The Last of Us

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
My point is that there is no technical limitation preventing this game from being on other platforms, including PC.
..and you assumed I meant otherwise? I haven't claimed there was a technical limitation preventing this game from being ported to other platforms.

There are many paths they could have taken to make it easy to recompile. And there are plenty of companies using third party engines that release games in a few months, not years.
You keep bringing up alternate universes or hypotheticals which are always true in and of themselves, but I was commenting on things that have already transpired in this universe.

Uhhh... you said "most of the other PS3 ports I've seen, or even other PS3 exclusives, just can't measure up to what they manage to squeeze out of the PS3 hardware."
Yes, that was about performance; how much you can do per frame, or how complex your models can be, physics, etc. You can read more about how it was done with Uncharted 2.

On that topic: I don't think it's likely that ports spend the time required to adapt their titles to the PS3 hardware. Most use the GPU and CPU traditionally, but probably don't look into the SPE parts of the CPU. I don't know first hand if it's true that the PS3 hardware is more difficult to develop for, but that's the general idea I get from reading developer tears.

oh, and Sir_StrawMan, no one argued that the game couldn't be ported, only that the PS3 exclusive engine was a hindrance, and porting their own engine, or using a third party engine would require A LOT more time and resources, which they don't seem interested in doing. That is all.

Last edited:

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
Completed the game. Clocked in at about 18 hours game time.

Minireview: It's got the shooter and gear element. Flashlight. Stealth. There's nothing unique about the game in that regard. It's the story, how it's told how it unfolds, how it pulls you into the environment. Very good visuals. The frame rate does drop at times, with a very low frame rate in that one particle heavy corridor, but nothing that affects combat. Several minor culling mistakes (unimportant objects pop in/out of view at edge of screen in some places). The game is designed to kill you, a lot (easy mode doesn't help in that regard, but only adds aim assist). Really good voice acting and animations, not to mention textures (though quality does change in less important areas, which is fine). I'm very happy with the game. I started a new game right after I beat it (the remaining 70 % of it was played on easy *cough*), to see what the new game plus option was about. (Once you've beaten the game, you unlock New Game Plus (Chrono Trigger style), where you get to keep your vital upgrades, such as more health. The bonus unlocks weren't that special; they added three rendering modes; Old West, Dreampop, Black and White; some vanity stuff; and concept art. Some only unlocked when the game has been beaten on a specific difficulty. You unlock these with the $ you've earned throughout the game.)

(Also, here's the video I was searching for, where the developers explain how they utilized the PS3 hardware in Uncharted 2, since this game engine is based on it. It gives you some technical insight. These videos are on the game disc.)

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
So finally opted to watch the trailer. When Ellie spoke a few times I recognized the voice. Dug up some pics of the voice actress and was surprised by how much she'd changed in the past decade

Lw)f

Jul 1, 2013
from the few trailers i saw, it looks pretty damn awesome, i'm a fan of the survival/zombie genre though =) .

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
..and you assumed I meant otherwise? I haven't claimed there was a technical limitation preventing this game from being ported to other platforms.
You originally said "Your statement makes it sound as if Naughty Dog only needed to pass a "/WindowsPC" switch to the compiler in order to port it, but won't, because they want to be exclusive." So, yes, the only logical implication here is that there are technical limitations preventing them from porting the game. And there are technical limitations now, but when they started developing the game those limitations did not exist. They made a conscious choice to only support PS3. So the reality of the situation is that, if they had built the functionality in from the very beginning, Naughty Dog only needed to pass a flag to the compiler in order to port the game. They won't because they can't because they didn't.

Whether you meant there was a technical limitation or not is immaterial. You are showing a fundamental misunderstanding of what the people you were responding to initially were even saying.
You keep bringing up alternate universes or hypotheticals which are always true in and of themselves, but I was commenting on things that have already transpired in this universe.
I'm bringing up hypotheticals because there is literally no other way to have this discussion than to use hypotheticals. TLOU nor any other Naughty Dog game I can think of even exist on other platforms. So would you suggest I only talk about Naughty Dog porting their games to other platforms in a sense which factors in the happenings of this universe where Naughty Dog has never ported their games to other platforms? I just can't even fathom what you were thinking when you wrote this...
Yes, that was about performance
What difference does that make? Naughty Dogs games don't have perfect performance. Uncharted 3 skips and chugs in a few places. It's not unreasonable to assume that they could have used someone else's engine and gotten the same nice looking games with pretty much the same performance.
oh, and Sir_StrawMan, no one argued that the game couldn't be ported, only that the PS3 exclusive engine was a hindrance, and porting their own engine, or using a third party engine would require A LOT more time and resources, which they don't seem interested in doing. That is all.
I guess ad hominems help when you don't have an argument? I haven't used a strawman argument here that wasn't fed by lack of clarity on your part. But if this post is meant to represent your position, I can't see how your original response to this discussion makes any sense at all.

I never said or implied that you thought TLOU or any other game couldn't be ported to another system. You said that porting was not easy, I said they could have made it easy. Both statements are true. It's likely they used their own engine out of convenience and because they didn't want to rely on anyone else and also because their games are flagship titles for the PS and it wouldn't look as good if it said "running on some engine". That's fine, but making their games not easy to port, making their engine PS3 exclusive, making no effort to get their game on other platforms was a conscious decision by them. There is nobody to blame other than Naughty Dog for their games being PS3 exclusive and that is what we were discussing before you even joined in.

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
I haven't used a strawman argument here that wasn't fed by lack of clarity on your part.
You have to answer for your assumptions about my arguments, not I. Ask what people mean if something's unclear to you, next time.

Here's another example of your assumptions:
Naughty Dogs games don't have perfect performance.
Did I say that? No. Did you assume I said that? You certainly make it sound that way, in which case you inferred things based on a false premise you invented. You round things off too much.

I won't add more to this. I think it's a waste of my time and possibly yours. :)

rejecht

Attention Micronians
Jun 15, 2009
.no
sites.google.com
I don't recall frame rate drops in Uncharted 2 or 3, but then again it's been a while. They felt locked at 30 fps to me. TLOU is definitely A LOT worse.
Maybe it was from all the particle effects or smoke effects from grenades or something like that.

TLOU varied a lot there. There was also some weird render lag at one point, that didn't make sense visually. I don't remember getting caught up in the drops too much, so it probably didn't ruin the gameplay for me.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You have to answer for your assumptions about my arguments, not I. Ask what people mean if something's unclear to you, next time.

Here's another example of your assumptions:

Did I say that? No. Did you assume I said that? You certainly make it sound that way, in which case you inferred things based on a false premise you invented. You round things off too much.

I won't add more to this. I think it's a waste of my time and possibly yours. :)
It's a massive waste of time. After this post I'm convinced you do not know how to have a healthy discussion whatsoever.

Carbon

Altiloquent bloviator.
Mar 23, 2013
Your statement makes it sound as if Naughty Dog only needed to pass a "/WindowsPC" switch to the compiler in order to port it, but won't, because they want to be exclusive.

Get it sorted.