Tweak UT graphics/sound to the max

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The greatest mystery of all: OpenGL or D3D (Including the D3D8 one)?

• OpenGl

Votes: 108 64.7%
  • D3D (or D3D8)

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Software is the best!

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • They all suck!

Votes: 14 8.4%

• Total voters

Diehard

Also whats the deal with http://www.unrealtexture.com/UT/UT.htm? It sounds like they are pretty high detailed, would those work fine? Anyone tested them? If you only used the high end master files will you only get half being S3TC and the rest standard?

Yep, its a brandnew project in the sense its starting for UT for the first time. All the new packages will be netcompatible, and all together they contain some 1000 Mb :eek: of new textures compared to the S3TC textures on the 2nd UT cd.

The UT clock only has one day left, but i am behind in my work on the site which is a horrible amount of work. But yeah, all packages will be netcompatible, and the remaining problem has everything to do with the skating player glitch. I am franticly working to find a good solution for that, either in the form of a new patch for unreal or otherwise.

But on itself, yeah the packages for download on the new site offer tons more quality than you will be used to. And as for the mix normal/S3TC textures theres no difference with the 2nd CD textures. If an S3TC texture is present it will use that, if not it will use the low resolution texture available.

But i keep working on updates :) , both for Unreal as well as UT. And i will make an official anouncement on Beyond Unreal on these forums when everything is ready, it might be this weekend, but personally i count on the weekend after that....

As for the High End or Low End S3TC textures, you can try the High End, if this creates videolag than switch to the Low End textures, after all you dont wanna ruin your playing. The Low End S3TC textures are smaller in size on areas where its likelly they will cause videolag, but they are still super, super duper high quality S3TC textures ;)

256mb and 512mb videocard users can use High End, 128Mb you still can try(got 128Mb myself), but its adviced to close as much tasks running in the background as possible.

32 and 64 Mb videocard users theres no point, you have to use the Low End versions or the normal textures. But the Low End S3TC textures were mainly added for people only having a 64 or 128Mb videocard.

stephen_wq

AKA The--Grim--Reaper
Dec 15, 2003
Diehard - card is a 7900GT 256mb on one comp, on the other an ATI 9600XT 256mb. High shud be fine on both?

Diehard

Diehard - card is a 7900GT 256mb on one comp, on the other an ATI 9600XT 256mb. High shud be fine on both?

Yeah that should run just fine with High End textures.

look forward to see the quality of those
but i always thought that the S3TC textures on cd2 are the highest as possible ?

No, nowadays those are concidered relative low resolution, on averidge they are 1024 x1024 and the maximum size is 1024 x 2048 for certain walls. The High End packages have as averidge 2048 x 2048 while maximum size is 4096 x 4096. That means on averidge the textures are 4 times bigger.

The sizes on the 2nd CD are pretty much the same specs as for the Low End S3TC packages(which is purely coincidental btw)

Theoretically we could go one step higher and make all textures 4096 x 4096 on averidge :D But you would need a monster of a videocard for that lol. And i would need even more bigger hardrives i got now :rolleyes: to be able to store the project.

Effectively there's no game worldwide, and there wont be any game for yeaaaars to come that beats the resolution Unreal and UT have with the current S3TC textures. And that includes brandnew games like UT2004, Crysis, UT3, COD4, comparably those are considered low resolution games.

iSenSe

on it!
Jan 20, 2008
DM-1on1SmallMountain [NL]
Yeah that should run just fine with High End textures.

No, nowadays those are concidered relative low resolution, on averidge they are 1024 x1024 and the maximum size is 1024 x 2048 for certain walls. The High End packages have as averidge 2048 x 2048 while maximum size is 4096 x 4096. That means on averidge the textures are 4 times bigger.

The sizes on the 2nd CD are pretty much the same specs as for the Low End S3TC packages(which is purely coincidental btw)

Theoretically we could go one step higher and make all textures 4096 x 4096 on averidge :D But you would need a monster of a videocard for that lol. And i would need even more bigger hardrives i got now :rolleyes: to be able to store the project.

Effectively there's no game worldwide, and there wont be any game for yeaaaars to come that beats the resolution Unreal and UT have with the current S3TC textures. And that includes brandnew games like UT2004, Crysis, UT3, COD4, comparably those are considered low resolution games.

u would indeed need a huge gfx card for that whehe
and a big screen o_O like 30 inch and 8800gtx ultra edition xD

would love to see the textures online already :p
thanks for your info man ;)

[dutch]kerel, bedankt hea ;) [/dutch]

Last edited:

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site
^^^

I had already upgraded mine for UT3, but it seems like poetic justice that the original UT is going to be the biggest beneficiary -- I love it.

Thanks for the site and the work, Diehard. Looking forward to this.

stephen_wq

AKA The--Grim--Reaper
Dec 15, 2003
By net compatible, if i download and install these im not going to get kicked online by anti cheat programs?
If i wont, the download manager starts asap.

Last edited:

Diehard

By net compatible, if i download and install these im not going to get kicked online by anti cheat programs?
If i wont, the download manager starts asap.

Netcompatible only means oné thing, it only refers to: "it wont conflict with with the packages present on the server"

Anti cheat is a different story, and the skating player glitch again is another story.

Having netcompatabillity was the most important thing, because without it, it would make the packages useless all together for online playing. That hurdle has been taken, they are netcompatible.

Anti cheat is the second hurdle, and it seems to pass Pure anti cheat just fine, the other anti cheat still needs to be tested. And i simply did lack any time to sent updated packages to the testers :( , which i wanted to know upfront the actual releases, if it passes all anticheat.

The third hurdle has not been taken yet, and that is the skating player glitch, that a difficult problem to solve anyway. The current patch for it, may or may not work, and it wont proces the city package(which contains updates), nor any of the new releases like GenEarth, GenTerra, JWSky etc. Than again, those package might not contain the error at all....

Yes, but they are not 100% net compatible now.

That could be true or not lol, last months i have been uploading the latest package when i could, but lost any overview there. Before the release i wil process each package again and re-upload them just to make sure all packages are what they should be.

But its possible that they are netcompatible already, theres no way to tell, not even for me lol.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Woho, Diehard, nice project I'll have to check in on every now and then.

stephen_wq, that OpenGL section I posted has not been updated yet, but I'll do it very soon!

stephen_wq

AKA The--Grim--Reaper
Dec 15, 2003
Tried the high res textures diehard made - im sorry to say that i dont really notice a difference over epic s3tc. which maps showcase it best? The models look a little better, but that could be skaarjmasters config. Probably wrong maps or something, i understand those are still in testing though.
I took some screenies but the brightness is all wrong, and id have to mess around in photoshop. certain textures in agony look pretty sharp though.

Last edited:

Diehard

Obviously that extra 1000Mb must have gone somewhere lol. But i know little about UT myself, since i am an Unreal player. Others may know alot better than me where the textures show up. I can only tell which packages have major updates compared to the Epic ones:

GenEarth 95% coveridge.
PlayrShp 95% coveridge.
SkyCity 95% coveridge.
GenIn 80% coveridge.
CTF 80% coveridge
CoretFX 95% coveridge.

For Unreal the best map probably would be SkyTown, For UT someone here might be able to tell. The models, i have never done any updates on those, i only dealt with the plain textures.

Diehard

lol

On this page you can find the High End S3TC textures:

HighEnd.htm

And on this page the Low End S3TC textures:
LowEnd.htm

Downloads are after the jump in the left menu, But as said, its unclear to me what has been uploaded already, packages may or may not be netcompatible, or not yet updated at all :)

And if anyone wants to go back to the normal textures, heres that link too lol:

Normal.htm

And of course there is the link to the original S3TC opackages made by Epic:

S3TCEpic.htm

There ya go all the links you want :)

Navigation may be confusing at start (tried tons of variations, but its still a bit confusing to people), but once you get it, it will be clear, i hope...

And to make sure everyone understand this, the site offers both Unreal and UT downloads, never go mix those, Unreal is for Unreal, UT is for UT :cool:

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Guess I'll use the Epic ones until your site is up :) And if some are not compatible, I'll let you know.
Will only install on Linux system though, as I want to map on Windows and Linux hates buggy applications like UnrealEd.
But mapping with Epic's S3TC is fine, why would these be bad for mapping?
By the way, those Normal textures are good to replace Epic's skybox textures as they're broken. You should add a big link to those :D

iSenSe

on it!
Jan 20, 2008
DM-1on1SmallMountain [NL]
wtf.. i got microsoft certified.. and got a few exams .. and are an computer technician..
and its my job to solve problems with PC's

but wtf.. :p i really cant find a link that opens the download..
i see the high end textures.. only know download button.. or a link or whatever

whahaha :p funny