UZ converter?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
I don't even know what a UZ is. Isn't that a Linux OS zip file?

Pxtl

Lord of the Files
Jan 30, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Neme, I'm surprised at you. Big UT player like you has never run a public UT server with mods on it? If you're running on cable, I suggest you give it a try. It would be an... informative experience to see the headache of configuring and stripping your mods to run on a server.

A.uz file is a compressed .u file. Its why sometimes, when you connect to a server, the download completes before the counter reaches 100%.

Look into the command-line options of ucc - there should be a decompress function in there to convert a .uz file into a .u file.

Quick crash course in running mods in UT: when running a game server, bandwidth is more precious than gold. With minor lag, a cablemodem can handle about 6 players, so the bandwidth is very, very tight.

Also, players downloading can only get their allotted bandwidth. That means it takes forfreaking ever to download a mod 'cause a guy is only getting 1/8th of your max upload or something. This is unacceptable. So, you zip the mod so its faster to download. That's a slight improvement.

The extreme case is to store the mod somewhere else on an HTTP system. So you get a webhoster who doesn't mind non-referrers to leech from it - no geocities or anything. You store all your .uz files up there, and in your server config, you refer the users to the http site. This allows you not to worry about downloading, only serving the game - if the user needs a data or texture file, they go to the http server. They get it fast, thanks to your .uz set up. This all happens nice and transparently - the user never sees a thing - all they know is that they got their mod fast as hell, and are in and playing in no time flat.

As you can see, its comlpetely different from a LAN environment where you can pass the CD around and get everybody loaded out to your satisfaction.

I used to run a server of low-grav maps with my zthrustinstagib mod and went through the whole headache. I eventualy gave up when I never got a single player.

Last edited: