TIL from R-Todd Akin that if truely raped women can't get pregnant

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
So...free speech is okay, as long what's being said agrees with your opinions and ideologies?

No. Free speech is okay as long as no one is getting hurt. A jerk deserves to be silenced for saying something ignorant. When someone feels strongly about something that is completely wrong and refuses to budge they deserve to be removed from the conversation. Women having a mechanism to deny insemination from a rapist isn't an opinion, rather it's a fucking travesty of modern science.

People are free to have their own opinions, but they aren't free to have their own facts. False "facts" are what hurt societies. Blue being my favorite color is my entitled opinion, saying the holocaust never happened or rapists can't impregnate victims isn't. If you can't understand the danger of this then you're either blind or choosing to ignore the problem because it somehow benefits you in some way.

Just because you subscribe to a faith that says a group of specialized cells that have yet to grow to establish a unique lifeform has a magical soul that we must cherish doesn't give you the right to dictate that your view is best for society because you have zero evidence in your favor and therefore zero factual basis. It especially doesn't give you the right to make up false scientific claims to aid your cause. This is the major problem with this country, we allow unverified opinions to intermingle with facts when creating policy. Hell, people here don't even know the difference between opinion and fact in most cases.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
if that's the case, then you're just being unreasonable.

the price for liberty is eternal vigilance.
not everyone is going to be completely responsible. you just have to deal with it. either you want a Nanny state, or you want the freedom for some people to be stupid.

there's not a lot of room for middle ground.

I know I'm being unreasonable. I'm simply venting and wishing I wasn't genetically related to Akin.

That being said, a trustworthy watchdog organization isn't impossible, just look at factcheck.org. As long as it never becomes corrupted, it's what we need. The only problem is that hardly anyone utilizes information like that, they rather create their own false reality in their minds. I guess it's empowering to them, I don't get it, not wired that way.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
So you're saying misinformation shouldn't be allowed. I agree with this.

I'm just saying bullshit shouldn't be tolerated and everyone should look at any politician and wonder what he or she is trying to actually accomplish instead of buying into their sales pitch. You know, basic wisdom a 10 year old should have.

Last edited:
no it doesn't.

people weren't allowed to say "fuck you, I'm right" in France from about 1750 to 1799... and the streets ran red with blood.
people weren't allowed to say "fuck you, I'm right" in Germany from about 1929 to 1946... and 6 million Jews died.
people weren't allowed to say "fuck you, I'm right" in Iraq from about 1980 to 2003... and 200,000 Kurds died.

shall I continue?

Actually in Germany from 1929-1946 all anyone in Germany ever heard was "Fuck you I'm right!"

...actually that applies to all 3 of these situations.

Try harder, try again!

Luv_Studd

Aug 17, 1999
VT
Visit site
“Our civil rights have no dependence upon our religious opinions more than our opinions in physics or geometry.”
― Thomas Jefferson

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
When someone feels strongly about something that is completely wrong and refuses to budge they deserve to be removed from the conversation.

And who is going to be this omniscient arbiter of all truth, you? This attitude is exactly what leads to censorship, dictatorships, and all other forms of tyranny. "I know I'm right, and anyone who has facts that disagree with mine should be silenced".

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Usually, but also especially in this case, hard science could be the arbiter. :rolleyes:

Hard science according to who? Which science are we going to choose over the other? Which scientist is going to be given dominion over what is fact and what is not? NAZI'S and Chicoms had plenty of "science" to subjugate people with. They can make up scientific fact just as easily as any other fact. What makes you think that hard science can be any more fair or transparent than any other method of control that we should willingly give up our own ability to decide what is fact? What you are advocating is flat out the most dangerous and insane idea I have ever seen advocated on the forum. It is the abandonment of free speech and freedom of religion, and it's just as crazy as handing over the entire government to the Pope.

No single man or philosophy on this earth today has a monopoly on truth.

Last edited:

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
Our opinions on who gets a voice and who doesn't are semi-arbitrary. It all seems to center around who is perceived to be a threat, which in turn is really about consensus regarding who it's acceptable to threaten. Currently 'criminals' are fair game but serial killers with badges are holy. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?

Ultimately we will, at a macroscopic scale, work everything out in favor of the selfish gene.

P.S. I think TWD is confused about the meaning of words like 'science' and 'fact'. Surprise.

Last edited:

phil

OH GOD
Jan 3, 2000
Hard science according to who? Which science are we going to choose over the other? Which scientist is going to be given dominion over what is fact and what is not? NAZI'S and Chicoms had plenty of "science" to subjugate people with. They can make up scientific fact just as easily as any other fact. What makes you think that hard science can be any more fair or transparent than any other method of control that we should willingly give up our own ability to decide what is fact? What you are advocating is flat out the most dangerous and insane idea I have ever seen advocated on the forum. It is the abandonment of free speech and freedom of religion, and it's just as crazy as handing over the entire government to the Pope.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

sci·ence
noun \ˈsī-ən(t)s\
Definition of SCIENCE
: knowledge or a system of knowledge covering general truths or the operation of general laws especially as obtained and tested through the scientific method and concerned with the physical world and its phenomena

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
And who is going to be this omniscient arbiter of all truth, you? This attitude is exactly what leads to censorship, dictatorships, and all other forms of tyranny. "I know I'm right, and anyone who has facts that disagree with mine should be silenced".

That was a pretty silly comment. How can I be for tyranny and censorship if I'm against people spreading false information? There is no grand arbiter, only a collection of rigorously tested data. This is why your phone works and why you will never get polio amongst many other things. Data drives these things. Data should drive laws, not unfounded opinions.

I'm just saying uneducated people shouldn't lead other people and shouldn't be the people making decisions. Qualifications can be tested and are tested ad nauseum through out the world. This is how shit actually gets done and how we progress. People designing your computer do not and cannot think electricity comes from magical elves, furthermore, people designing laws shouldn't believe women can't get pregnant from rape. Facts are facts and cannot be contradictory. I think you think opinions are facts which is a common problem in this country.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/27/tom-smith-rape_n_1834234.html

Tom Smith, GOP Senate Candidate: Pregnancy From Rape Similar To 'Having A Baby Out Of Wedlock'

-----

Ugh, how moronic are these folks that run for public office, and how even more moronic are the constituents who vote for these people? Good thing is that in current polls, incumbent Bob Casey Jr has a convincing lead for quite some time.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004

If you really think science is the same as philosophy please educate yourself. You sound as dumb as Akin right now. I'm not advocating the end of free speech or freedom of religion. Never was.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
My thoughts of this crazy train of quotes:

When someone feels strongly about something that is completely wrong and refuses to budge they deserve to be removed from the conversation.

So, you say that this type of rhetoric DeathBooger says causes censorship, dictatorship, tyranny, etc. That is simply not true. When something is blatantly proven to be a fact, the truth, etc, and some party completely disregards the validity of the truth (i.e. saying a "legitimate rape will cause a women's body to shut down the assault of the army of sperm," where that just simply isn't the truth), that party should not be part of policy making.

Simply put, DeathBooger is right. Hardline stances on issues based on clearly false information should not have a say in creating policy and law.

Usually, but also especially in this case, hard science could be the arbiter. :rolleyes:

You are confusing what the scientific process is and how it relates to public policy.

Science starts out as an experiment that pits a hypothesis or hypotheses against a control. Then, the observations are logged. This same process is repeated again and again to flush out any chance of external variables affecting the data. Then, the data is written into a research article, and then peer reviewed by other scientists. If it meets the standards of the scientific method, then it is published. Meanwhile, in many many other parts of the world, independent scientists (and possibly collaborators) are doing the same thing. Repeating the experiment, writing journal articles, getting them peer reviewed and published. After that is done, if there is a similar signal between the findings, then a general conclusion of the truth or a fact can be gained. Continuing these experiments and gaining similar results, the scientific theory can become scientific law.

Now, bringing up the Nazis and the Chinese Communists is ridiculous. Both are not scientists in of themselves, and they either cherry picked scientific findings, or had their own 'scientists' make studies that follow their ideology. I am very certain that the "facts" that they used do not hold up to the rigors, standards, and findings of the scientific community.

The people in power simply fabricated information and passed it along as scientific fact.

It isn't like some Illuminati-esque super secret society of scientists somewhere in the world is making up bogus information to control the oblivious population of Earth...

The issue is not in Science, it is how policy makers in public office use and/or interpret scientific methods and findings.

-----

Now, I could get into how this all relates with Global Climate Change and how the skeptics, especially ones who hold public office, have all the science process wrong. And Evolution, and the Church and religion passing Creationism, masquerading as "Intelligent Design", as a scientific theory. But that would take too long and be a waste of key presses and my time.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
well obviously.

but a group of highly educated experts in their various fields of study who constantly publish, peer review, and reproduce each other's work in order to move towards the most relative truth we can find should be listened to and respected.

this is not Nazi Germany.
this is not Chinese Communist Party propaganda.

this is the international scientific community.
when they (virtually) unanimously agree on something, we can likely consider it to be the truth. even if it's just the truth so far.
but much more so than the "truth" that comes from other sources... like say a thousand year old book written by ignorant bigots.