dual mode

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
G

Let's think about this situation:

It'll be possible to grab an enemy's weapon(s). btw: maybe you could get extra money for these

You've got an M9 and get another. Will you HAVE to carry them in dual mode?

W

Warren

First off, remember- money is N O N accumulative.. which means you don't EARN it.. it's just there as a variable of balance.. nothing more.

Second, the only way you'll be able to use 2 guns at once is if you choose the weapon again.. for instance, if you have 2 M9 pistols which are bound to keyboard number 1, then you press 1 to choose one pistol, then press 1 again to choose a second pistol. That simple. Choose 1 again, and you're back to one pistol. It'd be sweet using dual weapons with a variety and not the same ones (DE .50 and FiveseveN pistols at once) but that may get too complex.

If you have a mousewheel like I do, you cycle to the M9, but then you'll have to press number 1 to bring up the second M9.

We also may put all pistols attached to button #1, and if you have 2 M9's and 2 FiveseveN's than you press 1 to bring up the M9, press 1 again to bring up the second M9, then press 1 a third time to bring up a single FiveseveN, then pressing 1 a fourth time brings up two FiveseveN's. Or, if you have the mousewheel, cycle to the M9, then press 1 again, or cycle to the FiveseveN and press 1 again.. I know this may seem trivial, but I ALSO know someone WILL ask the obvious.. I hope this clears things up! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

R

RaekwoN

Have you considered making it possible provided that you have two pistols to use either one by itself. Example situation, you go crazy with the Desert Eagle in the right hand, then the clip is empty, then could you select the other (in the left hand) and use it, rather than reloading the right.

Possible, may get complex when it comes to reloading issues. People may want to reload the right while firing the left. No that wouldn't work would it. Too complex. Still the left right hand thing may work, won't it?

RaekwoN out.

W

Warren

Hmmm.. more than likely, we'll make each weapon fire alternately. If one side runs out of ammo, you just keep firing until the other side runs out. Then you will lower both weapons, wait for a period of time, then raise them again, loaded. I just don't want to take the extra time to add in dual weapon reloading animations.. got enough to worry about /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif after all it worked in Goldeneye, right? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

G

As much as I like portraying Chow-Yun Fat, I'm not so sure about the dual pistol mode. I hope that accuracy and reload time are accounted for.

I say this becuase using two guns in a combat situation is not realistic, two is not better than one. Trying to aim both weapons leads to exceedingly bad accuracy, compared to just aiming one. People proficient at shooting have demonstrated that you can put a full magazine into a six inch circle as fast as you can pull the trigger. Imagine trying to do this with two weapons, given the recoil. I have tried it and the results were dismal. Despite the best shooter doing it, this would be exceedingly difficult to get the same rate of fire, let alone the accuracy.

Reloading is another issue altogether. Never mind the time that it takes to reload two weapons, but the clumsiness of not having a free hand, or having to switch guns in order to have a free hand would be a huge factor in reloading. Hypothetically, if you shoot two magazines of 10, go to one knee or behind a corner to reload, and your opponent is less than 20 yards away, youre toast, as they could overrun you.

I think that Raekwon's idea of dual pistols that you could alternate was good, and I understand that there will be a dual mode in 3.0. I just wanted to make a case for accuracy and reload time as a something to be controlled for.

Coffey"I like my Mac, but I think people can make their own choices"Can

W

Warren

Yes, I agree with you and know exactly what you're saying. Dual weapons will not be that accurate as you can't aim directly down the sights for either weapon with both elevated (you could, but we won't be) so instead, we'll be taking full advantage of our new target reticle system. Your reticle will increase in size which will make it difficult to aim efficiently with. And reload times will be significantly effected. You'll lower your weapons for a fair amount of time before raising them again, reloaded. Obviously this whole idea is more for fun, but it can be deadly at a short range- you'll have twice the ammo immediately available. And of course if you're using dual G11's, accuracy is horrid, aiming not an option, and reload time is disgusting.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif It won't be easy allowing the user as much control as possible over their weapons, but we'll do our best to find a fair balance.

B

Billdog

Will it be possible to have an extra loaded weapon in the belt, so when the first pistol is out, you draw the other that is still full?
Double G11: If you striped the "onboard" extra 2 magazines of, how big difference is there in firing G11 vs. mini-Uzi akimbo?

W

Warren

That's a good question.. it'll depend on how easy it is to configure a 'my favorite weapons' list or something.. if you put your weapons into categories (pistols, SMG, assault rifles, etc) then maybe if you expend one weapon, but have another of the same category, it would default next-- unless you have that switch weapons thing turned off like I do for UT... We'll look at that further in the development.

For the G11, the most obvious thing is it's ability to hold 50 rounds per clip, so more ammo. and a little bit more of a punch than the mini uzi's 9mm as well. But carrying two G11's is bulky and takes away a lot of weight and money.. two mini uzi's on the other hand is easy to carry/conceal, and easier to reload, which makes for a quicker turnaround so to speak.

R

RaekwoN

G11 - Never heard of it. Where can I get info, Billdog you should be able to field this one.

B

Billdog

I thought we'r going to use the G11 K2 (45 clip, 2 spare "onboard").
Combining the balanced handle and bullpup design with 8½ pound when loaded with 45 rounds, almost no recoil and high firepower. Isn't the G11 almost made to be fired by a wounded person?

[This message has been edited by Billdog (edited 11-02-1999).]