Unofficial technical weapon question forum.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Cans existed for the MP-40, P-38, a swarm of .32ACP Czech, and German made pocket automatics (CZ-27's seem to be the bulk of these), and the MP-44 (strangely enough, subsonic munitions were made for the Stug, and intended to be issued with a short, nasty little supressor.) Rifle caliber supressors, or moderators seem to be few and far between in the Wermacht inventory.

While it would seem possible to supress the P-08, I've never seen nor heard of one. Kind of like supressing a Mauser C-96, I guess it just "was'nt done".

More drunken ramblings.

Meplat-

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Snakebite- This reputation has more to do with the later non Military Armament Corp made clones. They were intended to be an inexpensive open bolt SMG, using common ball ammo. Unfortunately, civillian and the few police users seem to like putting everything from shoddy reloads, to radical hollow point projectiled ammo in them. Couple this with the later clones having at best "indiffrent" quality control, and you'll get the rep they have.

When they work, they're fun.

Meplat-

Feb 26, 2001
England
Thanks for the info Meplat, I heard the SAS used to use them for vehicle defense (to shock attackers). Would be a nice gun to see in Inf :)

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
I just found this picture while reading my morning magazine....

3 questions came to my mind.

Is this a minimi?

Is this an acog?

If both anwser are yes, why not in Inf? That would be so usefull.
Is it a time/modelling issue, a game balance issue or is it some other obscure reason?

BTW, that M2 looks as nasty in IRL as it does in INF :)

Attachments

• Iraq.jpg
    Iraq.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 144

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
M249 SAW with an M145 Elcan. Same scope the Canadian C7 gets. The marines use it, but I don't know about the Army.

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Interesting pic. Looks like an early Aimpoint on the M2, and that 249 has a LOT of "garbage" hanging off it. Makes me wonder where the turn signals and mudflaps are. Looks like a flashlight, or possibly an IR laser unit on the forestock..
Meplat-

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
Isn't the thing on the forestock an AN/PEQ2 IR laser?

That'd make the most sense as they appear to be sticking those on just about everything (I even got a photo of a Barret with one attached).

NoFate

BAD TAQUE'S ROBAR..BAD ROBAR!
Geo, a cartridge is the complete unit made up of a casing that holds a projectile in front of an explosive charge. The first cartridges, used on muskets were blackpowder and a lead ball wrapped tightly in paper. The end of the cartridge was bitten off and dumped onto the barrel powder-first. Then primered cartridges were developed that contained a priming charge to ignite the powder charge in the cartridge. After much experimentation, the standard cartridge became a metal case with the primer at the rear of the cartridge, as with modern ammunition.

The term clip is sometimes used to refer to a spring-loaded box (<==magazine) that feeds cartridges into the receiver of a firearm. But clip more accurately refers to the stripperclips that were used to rapidly, albeit manually, feed cartridges into the built-in magazine found in a great many firearms. Examples of this would be the Mauser model98, the Springfield Model1903, and the M1 Garand. The Garand rifle's clip differed somewhat from traditional clips in that it was inserted into the magazine along with the cartridges it contained. Up until that time, the clip was inserted into a fitting or notch in the receiver and the rounds were stripped from it into the magazine with a push of your thumb, hence stripperclip. During late WWI and throughout World War II more benefits were found in the use of detachable magazines, which became the standard method of feeding modern military weapons. In familiarity, 'detatchable magazine' was shortened to just magazine.

- NF

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
All of them are the correct term for something.

A magazine is two things. The one you'd know best is the box that you see removed from various weapons and replaced with a fresh one during reloading. Bolt action rifles also have a magazine, it just isn't detatchable. The magazine is basically whatever part of the weapon stores ammunition.

A clip is what is often used to load ammunition into bolt action rifles. It's the name given to any number of rounds clipped together to aid in the speedy loading of a weapon. The Garand also uses clips to load. A clip is not the same as a magazine. The clip goes INTO the magazine. If you've ever played any of the World War 2 based FPS games, you'll see the reload animation for the botl action rifles often sees you loading 5 rounds at a time. Those 5 rounds are on a clip.

A cartridge is just another name for a round of ammunition.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
A cartridge is just another name for a round of ammunition.
True, and a bullet is NOT a cartridge (even though we often refer to cartridges as bullets. This one is one that burns a lot of people ... I've known several people who thought they where getting awesome deals on ammo because they bought a box of "100 bullets" for real cheap, just to get them home and find out that the bullet is only the projectile part of the cartridge :p

Bolt action rifles also have a magazine, it just isn't detatchable.
Though most bolt action rifles have fixed magazines, there are detachable magazine bolt action rifles (the Robar in INF is one that comes to mind). Plus there are kits to convert fixed magazine bolt guns to detchable (IIRC, this is a popular mod for Enfield rifles). I wonder if there's such a kit for an M98 Mauser.

Here's a good Glossary of Firearms Terms
http://www.targetshooting.ca/reframerize.cfm?redirect=http://www.targetshooting.ca/glossary.htm

Last edited:

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Why would you want to destroy such a fantastic rifle by doing that to it?

Also, you can take the base plate out of a Kar 98 magazine, so I guess it's detatchable if you have a screwdriver handy :p

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Geo, a cartridge is the complete unit made up of a casing that holds a projectile in front of an explosive charge.

lord I even knew that... wonder why i mixed this one up. It's cartouche in french. I just didn't though about it longer then 2 seconds when I wrote my post.

As for the rest, it clears it up a little. I just didn't get the Bolt action rifles also have a magazine, it just isn't detatchable part... The difference between the clip and magazine is pretty clear now but I'll re-read your post after a good night of sleep. Maybe I'll get this part about detachable mag better then... its 1h30 after all here. ;)

I'm confused because one of the few rifles I had the chance to fire a few time was the Lee Enfield No. 4 (WWII, corea and even still used today for training and special uses) would have a detachable magazine if I get your explanation correcly. but it is a bolt-action rifle too.

NoFate

BAD TAQUE'S ROBAR..BAD ROBAR!
That's right Geo, the Enfield was one of the few bolt-action weapons of that time that did use detatchable magazines. Detatchable magazines were and are far more common on automatic firearms. These days, most bolt-action weapons are specialized for more precise uses and don't usually have to be reloaded quickly. Any spraying to be done is left up to the sniper team's spotter ;)

EDIT - There were also several experimental or limited-production bolt-action rifles that were modified versions of varients already being mass-produced. But here again, the automatic firearm was just so much more useful a weapon on the battlefield that bolt-action innovation fell to the wayside for many years....until military forces around the world found that the dedicated sniper was almost as indispensable in battle as the machinegun.

EDIT EDIT :p - And to the best of my memory, the Enfield was still loaded by stripperclip, even though the magazine was detatchable.

- NF

Last edited:

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
geogob said:
As for the rest, it clears it up a little. I just didn't get the Bolt action rifles also have a magazine, it just isn't detatchable part... The difference between the clip and magazine is pretty clear now but I'll re-read your post after a good night of sleep. Maybe I'll get this part about detachable mag better then... its 1h30 after all here. ;)

The magazine is the part of the gun where the bullets reside when they aren't in use. Most bolt action rifles store them in the receiver, under and just behind the chamber (I.E Directly below the opening in the receiver). This storage area is called a magazine. That's all that the word really means, anyway. It isn't just a gun thing. Some ancient civilisations stored grain and stuff in buildings called magazines.

NoFate said:
EDIT EDIT :p - And to the best of my memory, the Enfield was still loaded by stripperclip, even though the magazine was detatchable.

Correct. Troops were never issued ammo in magazines. British troops received their ammo on 5 round stripper clips.

Last edited:

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
The magazine is the part of the gun where the bullets reside when they aren't in use. Most bolt action rifles store them in the receiver, under and just behind the chamber (I.E Directly below the opening in the receiver). This storage area is called a magazine. That's all that the word really means, anyway. It isn't just a gun thing. Some ancient civilisations stored grain and stuff in buildings called magazines.

Well that's pretty clear. I wan't sure if there was a different word for rifles, pistols, etc. Given this definition, it doesn't seem so.

That's how I it was thought too.