Graphic style

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
We all know UE4 is capable of some pretty nice looking visuals, but do you think it's necessary to go all out for a UT game?

The lower the requirements the most people will play it. I'd hate to say it, but I think Valve's art style is the way to go. It doesn't have to be goofy, but brightly colored stuff is at lot more visible than realistic space marine armor with flashlights place on top all over it.

Fortnite's style seems like it would work well for it. It would be more demanding than Valve's games, but it would be great for visibility.
http://www.fortnite.com/gallery/monsters

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Visual Style

In short - clean looking yet detailed levels where geometry, materials and post-processing do not hinder visibility or movement. They don't have to be technological showcases by any means.

Art style should also maintain consistency throughout the game. From player models to weapons to signature levels. Of course community content creators can expand on that, but it's important that central tone (look and feel) is established that defines the experience.

Player (human) models should feel realistic with sci-fi elements, but nothing over the top. Naturally, they should stand out from the background without any bandaids. I definitely don't want to see glowsticks running over the map. These kind of things should be strictly optional for people who need them.

2031hz.jpg

bmarvo

Jul 21, 2013
They don't have to be technological showcases by any means.

Epic has already stated in their Art subforum that they will go a lot cleaner and more colorful than UT3, but I think they still want this game to be a technological showcase to a degree. It's pretty clear that direct monetary profits are not Epic's goal with this game. It really is a way to make more people aware of the new Engine and its capabilities. Just my $.02

I do think that a strong competitive scene is necessary for the long term success of this game. I'd really like to see a mod that just removed unnecessary scenery and flattened out textures in a map for competitive play (I believe q3/qlive does this).

Nevzat

Jan 28, 2009
Cyprus
as long as characters dont glow like ut3 when they went far i am fine with it
also its very hard to pick characters skins in ut 3

Princess_Die

Always Out Numbered... Never Out Gunned
Feb 22, 2006
I'd prefer less haze/fog for the maps. A cleaner futuristic look which unique styles that would work well with each other.

NO asian, turkish, or space egyptian themes.

Characters more in the style of UC2.

Rohit

May 29, 2008
NO asian, turkish, or space egyptian themes.
Strongly disagree. Crazy themes like these are what made UT unique for me, especially compared to Quake 3. They just make for interesting sci-fi.

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
Anime style for characters

- Proportions suit a faster pace with higher exaggeration and visibility without resorting to "pro" addons and mods
- Less texture usage since you'd need less materials to render with
- Heavy personality and expression with a lot of focus on the face, leading to...
- More open for marketing opportunities in Asia-based regions - which can be key to F2P success