Sniper Camping

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
I just watched "Enemy At the Gates"(which happened to be called "Starlingrad" in Japan) at the theater. Now I see what the deal was with the snipers camping in INF:)

IRL, the snipers must camp whether it takes hours to get one kill or not. For the INF snipers, it must be a great thing to be able to camp and wait for the preys to wander by in their sights. Game-wise, it may take forever for it to reach the end, but I'm all for the snipers camping. I mean, what kind of idiot-sniper runs around shooting like a CSer? I'm sure it is painful for those who perished earlier in the game, but sniper camping is absolutely justifiable tactics. And the game is no longer for those who are dead but it is for those who are still alive including snipers.

So my point is, snipers, go nuts camping whatever people say!!:D And I hope that the ghost cam is fixed so that you can only see your own team(if at all) and not the others so that you can't give away the positions of the campers(I mean, 'snipers'):)

Cool movie, BTW:)

DredDamo

Nov 30, 2000
www.damodred.net
Hear, hear! Let me throw in my mate Seretonin's approval of this post, too. I'm sure he'd enjoy it :D

[L]-Damodred

Sere mate, I'm not being critical, I'm serious. :)

Last edited:

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
I only have a problem with snipers camping, when they are the last man left, and they camp waaaaaaaaay away from the centre of the map where they have no chance of ever seeing anyone.

[L]-Seretonin

Mar 11, 2001
Lol Damo- I understand the frustrations of those killed early on long drawn out maps, but when I am the last man left against 2 or 3 players then yes i will snipe (notice I do not use the term camp) as this is the best way for me to even the odds. I have more chances of knocking out the enemy from my carefully chosen position than running around the map blindly asking to be flanked and killed.
I know INF is not real life but would you as a lone soldier versus 3 or 4 enemy, charge blindly around, or put your back to a wall, in a position with good observation and do your best to strike from a distance unseen. call me a wimp but I sure know what I would choose.

Choose life, choose a sniper rifle with a bigass caliber round. (Brainswatting 1995):)

poaw

You used to sleep easy at night.
Mar 25, 2001
Camp Pendleton, California
I usually play in a very realistic manner, running from cover to cover, scanning the area, finding more cover, then repeating the process.
Because I don't go sprinting into battle with the rest of my team, I tend to get a lot of heat from the one idiot on my team. It doesn't bother me as much anymore because I turned the audio cue off. The really funny thing is that the ones that complain the most about anything (Length of rounds, weapons, latency) can never seem to spell my name right. I always get screens full of, "PAOW STOP CAMPING"

But hands down the most annoying thing is when your own team gives ghost recon on your position.

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
Originally posted by poaw
But hands down the most annoying thing is when your own team gives ghost recon on your position.

I can't believe that your own teammate would do that!!
That's a kind of TKing, I believe.

[L]-Baston

Clan LIMEY Founder and Leader
Apr 10, 2001
London, UK
www.clanlimey.co.uk
The enemy is lazy...

I commend good sniping personally, although it can be frustrating when you get killed without seeing it. However if a sniper has done that then he is truly an excellent soldier, after all that is the sniper "modus operandi"... however snipers are predictable beasts and a resourceful opponent will get wise to a sniper doing the same, previously successful tactic, as the rounds follow through very quickly indeed. I have seen snipers who frequently use the same spots in EP (to highlight an example) get naded the following round by a vengful formerly dead sniper kill.

The mobile sniper with several excellent spots is probably the most deadly warrior on the battlefield, moving at will through these locations...

Thats my 2p...

Last edited:

thewalkingman

ssssssssssss bugger!
Nov 12, 2000
Quahog
Visit site
all I ask is the those camper-snipers be a little more aggressive in playing.It is game and there must be a conclusion without a series of do-overs.

poaw

Mar 25, 2001
The mobile sniper with several excellent spots is probably the most deadly warrior on the battlefield, moving at will through these locations...

Yeah, I've caught a few of those moving from one position to the next. They're harder to nail, than those run-of-the-mill, Long-Street-on-Sicily, Windows-overlooking-the-Plane-on-EP, The-big-rock-on-CubanDawn, snipers.
Then again, it'll get easier with the revised bulk settings preventing them from carrying a M16/Sig while they're relocating.

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
i've given ghost recon on my own teamate but only under a specific set of circumstances. a) one on one and both guys are camping in extreme predjudice, but then i give recon on both postions simaltaniuosly. in an attempt to promote a bit of movement. i've gotten in those situations to those last to guys to walk out and knife fight on the plane. that's pretty fun.

Nerf Herder

The Scruffy Looking Man
Apr 22, 2001
San Dimas Highschool
Visit site
I prefer snipers who camp. I LIKE when snipers camp. What I despise are strafe snipers. Those bastards who strafe back and forth then stop shoot and keep strafing. Snipers don't fricking strafe! They either stay in place or run away really really fast.

Kossuth

Paintballer
Apr 29, 2001
Finland
Visit site
Platoon snipers?

I'd like to add also my opinion to the whole thread. I see the snipers in INF more like platoon or squad snipers who work very close to the infantry team or platoon they belong and directly under the command of the squad or paltoon leader, than the type almost everytime shown in movies and books, where snipers work in pairs and conduct individual missions (usally recon) by themselves.

And if I was a regular infantry platoon leader, I'd really want to see my sniper (or should we call him sharpshooter) commiting himself actively in the battle, supporting my main force, by targeting key individuals of the opposing force. And I don't see this happening from much longer ranges than the normal assaultrifle combat is conducted.

So when we talk about snipers in the INF, I really see them more as supporting sharpshooters, than real snipers.

Excelsiore

Binary Liberation Front
Mar 23, 2001
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Kossuth

U said: "I see the snipers in INF more like platoon or squad snipers ... than the type almost everytime shown in movies and books..."

Agreed. Since there is practically no cover for a sniper anyway. I don't really see them in a military context at all though in INF. Their role is more like that of a law enforcement sharpshooter.

U also said: "... by targeting key individuals of the opposing force. "

What key individuals? It's not like there's a leader, medic or radio operator for them to take out. A sniper killing one individual in INF has almost 0% effect on the outcome of a round other then there being one less enemy.

A major part of the sniper role is recon and intelligence. A sniper may wait for days and never even take a shot. That's RL.

The sad truth is that there are no maps in INF for the military sniper role. Not even EP or Kosovo qualify.

BrownyMan

Poet, Gentleman, Infiltrator?
Mar 21, 2000
USA, NH
Visit site
yeah

Baston is right the main difference between a good sniper and a truly great one is not being seen at all, avoiding be sniped yourself is the key to success as a sniper

even though i really shouldn't give out tips i feel generous so, follow these rules to improve your sniping abilities:

1.) Stay in a dark area, helps to keep people from spotting you

2.) Find a hiding spot e.g. where people won't look, the best way to find these area's is to offline, focus your attention where you don't, this are the best

3.) Know the fine line of seeing to much battle field and not enough, more often than not snipers overexpose themselves, by perching on flat surfaces, granted this gives you a wide angle view of the battle field with plenty of targets, but then again to much battle field in view means you have to keep track of that battlefield and hope no one's trained on you

4.) Only move after you've just killed someone, you're less libel to be killed because another person in your immediate proximity(that you know of most importantly), has been popped off.

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
number one rule of not being seen in inf. find a waist high ledge and crouch behind it. even if it's in the open, no one wil see you. try to take advantage of it now before 2.86

poaw

Mar 25, 2001
What key individuals? It's not like there's a leader, medic or radio operator for them to take out.

Just wait for 2.86 mien frund. Then the guy with a Robar or M203 will actually be "special". It is then that you may seek your revenge.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
"number one rule of not being seen in inf. find a waist high ledge and crouch behind it. even if it's in the open, no one wil see you. try to take advantage of it now before 2.86"

"hehehe that's a good tip LB"

No, it isn't.
Abuse of a bug is equal to cheating. I was killed many times by guys who where not "there" as I checked the area bevore I moved in. It just sucks. Don't do it.

Kossuth

Paintballer
Apr 29, 2001
Finland
Visit site
Platoon snipers

Replying to the post by Excelsiore, on the point that I'd target the key individuals, I meant ofcourse in RL not in INF 'cause of the reasons you already mentioned.

And from that came a brilliant idea into my head.

Sometime I like to play a medium sized map with reasonable sized teams and use 2-3 reinforcements, so with squadsized team I actually get the feeling of the whole platoon fighting. I started thinking, that if both sides had couple of leaders and radio-operators, the amount of them left in play could mean how fast you could respawn your troops back in to game. It could be like 2 respawns/minute for platoon leader, 1 for squad leader and 1 for radio operator, and if all of them were killed you won't get any respawns. Of course you could let the squad leader respawn twice, thus simulating that there might be three of them, for every platoon.

Comments?