Tweak UT graphics/sound to the max

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The greatest mystery of all: OpenGL or D3D (Including the D3D8 one)?

• OpenGl

Votes: 108 64.7%
  • D3D (or D3D8)

Votes: 41 24.6%
  • Software is the best!

Votes: 4 2.4%
  • They all suck!

Votes: 14 8.4%

• Total voters

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
Alright! I'm back! :) What have I missed?
Any comments and suggestions are welcome also, now that I am back. Oh, and somebody tell me if that FileFront thing is okay to use for S3TC Textures.

Edit: Update #11 OpenGl Renderer 3.1...

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Just a quick update for my current, 3.1 Config:

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
FastTranslucency=1
VertexLighting=0
UseTNT=False
GammaOffset=0.000000
UseMultiDrawArrays=True <-- Heard this results in faster drawing of some stuff
SinglePassDetail=True
DetailClipping=False
UseDetailAlpha=False
UsePrecache=False
ShareLists=False
TruFormMinVertices=0
TruFormTessellation=3
UseTruForm=False
RefreshRate=85
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
UsePalette=True
UseBGRATextures=True
UseZTrick=False
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
DescFlags=0
Description=
UsePrecache=False
ShareLists=False
Translucency=1
UseVertexSpecular=1
UseTrilinear=True
UseS3TC=True
LODBias=0.000000
MaxAnisotropy=0
SupportsLazyTextures=1
NumAASamples=0
UseAA=False
SwapInterval=0
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
UseSSE=True
AAFilterHint=0
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
BufferClippedActorTris=False
SinglePassDetail=True
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=True
UseDetailAlpha=True
NoFiltering=False
UseFilterSGIS=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseAlphaPalette=True
UsePrecache=False
AlwaysMipmap=False
ShareLists=False
UseMultiTexture=True
MaxTMUnits=0
RequestHighResolutionZ=True
FrameRateLimit=200
CacheStaticMaps=False
BufferTileQuads=False
Use16BitTextures=False
OneXBlending=False
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
ZRangeHack=True <-- TURN THIS ON. Will fix the Clipping Redeemer and possibly long-range decals, but only for a 24-bit Z-Buffer. (That is, 32-bit color.) Won't do too good on 16-bit color mode though... but if you need to run in that, why are you here? :p
SinglePassFog=True <-- Nice performance boost and the fog looks damn good, too
DetailMax=2 <-- Believe it or not, there can be 2 levels of detail with certain textures... 3 as well apparently, but they'd only begin to fade in as you got right next to the texture, so...
NoMaskedS3TC=False

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
Dang... You still have alot of repeats. LOL "...go into unrealtournament.ini and delete all those settings for opengl. Run the game and open advanced preferences and redo the settings. If you look in the ini file again, the old and obsolete settings should be gone. The settings will also be in order so that is nice as well." This worked for me at least. Oh and when you delete the settings, don't delete the line[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] or else the settings will reapear at the bottom and if you want to put it back you have to cut and paste it. Try it, and tell me if it works. And just to be safe, make a backup first.

For the SinglePassFog I set it to false because I think it suposedly lowers the quality or something. On my own computer I have it set to true though. Could somebody tell me if it really does lower the quality of the fog? Maybe I will set it to true on this thread.

P.S. Somebody please tell me if that filefront offer is any good for the textures. I beg you people...

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
Well, since the S3TC Textures were made by Epic, they're Epics, and therefore, not yours - making Fileplanet not an option.

Also, SinglePassDetail improves Detail Texture Quality, and therefore, so should SinglePassFog, though I could be wrong. This sort of stuff would be more easily solved if every option was documented, but alas, this is not to be.

Mar 6, 2000
London
www.mox-guild.com
If you check Chris's site he does document them.
Anyway single pass detail/texture/fog should only be used if you have at least 4 texture units as it means that all the texture processing (render, lighting, detail, etc) will be done on one pass, rather than multiple.
My 6600GT has 1 texture unit per pipeline, with 8 pipelines, so I've turned it on and got quite a large improvement.
I'm also running at 8xAA, 16 tap Antistropic filtering @ 1280x1024 (LCD's native resolution)

MaxAnisotropy=16
AAFilterHint=0 (whether to enable qunicunx aliasing - only for nvidia cards though and unecessary)
NumAASamples=8 (type of anti aliasing)
UseAA=True (enables Anti-aliasing)
SwapInterval=1 (turns v-sync on - gets rid of tearing).

Uber smooth and no mouse lag

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
I'm going to set singlepassfog to true but not singlepassdetail, as the second detail texture will not show up if it is enabled. If anybody thinks I should do something else please speak up.

Edit: Thanks for answering my question about the filefront thing Dark Pulse. Do you or anybody else know a valid place I will actually be allowed to upload to?

Edit2:And thanks to PsycoMoggieBagpuss for clearing the singlepass thing issue somewhat.

P.S. What is with your avatar? It's a big butt...

Last edited:

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
Annonymous_mapper said:
FU!!!! I'm eating my UT CD right now, damn. ugh... my stomach hurts.

:confused: I detected elevated stress levels in your comment. Whatever you did, it must suck. My condolences.

Now... About that SinglePassDetail thing. My honestly untrained eyes can barely tell the difference, though maybe it's because I had to use microsoft paint to convert it to jpeg. :D If anybody can tell the difference, please tell me. Only thing I saw different was the framerate. Does anyone think I should set SinglePassDetail to true on the top post? According to the UTGLR site, "The second detail texture layer will not show up unless SinglePassDetail is disabled." Must mean something. I will leave everyone with that thought.

Edit: I forgot to attach the screenshots! :lol: How could I do that? Just attached them...

Edit2: Could some of you do me a favor? Once in awhile could you click the download thing for the S3TC textures, start downloading it, and stop it? That way they will think that people are still downloading it and the link will stay alive. Only once every 30 days. This seems to be the only alternative at this present situation.

Edit3: LOL Update #13! New updated D3D8 renderer! It still is missing some options that the opengl render has though. :( Still don't recomend it over the opengl.

Edit4: Please, some people respond to the singlepassdetail thing. I need help to achieve this goal of tweaking UT Sound/Graphics to the Max. :)

Attachments

• Shot0000.JPG
    Shot0000.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Shot0001.JPG
    Shot0001.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
And that's why I said ALL options should be mentioned in his FAQ. A lot of them are, but some of them aren't even mentioned.

I'm no whiz, but I'll try to explain this. I could be totally wrong here.

SinglePassDetail means your videocard, while rendering, only does one pass over the detail textures. Earlier cards had fewer pipelines, thus they would have to make multiple passes over a certain texture to get x amount of quality, and this is called, naturally, multipassing.

SinglePassDetail, therefore, would in theory speed up performance on older cards without lots of pipelines (By only doing one pass per render) but the texture wouldn't look as nice, and that's why you cannot use a DetailMax of higher then 1 with this on. (It would only render the first texture, since the second texture layer is done with a second pass.) On a faster, more modern card (If you can run UT2004 with any sort of detail, this means you) it should make no difference, since the pipes on modern cards should be more then big enough to eat the thing in one pass. (Plus there's more pipelines, as well.)

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
madscientist327 said:
I see. Well I have a Geforce FX 5200. Is that powerful enough? If you are correct, maybe I should enable it.
I used to have that, and UT shouldn't cause any sort of performance hit with multipassing (Though if the level designer sucked at zoning, it might tank a tad in huge levels.)

For maximum Detail, it should be off and DetailMax set to two. Setting SinglePassDetail to true nullifies DetailMax's 2, plus it also will, at most, render only one texture, so it's bad for cards that can handle it. Since this is about the BEST Graphics, that's not what you want. :p

madscientist327

Pure Genius
Apr 24, 2005
The Milky Way Galaxy
So... If I understand this correctly, I should set it to false. But what if I had a very powerful card like a 6800 for example? Should I still set it to false or should I set it to true?

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
madscientist327 said:
So... If I understand this correctly, I should set it to false. But what if I had a very powerful card like a 6800 for example? Should I still set it to false or should I set it to true?
It should always be set to False and DetailMax to 2 unless you have an ancient card, like GeForce 2 or lower. Anything higher should run it with no major frame hits at all.

Tleilax

Jul 23, 2005
Anyone yet found a place to hold the S3TC Textures :( i am so sad about this :mad: (well theres no sad emoticon) I would love to get those textures, even if someone sent them to me. I have an idea, if any of you has those textures, and can split them into 5 or 6 sperate RAR formats then you can use this host

www.savefile.com/filehost.

Im sure its not that bad and if not can someone get megaupload link fixed please :( i would appreciate this a lot.

Tleilax

Jul 23, 2005
When i try to download from Megauploads in your Tutorial type thing. It gives me an internal server error, so thats the problem. Is it fixed yet or something?