PC Gaming Alliance Formed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
The bad thing about it is this isn't going to help linux or mac gamers much (err at all). About all I see coming out of this is Microsoft getting free contributions for DX11 and of course more non linux compatable hardware that perhaps since MS is involved it would actually violate EULA to use on anything but Windows.

But I guess well have to wait and see.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
The bad thing about it is this isn't going to help linux or mac gamers much (err at all). About all I see coming out of this is Microsoft getting free contributions for DX11 and of course more non linux compatable hardware that perhaps since MS is involved it would actually violate EULA to use on anything but Windows.

But I guess well have to wait and see.
Yea -- that's not really -- legal.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So the question is, would you rather have PC games on Windows only or no PC games at all? :)

BigDragon

Jan 20, 2008
Reston, VA
Doing an official PC Gaming Alliance sounds like a good idea. It's about damn time to be honest. They should have done this years ago. It seems these days you have to hunt around for smaller developers to see real talent in PC game design. I just recently picked up an outstanding RTS game that's highly addicting despite its flaws. I'm going to go play it in a matter of minutes and have been spending hours upon hours playing. Nothing is perfect, but this game reeks of polish and it's been a while since I've played a polished game. Gears and UT3 were lacking that. Crysis has polish, but they left some big gaps. If Epic stays in that list of supporters, they need a big fat asterisk behind their name to specify engine development only because their latest products have demonstrated PC games interest them little.

In that list of supporters, I like seeing a bunch of the big names in there. The hardware manufacturers make tons of money from gamers who buy the high-end hardware. Microsoft would be smart to expand PC gaming support to increase sales of their OS's and give them a leg up against Nintendo and Sony by having the PC market, which I have yet to see Nintendo or Sony really produce a game for.

Yea -- that's not really -- legal.
In Microsoft's world, no business strategy is illegal until someone says it is.

Perhaps Cliffy and Mark will become spokespersons for Xbox and PS (respectively) and we'll get someone who'll be serious and steadfast enough about PC games that he/she won't be ridiculed every time they say something like "two weeks" or "when it's done". :D
We'll probably get stuck with Jeff Morris. :lol::lol::lol: Pretty sad. I'd be much more interested reading news from a PCGA spokesperson.

Last edited:

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
From a hardware perspective a lot of the problem comes from the fact that PC's need that high end hardware to play games because all the backend software sucks up so much recourses.

It can't just be magic fairy guru programming powder that makes the Xbox 360 with such pitiful system specs able to run games that would normally require 3 times the resources on a PC.

What I think would help is if someone developed a way to completely unload all other programs from the system when running a game.

Take a look at this to get an idea of how it would work.
http://www.phoenix.com/en/Products/Browse+by+Products/Phoenix+HyperSpace/default.htm

The difference here is that the Phoenix Hypercore runs at startup whereas any game layers would be run whenever a game is initiated.

Basically what would happen is that when a game is run, all other programs are unloaded from memory and hardware usage. A piece of code would still be left behind to tell windows to come back at the closing of the game.

Just like that Hypercore, within the gaming environment there will be basic functionality of internet protocols for voicechat, and all that.

What this would do is free up tremendous amounts of resources to devote to gaming.

Its well know that PC's have several times the power of consoles, so where does it all go? If all of it can be devoted specifically to a game then who knows how much better things would run, or how much more could be accomplished that cannot be done on consoles.

Either this is a good idea, or I don't know what I'm talking about. :eek:

KeithZG

will forever be nostalgic
Oct 14, 2003
Visit site
From a hardware perspective a lot of the problem comes from the fact that PC's need that high end hardware to play games because all the backend software sucks up so much recourses.

Its well know that PC's have several times the power of consoles, so where does it all go? If all of it can be devoted specifically to a game then who knows how much better things would run, or how much more could be accomplished that cannot be done on consoles.

Well personally as of late I've been gaming using a 64-bit fluxbox session, I just log into it and fire up ET:QW and it does seem to run rather spectacularly despite my relatively "dated" hardware (Geforce 7800, AMD 4400+ X2). But of course that kind of solution is very much not what players in this like Microsoft would want to see, for obvious reasons (perhaps related: as of yet I can't play UT3 this way), so I can't say I'm particularly enthused for this "alliance".

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
So the question is, would you rather have PC games on Windows only or no PC games at all? :)

I get what your saying but I don't think we have quite got to that point but this alliance would probably end up causing that situation.

OS Manufacturers: 1
CPU / Chipset Manufacturers: All (going to exclude the IBMs and Suns)
Graphics Card Manufacturers: All
Brand Name Computers: 4 (most of the household brands)
Game Companies: 2
Random Company: 1, would like to know what Razor's share hold is in this, bet its pretty insignificant.

Again not saying it will be a bad thing I'm just am not a trusting person especially when 1 company gets all these other companies to join up but excludes their competition. I already am not happy with the DirectX situation which got even worse when they made DirectX 10 Vista only, it only complicates things for game developers who actually want to support other operating systems.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
There is no reason to trust them, but at least people are out there that are trying to keep the PC as a viable platform. I'd rather have 75% of the games coming out on PC at some point than 5%.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I was thinking about this earlier tonight, along with some of Peter Molyneaux's recent comments on the state of PC Gaming which he claims is mostly "World of Warcraft and The Sims".

Well you know what? It's hard to get people to upgrade to play newer games when WoW and The Sims are the top sellers. Hell, Counter-Strike and Starcraft are still dominant games in their genres. Can anyone tell me what the common link is?

All these games can be run on a TOASTER (Sims 2 and WoW requiring a slightly beefier toaster, but a toaster regardless). How about casual games which don't usually require a ton of resources or a 4 hour long tutorial? More toasters!

If they want to get people to invest in PC Gaming, we can't have this crazy BS where I have to go out and shell out for more than a PS3 in order to get by for a couple more years. Console cycles last close to 5 years on average and cost say $300-400. New PC hardware... you're talking $200 for a mid-range card, $100+ for the mobo, $100+ for the processor, $100+ for RAM, and we'll toss in another $100 for Windows. That's easily $600+ and you'll get by for nearly 3 years. So let's see. Consoles cost less and last longer... why do we bother with PC games? I spent $600 dollars 2.5 years ago to upgrade my main PC and I could barely play the BioShock and UT3 demos. This is not satisfactory.

The only way they can bail out PC gaming (assuming it is actually dying and not just caught in some weird cycle as this industry tends to follow... let's see RTS games already had their spot light, FPS games are slowly losing their prime time... hmmmm) is the following, in my opinion:

1) Drop hardware costs. These need to come down to something more manageable for the average user. Silicon is cheap these days, storage is plentiful. If consoles are more attractive because they are cheaper then the PC side needs to come down in price to remain relevant.

2) Leaner OS. MS can start by quit trying to force gamers to upgrade to Vista prematurely by keeping DX10 as the carrot before the proverbial stick. Compared to XP, Vista's minimal requirements are insane. I'm sorry, games take enough resources these days, I don't need the OS sucking up even more of them in the background.

3) Developers need to write scaling code better, and quit targeting high-end performance systems. I find it insane that people were actually excited about Crysis bringing their systems to their knees. This is absurd. If companies want to get more people buying their software they need to focus their attention more on lower end systems. There's no point in making a game and releasing it if no one can play it. Consoles sell because you don't have to worry about system requirements. Stuff just works. If I could wait 4 years between upgrades, that's money I could put towards more games.

4) An optional nice gesture would be less restrictive DRM. Either ditch it entirely or allow the developers to strip it via later patches, something Epic traditionally does and Blizzard has started doing recently.

I think it's a nobel idea to form a committee of sorts to review the state of PC Gaming, but I highly doubt anything is going to come out of this. This is a nice "feel-good" move, but without more companies participating (Epic is the only developer) this seems like nothing more than an expanded version of Microsoft's Games for Windows initiative. Where is EA? Where is Blizzard? Ubisoft?

dub

Feb 12, 2002
This is a good one.
- Activision
+ SecuROM
dubEpicFacepalm130.gif

Last edited: