Duke Nukem Forever Reviews

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Most of the world has spent the weekend with the opportunity to play through the just-released Duke Nukem Forever (the US gets its shot at it in a matter of hours) and reviews are quickly popping up around the internet. Things are not looking good for the Duke, though it seems that console versions are experiencing more technical hurdles and scores are correspondingly lower.

Metacritic compiled scores are as follows: Xbox 360 50/100, PS3 62/100, and PC 76/100. One of the more critical 360 reviews comes from Eurogamer which states:

This is a game that only works when considered in isolation, and even then any praise must come laden with caveats. But Duke Nukem Forever does not exist in a bubble. It shares shelf space with far more worthy rivals, and competes for our affections with games that have done far more in far less time. Nostalgia only gets you so far, and in Duke's case, it's not far enough.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Not even the duke could live up to a 15 year hype spree. It not being what you anticipated for so long will dappen your view.

What I take from these reviews is that I am glad that I preordered PC.

It may suck but I will have to see for myself.

What I hope devs take from this...

Consolization pussifies anything. If you are going to port a game, port it after launch.

2 weapons at a time always sux. Always.

But that isn't likely to happen.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Almost none of the reviews mentions anything about "consolization" or anything like that. What I'm taking from what I'm reading and from playing the demo is that far too much time was spent on making sure you could fling poo, pee in urinals, draw on whiteboards, and look at women, and too little time was spent on making a good game.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Duke is supposed to be badass... He should be able to carry 50 weapons without breaking a sweat.

It still seems like a decent game to me- I think a decade's worth of hype is impossible to live up to and that's what the lower scores are for.

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
But that was DN3D, sure it was inovative in it's day but generic by todays standards for an fps. It also had lot's of potty humor and interactivity. DNF is a worthy sequal as that is all it was ever meant to be. Though most likely not worthy of it's dev length.

I was hoping this would be innovative also, but I wasn't expecting that. When it comes to inovation he who takes too long loses.

There are also allot of design annoyances, things like weapon over heating, required cover, reloading. Those things are in real life and we are always researching ways to not have to deal with them. Why the hell would we want them in a game. It's not a simulator it's a game. Adding these sort of depth facades can appearently ruin a game for some people. For me they reduce replay value and make the spans of time play the game shorter.

Oh and by comment about consolization I mean the game would have been better if they had focused fully on making it the best it could be on it's intended platform, PC, first. Then once the game was out bring it to the console masses it's scores would probably been better over all is my guess. And it probably wouldn't suffer as much from deminished sales due too poor reviews.

Last edited:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
I don't give a damn what the reviews are. My main purpose in buying Duke was to experience the humor, and because of that I will still be purchasing it come Wednesday.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Duke was never about absolutely flawless gameplay perfection- it is however, about being funny, silly, and stylistic at the same time. Whats important is that duke amuses you, nothing else.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I don't give a damn what the reviews are. My main purpose in buying Duke was to experience the humor, and because of that I will still be purchasing it come Wednesday.
Duke was never about absolutely flawless gameplay perfection- it is however, about being funny, silly, and stylistic at the same time. Whats important is that duke amuses you, nothing else.
I'm with you guys.

reviews be damned. I'll play this game and I'll enjoy it regardless.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I don't care if it's quirky and has potty humor and whatever. The fact of the matter is that, based on the demo and reviews, it is not a fun game. I don't want to play "The Sims 4: Duke Nukem Edition". DN3D had some interactivity and quirky stuff, but, at the end of the day, the game was fun to play without all that stuff. I guess the lack of drawing on whiteboards in games was a sore spot for George Broussard...

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
Why does this game is topseller in the UK for example after the demo was out. It is top seller on Steam, Amazon, Gamestop ... all after the demo.

Oh, yes ... now I remeber. The last time people with brains listened to reviewers was when there was not internet and we had to buy magazines that covered games ... and demos were something of two years in the future.

Reviews are only opinions that in my experience matter as much about a game as the opinion of that homeless dude under the bridge over there. But then he mostly has more insight and intelligence than 99.96% reviewers out there ... and I am not talking about the DNF review.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The problem is when so many reviews agree. If the score distribution was a lot wider I would agree with you, but this is like a movie on Rotten Tomatoes with a less than 30% score.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
The problem is when so many reviews agree. If the score distribution was a lot wider I would agree with you, but this is like a movie on Rotten Tomatoes with a less than 30% score.

User reviews are ALWAYS more important than so called "professional" reviews. Granted their are the obvious troll posts but those are usually easy to point out. You, Hal, and DP I consider a part of the user community, therefore your reviews carry more weight. You aren't being paid off by a company to give a good review(at least I hope not) :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I kind of wish I ever had been :p

I'm going to play DNF. I at least want to witness the next Daikatana if nothing else :p

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Looks like a contest who can burn the game the most.

I'm sure that if DNF had better graphics (and everything else the same) most of the reviews would have much higher scores.

It's decent but not better than that. I liked the boss fights and once the game gets out of the whole "let's point out our interactivity" phase it gets more fun but it's still a fairly flawed game. I found it funny (though I guess I would've found the ending funnier if I had actually played the scene from CoD4 it was spoofing) but then again I'm more of the puerile bend there, Portal's humor didn't work much for me.

What surprised me was that the game has lag compensation, after playing so many Unreal Engine 3 games I wasn't expecting DNF of all games to have netcode where aiming hitscan weapons is not guesswork.

After beating DNF yesterday I dug out Necrovision today, that was like 2€ on Steam and offers much more fun mass combat. The main character spouts pretty much the same oneliners as Duke. It also has a bit of Bulletstorm to it (came out way before BS though).

Last edited:

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
[GU]elmur_fud;2518644 said:

Consolization pussifies anything. If you are going to port a game, port it after launch.

QUOTE]

<Off topic>Hey with that pussifies word I used to mention when Im playing in official Epic greed #2 ...I had seen you before playing in this server?</Off topic>

Go ahead with this post