UE3 - General Bend Modifier in MAX

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ninjanomics

Dr. Doom Industries
Jan 25, 2008
www.corydfarris.com
So, I'm building Trim meshes for my scene. I have a 512x32x64 unit section that I need to make a curved piece for. When I slap the bend modifier on it, the bottom part stays on the grid, but the other end of the piece is well off of the grid.

I thought of doing a Free Form Deform 2x2x2 on it, but then that makes the bottom section too narrow.

Kevin Johnstone talks about this technique here http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showpost.php?p=554081&postcount=62 but I can't find anyone who knows how to keep the end of the sections properly on the grid:mad:

Right now I'm doing somewhat of a hack, by using the bend modifier, then cloning 2 of the straight pieces that the bent variant will match. Once placed at the desired grid location, I select the end verts and snap them to where they should have been in the first place. If I use soft selection it keeps it looking pretty close to what it should be.

If anyone has a more effective technique, please drop the knowledge on me :D

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
Yeah bend is a bit of a nuisance, for simple profiles it's probably worth just using a loft, if that's not an option then you can use the technique that I use when creating bent sections. I'm not claiming this is the absolute best way but it does work.

In the following example I've got a 20x20x200 section (although you can use whatever you want, the principle is the same. This is using a radius of 120 to try and get the most natural bend for the length. For your piece you will need to use r radius of:

(512 * (90 / 360)) / (PI * 2) = 325.9 (for a 90 degree bend)

So 320 should work for a 90 degree bend, you always want to be on-grid and also just under the suggested radius and you'll see why.

Here is the scene with 3 of the sections to for reference, we'll bend the blue piece. Set up your section to be bent so that it is at the same offset from the origin as your desired radius:

bend01.png

bend02.png

Apply the bend modifier but don't do anything with it yet:

bend03.png

Next apply a symmetry modifier and rotate it to half of the total bend (so in this case 45 degrees), then snap it to the point you want to be the "pivot" for your bend, in this case the origin point:

bend04.png

Next go back to your bend modifier and alter the Angle property to the desired bend amount, but then alter it until your radius looks smooth, I went to 95 degrees here:

bend05.png

Finished bend looks like the following:

bend06.png

Because your start point is on-grid and your symmetry point is on-grid, the end point should be on-grid also and you have a natural bend. Also, if you've applied and collapsed your UV coordinates beforehand, the UV's will be nicely mirrored too.

There's probably a better way of doing this but this method works for me, plus you can use it to create nice angles and other weird stuff, the symmetry modifier keeps your start and end on-grid.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Last edited:

ninjanomics

Dr. Doom Industries
Jan 25, 2008
www.corydfarris.com
Nice! yeah, that's much tighter than the soft selection technique I was using before. I hadn't even though about the symmetry modifier to get the other end of it to match up. Which is weird, because I'm a big proponent of 'if it isn't working, try a symmetry modifier!'

Thanks, EQ

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
Heh, no problem. Yeah soft selection has it's uses but I always feel dirty sticking an edit poly or edit mesh on the top my nice shiny stack :)
I'm a big proponent of 'if it isn't working, try a symmetry modifier!'
Having this as a rubberstamp would be awesome, or maybe a bumper sticker. Also, sorry if the step-by-step reply was a bit overkill, it's more for the benefit of anyone that finds this thread who has the same question. Had a quick look at your website and some nice work there.

Last edited:

ninjanomics

Dr. Doom Industries
Jan 25, 2008
www.corydfarris.com
Bumper sticker, huh? ::googles 'making your own bumper stickers':: We'll be RICH! :lol:

Thanks, man!

I'm working on kicking out some new stuff now. Personal work that I won't need to put a company logo on. I've been wanting to do this one opacity.us location as a CTF level for a while now. I finally have the time to devote to it, and I'm going to try and 'knock it out the park' as they say.

Last edited: