Upgrade?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
...with your Xeon cpu, how and why did you build such a PC, are you an architect, what do you use it for other than casual gaming?

what are the specs your your pc?
I have an X3370 and I use only Xeon CPUs simply because they are more stable than the regular Intel CPUs that get released. They're 99.999% the same thing, they just can withstand heat better and are more durable for long term use, otherwise there's really no difference between Xeon and C2Q/C2D.

I needed the stability for video rendering in Vegas, 3d modeling, photoshop processing, CAD, work in Sound Forge/Acid and I wanted a good CPU that wouldn't crash when playing games for long periods of time. Xeons are usually cheaper too. :D

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
...with your Xeon cpu, how and why did you build such a PC, are you an architect, what do you use it for other than casual gaming?

what are the specs your your pc?

myrigr.jpg

Mainly for level designing with Maya and Photoshop etc.

You can never get enough power for that kind of stuff.

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
5.9 is apparently the limit for SATA2.

I have 2x60GB OCZ Vertex SSD drives in RAID0 as OS disk and it scores 5.9. Tops out at around 400MBs random read speeds.
Probably have to get a PCIe SSD to improve that score.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Ok I just looked trough charts and I'm convinced that the 5850 HD pays off compared to the 5830 HD in therm of pricing.

I have a question, would the 5850 HD run at good potential on a Q6600 with 6 GB ram (at least once I get Win7 x64) ?

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
Ok I just looked trough charts and I'm convinced that the 5850 HD pays off compared to the 5830 HD in therm of pricing.

I have a question, would the 5850 HD run at good potential on a Q6600 with 6 GB ram (at least once I get Win7 x64) ?
Yes.

I run an XFX HD5850 black with my Q6600 on Win7 x64 and 8GB RAM and it plays everything I tuck at it @ 1680x1050.
Mind you my Q6600 runs 3.2GHz and not 2.4GHz.

XFX are pretty good from my experience. Good prices, bundles and stability.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006

Yes. The Q6600 is beginning to get a little bit old, but it's still a solid processor and games for the most part are more gpu intensive than cpu. It should perform quite well for a bit longer.

~Jason

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yes.

I run an XFX HD5850 black with my Q6600 on Win7 x64 and 8GB RAM and it plays everything I tuck at it @ 1680x1050.
Mind you my Q6600 runs 3.2GHz and not 2.4GHz.

XFX are pretty good from my experience. Good prices, bundles and stability.

I'm sure you didn't overclock the processor using the retail fan attachment.

I find the card a little too overpriced and there's no way I can get a rebate with my 8800 GTS. I thought about going for this one here. It's a hard decision to make, I suppose overclocking my CPU would help as well, I'll need the cooling kit for it, I never done any OC'ing in my life.

DarkCrow

ლ(╹◡╹ლ)
Jun 13, 2004
Brasil

I find the card a little too overpriced and there's no way I can get a rebate with my 8800 GTS. I thought about going for this one here. It's a hard decision to make, I suppose overclocking my CPU would help as well, I'll need the cooling kit for it, I never done any OC'ing in my life.

You will find everything you need to learn about overclocking your Q6600 in this thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152603

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com

The first few months, yes it was the stock cooler. Now I have a Noctua NH-U12

But yeah if you find it too steep HIS makes pretty decent cards. My 9800 pro and x800xl are still up for a fight if needed.
Though my experience with the newer coolers they wear out their bearings pretty quick and start to make noise.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Alright. What's the difference between the XFX 5850 Black Edition and the regular XFX 5850? The Black editions are out of stock on Newegg Canada.

It's not really a problem, but this AMD label bothers me quite a lot considering I'd add this on an Intel motherboard. But if it works alright that's ok I guess. I just hope to get the performance result I will pay for.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/wp-content/uploads/xfx-ati-radeon-5850.jpg

Last edited:

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
black editions are factory overclocked. Adding an ati card with an intel board doesnt really matter.

Personally i like going for non reference designs which have their own cooler as those tend to be more silent and cooler.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Adding an ati card with an intel board doesnt really matter.

Yeah you're not going to have an issue here. Gigabyte Intel board on my current rig, no trouble. If Intel had a lockout on AMD video cards, AMD would've filed an anti-trust suit long ago.

Personally i like going for non reference designs which have their own cooler as those tend to be more silent and cooler.

My stock Sapphire 5850 runs pretty quiet even under load.

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
As mentioned the black editions are their overclocked cards that offers an increase in performance. Not much but I just like it that way.

The stock HD5850 cooler is pretty good for a standard cooler, keeping the card "cool" and quiet. When not loaded it's near silent and under load it's still pretty silent from my experience. Haven't had it overheat on me yet and highest temp I've noticed so far is around 70C.
Which for the gfx of today is in the pretty good range(stock cooled).

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I'm now on-fence with the 5850 and GTX 465. And I don't plan to go any higher than $300 for a gpu.

I've read that the GTX 465 can easily be comparable to a 5850 in performance.