Review: Weapon Stuff

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jesco

Jul 7, 2001
Hamburg, Germany
forums.beyondunreal.com
[ Transcript of review for Weapon Stuff | Posted by Doobin on 2002-10-08 | Score: 8 ]
Are you bored with the way the standard UT weapons work? Don't you wish there was more customizability about them? This little mutator can help alleviate your boredom! It allows you to change the properties of different weapons. It's guaranteed to work with standart UT weapons, and usually works with others, so long as the weapon is described and recognised by UT via it's '.int' file. That's all it needs- if a weapons is declared in an int file, it can join the party. I myself tried it with Apocalypse Weapons beta 7, and it worked perfectly.

When you open up the mod menu, you'll see a drop-down list of all availiable weapons. Underneath, you can change the Ammo Regenerating rate, the Damage Scaling, the Self-Damage and the Momentum Scaling. You'll need to play about with the settings before you begine, or you won't see any difference from normal UT. After changing the weapons properties to suit your tastes, it's simply a case of selecting the mutator and playing. There are hundreds of different posibilities- make the Enforcer a one shot, one kill weapon, or have the Rocket Launcher do next to no damage, but slam you back miles in the air.

Single player works fine, and there is also support for multiplayer. When playing multiplayer, there are command lines you can use the change weapon properties without restarting the game. I guess these also work in single player, too.

Overall, this is a nice little mutator. It does exactly what it says, fuss-free, with a nice, simple clean interface. However, no mutator can ever be perfect- in fact, NOTHING can ever be perfect. There's always something that would make it better. How about adding several 'slots' into which you can save different weapons settings? And I know it's nit-picking, but it would be nice if the mutator was described in the mutator selection box. Goob job, Will.

-Doobin

Kilrogg

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Is there a way to have weaponstuff v2 for UT1 ? is it planned ?
I tried WPS v2 on my UT2K3 demo (don't laugh at me, I haven't bought the game...yet). However, unfortunately, you can't use mods or mutators with the demo :/ (Still, my demo is the very first one, if someone has the latest UT2K3 demo, please tell me if WPS2 works on it !)

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
Don't buy UT2K3, what's the point. UT2K4 will have everything UT2K3 does and a lot more.

Kilrogg

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I know Nemephosis, thanks for the advice ;)

BTW I tried the demo, it rocks ! I particularly liked the return of the UT opening music, it brings back the "Unreal feeling". The Onslaught mode is awesome but if I remember it was an existing mod for UT which can be found on modsquad, right ? (I think it's the Overload mod but I'm not sure)

What I'm wondering now is about UT2K3 mods: useable with 2K4, or must be ported or redone ?

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
the idea of Overload was swiped from ID and Quake and improved on, and ONS improves on Overload.

Most mods made for 2K3 should work with 2K4. Some will need to be tweaked a little to be 2K4 compatible. Larger ones mostly, like Chaos and U4E. I also heard (unverified as of now, obviously) that simply copying over the media and summoning the weapons will work. But obviously we won't know that for a while.