Most Awesome Moment in Games?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
What, in your personal opinion, was the most awe inspiring moment in a game?

Oh man, there were so many.

Let´s start at the very beginning.

Amstrad CPC6128:

Goodbye Monty, when I finally survived the underground levels.
But I never beat it.

C64:

Finished Kaiser!

Beating Wonderboy

End Sequence of Zak McKracken

The End Boss of Turrican II.
Wow, two or three monitors big...

PC:

Halflife 1: When you enter the Test Chamber for the very first time...

System Shock II: When I finally found out that the girl guiding me is not alive anymore....Damn Shodan!

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Although meeting Andrew Ryan in Bioshock was exceedingly awesome.

I have to agree with this too; although I also found the character fact which followed that part to be even cooler, after looking at those posters in Arcadia.

Nice build-up, wasn't expecting that.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
For some reason it's Ecco: The Tides Of Time's Globe Holder level, which consists solely of an enclosed box area containing a giant purple testicle tethered to the walls. In possibly the most therapeutic physics puzzle of all time (turn on invincibility and it's more effective than those squeezy stress-release things), you must rip the testicle free of its restraints, and use sonar, momentum and your irresistable dolphin strength to smash the liberated testicle around its prison until it dissolves. Then you travel through time by touching a pair of bright blue balls. Maybe I'm a closet homosexual but I love this game, and have been regularly blasting through it for the last fourteen years.

Silent Hill 2: The first time you encounter Pyramid Head.

In a game chock full of disturbing "WTF!?" moments, somehow this scene made everything else that came before it (first game included) seem remarkably tame. I was so freaked out by that thing. One of the few times I've been totally terrified by a video game antagonist, to the point where any encounter resulted in me saying sh.t forty times and running away.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
Meeting Cthon in Quake 1?

How about when you finally master the rocket jump?

The beginning of HL2 where you run away from the guards?

Walking out the wrecked Riker ship in Unreal and the music kicking in with the bird soaring... gets me every time.

Escaping from the furnace in portal and feeling like you really did beat the system?

There are so many, but Portal has some of the greatest moments ever. I can't wait for the sequel.

Kou

Augmentations > You
Definitely Nowhere in Silent Hill 1. Either that or when you first get into town.

I also particularly like spotting the G-Man. Any time I see him in HL I feel a bit better about the headcrab I didn't kill a few maps back. I always kick myself for leaving those buggers alive. F'ing things... I don't understand why Dr. Klein wore one as a hat. The last thing I want on my head is a freaking headcrab. Okay, so to sum it up I don't feel bad about slacking on my headcrab-genocide when I see the G-Man.

How about in Oblivion when you're finally done with the main quest? That's pretty awesome. Actually, if you have the Adrenaline Oblivion mod active, the whole game is freakin' sweet.

Bioshock and Andrew Ryan.

Escaping from the MJ12/UNATCO HQ in Deus Ex.

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
I think Unreal set a new standard for the scope of an environment in an fps. The first few levels - going from claustrophobic Rikers to the expansive nali falls map. Brilliant! And there was the map where you approached the crashed spaceship from within the small valley it literally drove into the earth (the second one, not Rikers) Spire was also pretty damn cool.

Add some great music and acceptable gameplay and you have a classic.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
MGS2 ending- I stood up and applauded when the ending credits played, such a magnificent game
MGS3 ending- I didnt applaude this time but I did feel a little misty eyed when Snake stood in front of that gravestone and saluted, Good god that was a good moment.
Final Fantasy 8 finale - say what you will but it took me nearly a month to beat Griever and Ultimacia my first time through. It felt so damn good to finally see the ending movie and to hear that trademark tune that has been left out of the newer games.

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
How about in Oblivion when you're finally done with the main quest? That's pretty awesome. Actually, if you have the Adrenaline Oblivion mod active, the whole game is freakin' sweet.

Escaping from the MJ12/UNATCO HQ in Deus Ex.

I'm about to download that mod. Looks tight.

I remember playing Deus Ex for the first time, and I was actually sweating when playing that part.

Anyone here who has beaten some obnoxious bragger at a sports game, the feeling is great.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
There's too many to name, to be honest but there are also a few that stand out.

In random order as they come to mind,

• Serious Sam 1stE - the 2nd to last level at the very beginning when you come over a sand dune and see the city of the Gods about a mile or so run in front of you and the walls expanding miles out to the side. You know you won't just be able to stroll up and open the door. You take a few steps and all of a sudden, hundreds if not a thousand (literally, if you're playing on Serious mode) comes streaming from the gate and around the sides of the walls, every single one vying for your blood. The next 10 minutes is spent with your mouse holding down FIRE for whatever weapon you have out. Unreal.
  • Serious Sam 2ndE - The last courtyard before the final endgame boss encounter. You're in the middle of a field that expands endlessly in all directions and in the very center you see a small gazebo-like structure, you're all alone. You go to it and behind it in the distance, what seems like miles is a castle (where the last evil resides). Around the structure are tons of weapons and powerups. Grab one. A lone enemy appears miles off to the west, then another, then another. Repeat until you're caught in the middle of an epic struggle again being charged by a thousand enemies. Wow.
  • Max Payne - when the helicopter is crushed and falls 50 some odd stories with the platform and flaming wreckage around it all the way to the ground on top of the cop cars.
  • Half Life 2 - Stepping out from the train station into the main square of downtown City 17. That first sense of the world post-combine takeover and the Citadel a towering monstrosity in the background. I remember that feeling, maybe it was just the first sense of the graphics in full throttle the first time you got outdoors. But it was so surreal, so ominous. The people walking about in uniforms, those eerie combine soliders, the drones flying around snapping pictures, people being held at gunpoint at checkpoints and the first time you see that big chicken-walker thing go by. *shudder*
  • Call of Duty 4 - almost every level there was a scene thay inspired awe. But the most dramatic would have to be hanging out the back of a Blackhawk speeding away from the city as a nuke goes off in plain view, the shockwave grabs the chopper and you go down in a twirl of light and flames.
  • Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - the Ohama Beach level, hands down. Full of scripted events, yes, but that very first time you play it and the chaos is unleashed. Absolutely mind blowing. It's first person Saving Private Ryan, the instensity and confusion, the realism. Stunning.
  • Resident Evil - the original game for PS1 when you finally encountered the big deformed ass guy at the end of the mansion. Holy crap that was the first and only game thats ever given me such chills and was really making me very nervous to play the whole time. You never knew when something was going to jump out of nowhere at you and they made those "bosses" creepy as sh*t.
  • Deus Ex - when you wind up in the deep underground MJ12 HQ in the prison and you have no idea what's going on and everything has changed. Another experience that cannot be replicated due to knowing what happens after you play through it, but that first time. You feel betrayed, lost, the mystery is on. Exploring the facility and trying not to be spotted and working your way back to your equipment to shut the place down and escape. Man, that was adrenaline pumping at the time. Oh, and in the end if you choose to merge with the AI, that was bad ass. "I AM... WE ARE!!"
And who the hell is Aeris?

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Sadly enough i'm afraid to say WoW;
Go back 2-3 years. I login on my first character. MMO's are pretty new to me having only briefly played the guild wars beta previous to it.
I started up a Tauren Hunter and my friend started an undead warrior. We found ourselves a world apart so we spent a while levelling in our own areas. I explored the landscapes of Mulgore, quested, levelled, etc. it was all peaceful, it was relatively quiet and it was quite pretty with it's lush green plains and rolling hills.
I discover Thunderbluff which was/is just a super cool city and soon after i'm told to visit a place called "crossroads".

Teh moment i entered the crossroads i knew i'd be playing WoW for quite some time as, all around me was a full scale battle taking place. The alliance were attacking in full force and the horde were defending hard. I was surrounded by raining fire and ice as bolts of shadow zipped past me and steel smashed on steel. The lag from such an intense battle that early in the existence of WoW was bad but i remember that day fondly.

I'll post some more sensible non-WoW orientated moments in games later but for now i have to go. :)

FaT CaM

Not much...
Apr 5, 2002
¯\(˚_o)/¯ I DUNNO?
I just got Just Cause, and flying a plane over the Cuban isles, free falling a few thousand feet and then shooting a grappling hook into a car and para sailing along the road with it has been pretty cool, even if it is a poor rip of GTA.