Oh come on Logitech...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Dear Logitech,

I like your products. I like the wheel-tilt/extra buttons/etc on my G700. I like the G-keys/media controls/WindowsKey slider on my G15 kb. I even like my G330 headset despite the band breaking and subsequent repair via duct tape.

What I don't like is that you guys seem to buy your parts from the cheapest of the cheap. I don't like that I'm about to swap out for my 5th "gaming" mouse in ~3 years because you've used cheap switches in the left/rightclick buttons(for some reason, LeftClick can take more of a beating, it's always RightClick that goes out first). I don't like that I've had to refrain from using the in-line volume control on my G330 because it causes static and the speakers to be out of volume-sync.

Also not a fan of your design department. The layout of the extra thumb buttons, DPI keys, etc, etc is... "wonky"
You advertise that your mice are for the "hardcore" gamer, yet your button layout requires changes of grip to be able to easily access the extra buttons(which are damn handy when remapped)

Despite the complaints, I will continue to use Logitech products simply because your customer service department hasn't given me 5 metric fucktons of bile and bullshit. In fact, they've been helpful and usually rather quick about getting issues resolved(not to mention several free replacements when my mice conked out)

Now if only Microshaft could take a page from your service book... fuckers still give me the runaround about fixing my GfWL login...

For those going "why the fuck are you posting this here?", simple, noone from Logitech ever fucking reads their customer forums and I wanted to rant, so deal with it.

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
lol yeah Logitech buttons are definitely low qual for any extraneous clickage.

My Solution:
I usually have 2 mice. 1 general use/precision mouse for GD Which is a Logitech MX Revolution (old and yes and will be replaced soon) and a R.A.T. 7 for gaming as wired is still the best IMO, has 6 programmable buttons, a weight system, and you can customize it's shape to fit your hand. Durability seems top notch also.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I've never had issues with buttons personally, although some friends have had issues with the buttons on the MX518.

Personally, my biggest issue with Logitech was their decision wrap the mouse cords in some kind of fabric. Not only did it break very quickly and get ugly easily, it twisted and turned as it broke, very quickly damaging the wire, while generally doing a poor job of actually protecting the wire.
I bought a G5 to replace my MX500 a long time ago. I believe it broke within a year or so, because of the crappy wire. I managed to repair it, but not without loss of accuracy, making the mouse pretty useless for anything other than browsing. I went back to my MX500, which I am still using to this day. I have thought of buying the G500, which is, from what I hear, just a better MX500, but right now I don't actually need to replace the MX500. I clean it every few months (lots of gunk in the scroll wheel) and it stays 100% functional.
From what I've seen, Logitech has gone back to proper rubber wires, so that's nice I suppose. At first I liked the fabric wrapping, it felt more legit or something, but it really only complicates things and makes it less sanitary

Buying a G15 was probably my biggest waste of money ever. I could've given 4/3 of the price of the G15, and gotten a fairly decent mechanical keyboard. I'm extremely annoyed now that I didn't do that at the time.

Last edited:

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
I recently adopted a Tesco own brand mouse (£3.50). Amusingly I do actually prefer it over the expensive stuff I've been using in the past (usually 10-20 times the price).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I have a G9 that has now lasted for 5 years and I haven't had any real problems with it. I also have an MX510 plugging along at 9 years.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
You know, I've had a razer mouse for awhile. The Keyboards can be a bit crappy but their mice are pretty fuckin' badass.

That being said I do have a mechanical keyboard and my mouse is set to 4000DPI. Woohoo.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Snake eats rodent...

You know, I've had a razer mouse for awhile. The Keyboards can be a bit crappy but their mice are pretty fuckin' badass

Scratch one more Razer user here. I've been using their mice since the original version of the Diamondback, which finally died after years of ham-fisted gaming abuse from me. Currently using an Abyssus, which is about as good as a "no extra buttons" gaming mouse gets.

I also have an MX510 plugging along at 9 years.

My brother stills uses my old MX500, which still works as well as it always did. I do get the complaint about the newer Logitech mice though, they don't look anywhere near as solid as the older models.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
The MX500 is a beast. It actually can't be broken.

The whole point of the MX510 and MX518 was to make a mouse that would actually break, so that they could sell more.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Scratch one more Razer user here. I've been using their mice since the original version of the Diamondback, which finally died after years of ham-fisted gaming abuse from me. Currently using an Abyssus, which is about as good as a "no extra buttons" gaming mouse gets.

Agreed, their Diamond Back was my favorite mouse ever, and when they discontinued it and mine finally died, the only mouse they had out that was even similar to it was the Abyssus, which is exactly why I got that.

I don't mind extra buttons or anything, just gives you more options, but the form factor is what really makes these 2 mice awesome imo.

Now it seems they released a new mouse in the spirit of their old Diamond Back, the taipan, and it even has the extra buttons of the DB, so I guess I'll be getting that next.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
I used an MX Revolution for years and liked it a lot. No defects in workmanship that I encountered.

These days I much prefer the R.A.T. 7 though.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Still using a Razer eXactMat too :)

Agreed, their Diamond Back was my favorite mouse ever, and when they discontinued it and mine finally died, the only mouse they had out that was even similar to it was the Abyssus, which is exactly why I got that.

I don't mind extra buttons or anything, just gives you more options, but the form factor is what really makes these 2 mice awesome imo.

Now it seems they released a new mouse in the spirit of their old Diamond Back, the taipan, and it even has the extra buttons of the DB, so I guess I'll be getting that next.

That's pretty much exactly why I went with the Abyssus, it's just the right fit for my hand ergonomically. I did try looking for a straight switch to another Diamondback, but they're impossible to find new any more.

I did like the thumb buttons on the Diamondback, but I never used them all that much, so I didn't miss them when I switched to the Abyssus. The Taipan looks very nice, wish that'd been out when my Diamondback died :(

Gambit84

Oct 17, 2004
I had the same problem with my mx510 years ago. They shipped out a new one right away, which was nice.

Mar 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC.
I had the same problem with my G9, then I got it exchanged for a new G9x and didn't use it yet.

Got their F710 controller and it sucked pretty bad only after 1 week.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I used to burn through mice when I played UT. I've mostly bought Logitech too. I don't seem to have that problem anymore now that I don't play many competitive FPS games.

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
My mx518 is 6 years old.

The cord broke at the base after about 4 years, a common problem for any corded device.
Anyone remotely experienced with electronics can fix this in a heartbeat. (I patch together about two sets of earplugs a year this way)

An entire layer of coating on the top of the mouse (mainly around the buttons) has essentially been worn off.
It looks like a biochemical hazard that could cause skincancer by proximity.

IT. STILL. WORKS.

And if I remember correctly.. This isn't the first thread you've made about Logitech mice Kyllian.

Last edited:

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
I've got the old 4000DPI lachesis. I still enjoy it, I was going to get a diamondback but i think the lachesis at the time had a slightly higher DPI (4000 instead of 3600).

I've spilt many a beer on many a lycosa keyboards though. Razer Lycosa's suck. This Razer Blackwidow is leaps and bounds better.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Got the replacement earlier today
Noticed one thing on the side of the box: Both Left/Right click buttons each having an 8 million click lifespan
Bull. Shit. I truly doubt that the RightClick took in 8mil clicks in the last 9 months/year/whatever

Also slightly annoyed that while SetPoint lets me back up program profiles, it doesn't bother to save the address of the .exe the profile is assigned to

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
I generally love my MX518, but one thing that does really annoy me is the placement of the precision config buttons. I frequently hit the minus or plus buttons by mistake while in the middle of play.

I also wish you could disable the forward and back thumb buttons at the OS level instead of just through Setpoint. I use them for Teamspeak and Mumble, which makes it impossible to talk without constant annoyance while using a web browser or just about anything else than a game.

Last edited: