires UT3 it will be dead on arrival just like UT3 was a year ago.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
The community rightly reacted to the crap Epic gave them. The consumers aren't at fault here. And yet the community still out-mapped Epic 10:1. :rolleyes:

If the expansion requires UT3 it will be dead on arrival just like UT3 was a year ago.

I seriously don't get why you guys think Epic didn't deserve the backlash they got. Its like battered wives syndrome over here I swear. :(

Bort

nou
May 7, 2003
Mexico
www.mexfrag.net
Gamespy provide the ****ty online experience so they must know something about the expansion.

We should be thankful if this is a free add-on, but why would Epic be so kind when the community only bring them crap?

wat?

Epic should be thankful with me since they got my money only because of my stupid fanboism with the series. I paid for a game that was dead after 2 months.

Thankfully those days are over.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
You think Epic is bad. Look no further. GameSpy is here. I installed GSA to play Fallout Tactics last week, guess what. No players, anywhere. Not in FoT, not in Quake 4, not in... any of the old games I had nor the new ones. It's like they haven't made progress or even changes the last few years. GameSpy got a huge network with all the planets, even thou very few of them actually update on a regular basis. PlanetUnreal is almost always behind BeyondUnreal, sometimes I think that they just copy whatever hits BU's frontpage straight off, but with their own comments.

We don't know how much work Epic put into UT3, but we agree that it ain't enough. UT had probably less hours, but we all think it was superior because the bar was set much lower back then. UT3 graphics outdid everything of course, but everything else fell behind. It's bad design and no number of patches will corrent that. They will have to release a completely new game in the series to cope with everything. An expansion that ain't stand alone won't be enough, but it will have to make do. It probably won't be an overhaul as Crysis Warhead, we can still hope it will be thou.

Bort

nou
May 7, 2003
Mexico
www.mexfrag.net
I don't think Epic is bad, actually i don't really care about them.

The only think i cared was to get a new UT game good enough to maintain a strong online community, didn't happen, to bad, i moved to other games.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
When UT3 came, system requirements were pretty steep. They still are for most people. It failed because it's not possible to play with lesser settings.

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
Actually, it makes perfect sense...
The expansion will require UT3 to play. The expansion will be under $20 (just a guess) and they'll repackage the entire thing to attract people that don't own it for the $39.99. They'll get with retailers and be able to sell the whole package in one box or mix and match for the same price.

All I can say is they better have a good marketing strategy. I think it can be a success if they do.

Now my psychic prediction as the pre-sale gimmick: New playable character models: Marcus Fenix, Dom, and one or two Locust.

LG1X

Aug 16, 2008
If there is one single little spew of anything related to that disgusting franchise kids love called GoW in the UT3 expansion, I will not purchase it. Keep GoW and its filth away from the UT franchise at all costs.

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
If there is one single little spew of anything related to that disgusting franchise kids love called GoW in the UT3 expansion, I will not purchase it. Keep GoW and its filth away from the UT franchise at all costs.

You make me sad:(

Gears is a great console shooter. Key word is "console" granted, but it is a fun game, and like it or not has now unceremoniously unseated the Unreal franchise as the "Flagship" title of Epic games.

I like Gears, but it made my heart sink to see the promotional material for UT3 tout it as "from the makers of Gears of War."

iron12

Mar 28, 2005
I think the guys in UT3 sound to much like each other. They should have people with different voices do the taunts. Either that or different characters are using the same taunts because I could swear different guys are saying the same things.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Now my psychic prediction as the pre-sale gimmick: New playable character models: Marcus Fenix, Dom, and one or two Locust.

Dont we already have those for UT3 :eek:

Well luckily for me, I think that the XPANSION will be a failure regardless of its direction. The game's been out for more than a year iirc and it's still a giant buggy pos and this stupid XPANSION is too little too late imho.

I can certainly see where youre coming from! This better be more then an attempt to fix a failed release, if its not it'll certainly be too late.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Now that's low. A few unproductive years doesn't call for a divorce nor constant nagging.

But when your husband (i.e. Epic) has been cheating on you with the woman from his office (i.e. PS3/360 contards) in addition to beating the **** out of you, I do think it qualifies for a divorce.