So, who will stop using Firefox?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I have to say it right off the bat but Brizz is correct here, sorry guys. Tolerance means tolerance, don't mask it with that bull. What about trying to not interfere? Perhaps you are wrong in assuming someone's motivation or perhaps because he hasn't made it directly so. Brizz did not say he hates black people. You are jumping on a bandwagon of hate. That's what you're doing. You assume and twist things around because it has completely filled your mind and you assume ba intentions by default. And that's it. That's what's really now going on.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Most states require both person in a marriage to be at least 18 years of age or else they will need written parental consent. A few states have that age requirement set to 16, so does this mean all the 16 and 17 year old persons in the aforementioned states are being subjected to discriminating laws?

Bringing up a hypothetical rhetorical question is useless unless you bring arguments to the table.

Bear with me...

As I said a few pages ago, banning interracial marriage was found to be flawed over time as anti-segregation arguments developed (were accepted as more reasonable) and scientific studies of the impact of interracial marriage found no actual difference in marriage satisfaction, quality of child raising, economic benefits, or marriage's credibility as an institution (better or worse, for all of those).

In the past 20 years, the same has occurred with gay marriage. New arguments have been made that resonate with the public, and scientific studies have again found no damage done or any significant disparity (better or worse) to any aspect of marriage.

Since there is rhetorically and empirically no difference, it has become silly to segregate the ideas of straight/gay/interracial marriage.

Following that logic train, I would assume the legalization of pre-adult (legal adulthood) marriage in those respective states had some reasoning. According to the free faith and credit clause, other states should legitimately recognize an underage marriage/union from that state (this is part of what made DOMA unconstitutional).

While those pre-adults in their respective states are thus protected, pre-adults in other states (or anyone who approves of the idea) may claim that they would like the same laws put into place, or even go so far as to say that not allowing equal rights in terms of marriage for teenagers and adults is discriminatory, thus protected under the constitution (see Equal Protection), which could be decided in a Supreme Court case requiring every single state enshrine that newly declared right. This is where I think you are making your point.

So how do we/lawmakers/judges decide whether it is discriminatory? You cannot pull a slippery slope or simply equate one argument (pro gay marriage) to another (pro pre-adult marriage) in order to discredit it. That would be a fallacy going for shock value. The correct way to decide would be the presentation of new arguments and new reasoning, coupled with data that suggests there is very little reason not too, or very little adverse consequences of its legalization in order to gain popular support. This is what interracial and gay marriage has done.

Note I am not supportive of pre-adult (legal adult age 18) marriage, but I am open to any argument presented or empirical data that would suggest so. My gut tells me that teenagers are pretty stupid and likely do not understand the implications of marriage as well as a adult, but if presented with a good enough argument and strong data, I may change my mind. It would have to be a strong case to make-that pre-adults are discriminated against in terms of marriage (maybe even other legal areas)-but it could still be made and in our future it may become an issue of contention and even law. Few can predict the future accurately; it may happen or it may not happen

The same case goes for any argument...polygamy, animals, etc. At the given moment, no, I do not approve of these. Now or in the future, public opinion may change, arguments may be made, and studies may be done.

So the point I have been trying to make here is to go step by step showing why that rhetorical question is invalid. It is invalid because arguments and data have been made clearly showing that restricting gay marriage as a state institution while allowing it for straight couples is discrimination. There have yet to be any serious arguments or data showing that restricting pre-adult marriage while allowing it for adults is also discrimination. Gay marriage can be compared to straight marriage (modern definition of marraige). Interracial marriage can be compared to racial marriage (or, what was the definition of marriage at its time). Single parenting can be compared to having both parents or parents of the same sex. However, gay marriage cannot be compared to pre-adult marraige, or racial marriage, or polygamy, or any type of marriage that is uncorrelated or yet to be. The factors being considered are not even in the same realm of control. It fails as an argument and it fails as a rhetorical question. It is as simple as that.

I could go into more detail showing how counter arguments for gay marriage are similar to counter arguments for interracial marriage (which again is the prime reason the gay marriage movement has hit the legal world hard and fast), and the easiest way to establish pre-adult marriage would be to show how anti-pre-adult marriage arguments are the same as anti-interracial/gay arguments, thus comparing it to a precedent Supreme Court decision, but I really hope it is obvious and I do not have to cover those strings to solidify my argument.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You cannot pull a slippery slope or simply equate one argument (pro gay marriage) to another (pro pre-adult marriage) in order to discredit it.
That argument is most often used to highlight the hypocrisy in supporters of "non-traditional" marriage. In other words, ratifying gay marriage as traditional because, like you've indicated, you do have a problem with any other type of marriage.

What is the purpose behind ratifying same sex marriage? The arguments are all over the board. Most often what we hear is that people should be able to love whoever we want and that marriage is all about love. If that is true, what are marriage limiting laws for at all?

Why do we need more evidence supporting other forms of non-traditional marriage? Again, I ask, what is the purpose of marriage as a legal construct?
The same case goes for any argument...polygamy, animals, etc. At the given moment, no, I do not approve of these. Now or in the future, public opinion may change, arguments may be made, and studies may be done.
However, this just sounds like "I'm okay with discrimination as long as it's popular" based on the other arguments presented. I'm not trying to discredit gay marriage, I'm asking if you sincerely support gay marriage how can you not support these other types of non-traditional marriage? Why is gay marriage an exception for you?

Perhaps it needs to be specified that plenty of studies have been done about gay marriage that find all kinds of correlations. But none of them can be tied to causation for good reasons. That is not proof of absence. Do you have studies that show that if people and animals or men with multiple women/women with multiple men could get married that somehow damages society in a tangible way that gay (or, frankly, even straight) marriage does not?

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Whoop whoop text wall.

That argument is most often used to highlight the hypocrisy in supporters of "non-traditional" marriage. In other words, ratifying gay marriage as traditional because, like you've indicated, you do have a problem with any other type of marriage.

I agree that argument is used often, but I also stipulated that it was a very poor argument (as I said before it is only used for shock value as a slippery slope). "Gay marriage? What? Next thing you know there will be polygamy and marrying cows! Where will it end?" This is a fairly typical style of argument conservative social issues. "Legalize pot? Kids will be doing crack cocaine soon!", etc.

Therefore I do not really see it as hypocrisy. Its jumping a conclusion. It is like saying "You want to reduce taxes? I guess you hate fire departments and public roads! Hypocrite!". Not a very legit way to argue, which is why I think it is a very poor citation against proponents of gay marriage, despite its common usage.

Basically it really isn't hypocritical.

What is the purpose behind ratifying same sex marriage? The arguments are all over the board. Most often what we hear is that people should be able to love whoever we want and that marriage is all about love. If that is true, what are marriage limiting laws for at all?

I've never thought the arguments were all over the board. They have always seemed pretty clear: equal protection, equal protection, equal protection. You simply cannot put in a legal system that isn't fair and nondiscriminatory. Whether it is marriage or schools or what have you. Just by claiming the purpose and arguments are "all over the board" doesn't actually make it so.

Why do we need more evidence supporting other forms of non-traditional marriage?

Because if you are going to create a system of legal bindings (or an extension thereof) designed for economic benefit, I really fucking hope it isn't whimsical and at least some thought was put into it. If it can be shown that other forms of marriage have additional economic benefits, increase public happiness, increase public health (through mental happiness, which also decreases healthcare costs), then go right ahead. I am open to new ideas and arguments, I just hope that they have some substance when brought to the table.

Again, I ask, what is the purpose of marriage as a legal construct?

For all sorts of legal shit, some of which dragonfliet pointed out. Tends to have a nice economic benefits too. Acts as an incentive to get people who already love each other to legally pool their money together which allows them to buy houses, cars, and shit that they probably would not have been able to on their own. Makes acquiring loans and other legal shit easier. Basically makes the money flow. Since our primary form of economic policy in the US is capitalism, creating situation for people to be more active consumers is healthy for the economy.

Basically it is such a large part of many peoples lives that there became an incentive to make it a formal legal contract to enable economic benefits. I am sure a lot of this stuff can be done without marriage, but I cannot blame whoever wrote the legislation way back when for simply eye-ing an already accepted institution to take advantage of for the betterment of all. Funny though how dropping marriage from the legal system only becomes an argument once gays are allowed to participate. They just had to stick there gay agenda into it, didn't they? Guess we should scrap the whole idea. (Seriously stop being such sore loosers!)

However, this just sounds like "I'm okay with discrimination as long as it's popular" based on the other arguments presented. I'm not trying to discredit gay marriage, I'm asking if you sincerely support gay marriage how can you not support these other types of non-traditional marriage? Why is gay marriage an exception for you?

"I'm okay with discrimination as long as its popular" implies that I recognize something as discrimination outright. First I would have to believe a certain thing is discrimination, which requires being convinced. Also this does not imply that me personally being convinced has anything to do with popular opinion on any matter. How can I be okay with something that is discriminatory if I do not realize it is discriminatory? Show me how or why and I might agree that something is discriminatory. I do like hearing arguments, debates, and hopefully some research before reaching a conclusion whether something is or not.

Gay marriage *at the moment* is an exception because I have heard very compelling arguments with sound logic and reasoning supporting it, rhetorical and empirical. If one day I hear very strong arguments for another non-traditional type of marriage, I may be convinced. I never personally came up with the idea that gay marriage was an issue to be resolved; at some point in my life I heard about the issue, I heard arguments from both sides, and based on those arguments and evidence I reached the conclusion that it is discriminatory. Again, I am open to ideas and new ways of thought.

I don't think that this is such a difficult concept that someone can change their opinion and views over time when presented with superior reasoning. Show me how other non-traditional marriages are fair and the current status is discriminatory, and I may change my mind. It doesn't even have to be marriage; it can be any political topic. We can debate it on this forum. Maybe a new idea will spring out and catch on.

Perhaps it needs to be specified that plenty of studies have been done about gay marriage that find all kinds of correlations. But none of them can be tied to causation for good reasons. That is not proof of absence.

When I mention studies I meant studies in terms of the questions posed such as:

-How do children of gay couples fare? (Studies found that they do not fare any better or worse, or are loved any more or less...basically there is no adverse affects to children living with gay parents)

-Will bringing forth gay marriage undermine marriage itself for straight couples (studies found that marriage rates have not been impacted)

-Does restricting gay marriage appear to adversely affect gay people (guess this one!)

These questions have been asked and their results are accepted. If another non-traditional marriage would be proposed, it would probably fall under the same scrutiny.

Do you have studies that show that if people and animals or men with multiple women/women with multiple men could get married that somehow damages society in a tangible way that gay (or, frankly, even straight) marriage does not?

Nope, I do not. Isn't that the point of what I have been saying? I would like to see studies and hear good arguments before making a decision.

But I see what you are doing; switching the burden of proof to say that unless adverse affects can be shown, we should allow it. If that is your preferred argument...that we should remove all restrictions on the definition of legal marriage unless proven otherwise...then, well, that is your argument. Pretty radical and a little hasty, no? Personally, I would be more conservative and suggest that we take a look and see if the current status is discriminatory, and by loosening the restrictions and rules on marriage we should expect societal and economic benefit before reaching a conclusion.

But I don't think that was your argument or what you were trying to get at. I think you just used a rhetorical question as a slippery slope, no? I can rephrase your statement to be "If gay marriage doesn't damage society, then can you prove that marrying animals/multiple spouses/etc won't damage society?". It is really a misleading statement because what is being said is "If A = B, then C = B". Note that this is a logical fallacy and is not the same as "If A=B AND B=C, then A = C". Applying that to rewrite your statement, it would read "If gay marriage doesn't damage society, AND [other form of] marriage doesn't damage society, then gay marriage is on equal terms with [other form of] marriage ", which is a true statement, and legally would deserve equal protection. True in philosophical/computer/statistical logic sense. Note that in my rephrasing, "other form of marriage" became a given, which assumes it has been proven or assumed true...

...That seems to be today's theme... give me a good argument with good evidence and I will probably change my mind.

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
tl;dr wall

Actually, I read it, just didn't want that hogging up space in my reply, heh heh.

My point is that not all states regulate to the same degree of restriction or latitude. As such, I was not focusing solely on discrimination there. Each state has the Constitutional right (Tenth Amendment) to regulate contracts, including marriage, commensurate with the ideals and values of the people within that state, as long as they do not violate the Constitution or federal laws and regulations. Do you not believe this to be true?

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Indeed they do, but the contention appears when they do violate federal laws and amendments. I think due process and equal protection are brought up the most in gay marriage cases.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
with the ideals and values of the people within that state, as long as they do not violate the Constitution or federal laws and regulations. Do you not believe this to be true?

yes so why exclude gay people in that process? Are they not people with rights in their own states?

Do you realise how you exclude people? And again, since TWD failed to explain anything. How have your rights been diminished by allowing LGBT people to marry?

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Balton, I was not arguing the merits of gay or traditional marriage, just noting that unless the federal government puts federal restrictions on marriage, states reserve the right to restrict access. If gays in any one state make their valid case to the people of that state and gay marriage is allowed there, then so be it. One-third of the states have done just that, along with several others whose bans have been found unconstitutional in specific federal circuit courts.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Do you realise how you exclude people? And again, since TWD failed to explain anything. How have your rights been diminished by allowing LGBT people to marry?

Wait what did I fail to explain? Well let me take a shot in the dark anyways.

Allowing LGBT people to marry does not diminish my rights. Allowing them to marry doesn't really affect much of anything on its own. They're already in a relationship, and they can call that relationship a marriage regardless of whatever the government says. And I'm all for them having the rights, tax breaks, work benefits, etc associated with marriage. To be honest a lot of those benefits should not just be limited to marriage. It affects society, but the cultural change is going to happen regardless of what the government does.

But I know that when they have all of that it won't be enough. This isn't about marriage. This is about changing people's beliefs. This is about convincing as many people as possible to accept the lifestyle through any means necessary. Even if that means destroying lives. What I'm worried about is exactly what we're seeing with Eich. It's true that nothing illegal happened. It's true that free speech can still have consequences. That doesn't mean that what happened is good for a free and open society.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
What is pod people?
Either way, why would you want to see some study which is more likely to be biased tha anything else. Why can't you rationally and emotionally judge the situation yourself? You are dependand on state/agencies opiion to take a stance. Not much of a free will I guess then. I don't think brizz is on slippery slope but rather pointing this out. But what he's saying might be unthinkable to you so he must mean it in such a way etc.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
TWD: So, gays have a hidden agenda and are out to basically steal your soul?

Fucking lol.

I admire your classic use of trolling to trivialize your way out of addressing the issue, but you're avoiding the point. The reasons I opposed gay marriage are all coming to pass. So we just come back to the original discussion. Is what happened to Eich the type of thing that is good for society? It seems to me that plenty here think it's wonderful, and are even willing to extend such treatment to members of this forum. So I don't really see how there's anything left to talk about in this thread.

Last edited:

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Classic use of trolling. That's funny. Just because you don't agree, doesn't mean it's trolling.

Stop trying to bring about the end of the world and be a better person to your fellow human being. It's what Jesus would do.

I'm not being a troll here or the previous post... you really think they're (gay people) out to take away your faith and damn you to hell by making you believe being gay is a-ok, right? Don't worry. If what you believe is correct, God won't let them into heaven anyway, so you can sleep better at night.

Last edited: