With the GTX 680 released, I'm torn between two GPUs...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
I was just looking at the GTX 680 specs side by side with the HD 7970 specs over at Newegg just today...and while I do agree with both sides of the spectrum, it's gonna be a real tight squeeze in terms of which one to really be looking into. Anyone have any ideas which one would be the better performing card between these two? It's one of the toughest decisions I might make all year, and I'm pretty sure that there were others in the same boat. Anyone have any ideas?

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Sounds good. I might wait for the demand and hype to die down a little before picking one up. Kind of hard to come by at the moment. Maybe I'll wait until Uncle Sam gives me my refund in the mail.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I've always been a fan of Nvidia and gone with them, they seem to know what they're doing. AMD seems like the poor mans Nvidia to me. :lol: Also I heard they have lower quality drivers or have more driver problems compared to Nvidia.

In the end it probably won't make a huge difference though, pick whichever one you're a fan of or feel more comfortable with. Heck, I'm still using a 9800 and play most games on med-high.

Last edited:

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
True, I guess you're right, and they also are the only GPU with stereoscopic 3D display standards, too...so that makes it almost unanimous. All right, I'll wait until the supply of the GTX 680 becomes more abundant, then I'll be all over one, and I might as well pick up the 3D Vision 2 Kit as well (even tho I'll have to use 3DTV Play since I have a 3D LED TV that I have this rig hooked up to).

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
other variants of kepler are supposed to come around may, too. :)

kepler seems like a definite keeper. huge improvements from the 5XX series from a functionality stand-point (no need for multiple GPUs for 3D or mutli-displays...).
I'll get it once I get my PC in my new home. :)

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Yeah, I hear a few people at the EVGA forums are waiting for the 4GB FTW version of the GTX 680, although I'm sure that it's gonna be a $700 card, most likely...

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
I'm talking about the 670 thingy cards. so more mid-ranged, less costy cards. there might even be a bios hack to have them unlock to a higher-end card.:p

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Well, considering that, it probably could be at least May until we find a decent supply of 680s to go around as it is. Seems like by then the high demand may be switching to those other GPUs... So at least by then I should be able to pick up the 2GB 680 with no problem. I mean, look how long it took AMD to finally supply the amounts of HD 7970s to more tolerable levels for everybody. So I expect it to take as long, if not a little more for the demand for this one to die down to those levels.

Last edited: