Same Sex...Marriage

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
If I were an admin, I would ban you for shitting on every thread in OT.

Interesting stuff; wasn't aware of the existing same-sex parenting research.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
The only problem I have with the research in this scenario is that it says in effect 'In parents that are good at parenting, sexual orientation is a non factor'... Shouldn't this be a duh? Anybody good at parenting should be able to raise a child well regardless of who they are personally attracted to. It also follows that bad parenting is non sexual preference connected.

Many studies attest to the normal development of children of same-gender couples when the child is wanted, the parents have a commitment to shared parenting, and the parents have strong social and economic supports.

If your question is one about do gays make good parents then a sample group of good parents, homosexual or heterosexual, doesn't answer the question. Seems obvious to me that overall statistics wouldn't indicate homosexuals to be worse parents on average then straight ones. In fact it might well be the opposite given all the horrible straight parents out there. Though even asking such a question seems discriminatory to me.

My reaction to the supreme court's statements though was: WTF does good parenting have to do with the legalities of marriage? Ideally every parent would be a good parent. Married or not. All other factors not withstanding. If that's how they want to roll there should be a parenting test, those who fail can't get married.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
"During oral arguments"

attachment.php

Attachments

• popart.jpg
    popart.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 89

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Some of the comments on that article are right though, this "science" is bullshit. If anything they should try prove that homosexual partners have bad influence or something on the children they raise if such claim exists. And not the opposite way, there wasn't any proof for the opposite arguments, so why would they even bother investigating this? Just to raise "public awareness"? But they assume that most people think it is harmful to the children or what? That part really is wtf.
As for marriage itself, I guess it depends what they want but marriage doesn't equal having children like someone said. And marrying in churches for example, why would they bother anyway? The church itself is against it, so why should they go to people that despise them and have them married anyway? Unless it feels good for the pair to be "on top" of things suddenly and to show them, "you repressed me, now we strike back" or something like that.
I myself wouldn't want to be married though with same sex partner. They can do just fine with registered partnership for the most part, the marriage only brings more legal BS to the entire affair and you'll get depts from the partner and stuff like that. Not to mention divorce and stuff. So why bother anyway?

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
I can't wait to see what is next! Will it be something like: what does good parenting have to do with one's sexual tendencies with sheep or a car or their own kin? Then I can't wait to see what comes after that? Yes, there is no doubt that gay marriage is on the way.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Same sex marriage is fine.

Two men adopting children? No way. It's an embarrasement for a kid to be raised by a gay couple.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Same sex marriage is fine.

Two men adopting children? No way. It's an embarrasement for a kid to be raised by a gay couple.
It shouldn't be embarrasement though, perhaps if they were raised in certain way but this kid won't have prejudices but yes prejudices can pop up around, especially at areas where they might not be that tolerant to the idea. But that is the problem of the society, not the kid's problem. And it's better for the kid either way than be raised on streets or in "children houses" where abuse is abroad etc etc.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
It shouldn't be embarrasement though, perhaps if they were raised in certain way but this kid won't have prejudices but yes prejudices can pop up around, especially at areas where they might not be that tolerant to the idea. But that is the problem of the society, not the kid's problem. And it's better for the kid either way than be raised on streets or in "children houses" where abuse is abroad etc etc.
Indeed, it's worse to be raised on the streets or by abusive parents. Nevertheless, the kid will tend to be mocked in school, feel ashamed, etc...

What's more, some gay parents will attempt to model the kid to have the same gay lifestyle which is against his nature.

It's far from ideal, it's never "as good as" a convencional couple. Only delusion or propaganda will make people believe otherwise.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Indeed, it's worse to be raised on the streets or by abusive parents. Nevertheless, the kid will tend to be mocked in school, feel ashamed, etc...

What's more, some gay parents will attempt to model the kid to have the same gay lifestyle which is against his nature.

It's far from ideal, it's never "as good as" a convencional couple. Only delusion or propaganda will make people believe otherwise.
Why would they model the kid to be as them? Besides that often in practice doesn't work at all, even if that would be so. You think most gays out there or bisexuals or transgender people grew up in incomplete family or have been raised by gay couple? Lol no
The kid will find girls/boys attractive either way, no matter what others tell him what should be the norm.
One gets often mocked in the school even without reason, they just find one that is convenient to them and that's it. I got mocked for wearing a certain raincoat, I got mocked for a lot of stupid or non stupid shit. What should the kid do is to know better than them anyway. And if it goes too heavy then they would probably find another reason to be the cause..just being a little different is often enough, or them envying you something.
Edit: in the end: Sexuality doesn't get created by your parents and parents have little influence on that, even if they try hard.

Last edited:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Why would they model the kid to be as them? Besides that often in practice doesn't work at all, even if that would be so. You think most gays out there or bisexuals or transgender people grew up in incomplete family or have been raised by gay couple? Lol no
The kid will find girls/boys attractive either way, no matter what others tell him what should be the norm.
One gets often mocked in the school even without reason, they just find one that is convenient to them and that's it. I got mocked for wearing a certain raincoat, I got mocked for a lot of stupid or non stupid shit. What should the kid do is to know better than them anyway. And if it goes too heavy then they would probably find another reason to be the cause..just being a little different is often enough, or them envying you something.
Edit: in the end: Sexuality doesn't get created by your parents and parents have little influence on that, even if they try hard.
Long story short... you agree with me, what I described can and surely wiill happen, but try to explain why my view is irrelevant.
1) there's the risk that gay parents will try to induce the lifestyle and sexual preferences, but that's no big deal
2) there's the risk that kids will be mocked and ashamed for extra reasons, but that's no big deal either!

It's not a big deal? Says you. Adoption institutions, psychologists and political parties think otherwise.

Hermskii

www.Hermskii.com
Apr 13, 2003
Houston
Hermskii.com
Benfica,

You seems to have a strong opinion about all of this. Do you have any personal experience or other insight you want to share with the class? My only curiosity besides your answer to that question is other's opinions about what percentage of people who are gay were born possibly leaning that way as compared to what percentage of gay people are gay due to their environment. I'll poke this conversation with this statement: I think that there are certainly people who are born being "more apt" to end up gay than others. I'll go a step further too and say I think many people are gay only because of the environment they were raised in. Chew on that folks and then reply with your opinion to my opinion. Go!

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
1) there's the risk that gay parents will try to induce the lifestyle and sexual preferences, but that's no big deal
2) there's the risk that kids will be mocked and ashamed for extra reasons, but that's no big deal either!

1. If that's an issue, which is debatable, what about well-known risk that straight parents will try to 'push' their lifestyle and sexual preference upon their children?

2. Would you say by the same reasoning that black people should not be allowed to adopt children, for fear that racists will mock the children and shame them?

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
1. If that's an issue, which is debatable, what about well-known risk that straight parents will try to 'push' their lifestyle and sexual preference upon their children?

2. Would you say by the same reasoning that black people should not be allowed to adopt children, for fear that racists will mock the children and shame them?
Perhaps you aren't considering what matters in an adoption. Only the "point of view" of the child is relevant, only the child's best interest matters. An adopted child is not a toy for someone to inflate their egos.

1) If straight parents have risky lifestyles and try to push them, they should be banned from adopting.

2) If there's a country or region where there's a lot of social pressure regarding racism or other form of discrimination, then the adoption by a minoritary couple may even be risky too. It's hard to say, even more because your example is far fetched. What I am sure is that it's not for the child to have the burden of being an activist, to change the world or fighting a sociological battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.