UE1 - UT UT: Sliding Players on GameEnd: Why is that?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GF-REX

Jan 31, 2008
Kansas, USA
www.unrealrex.com
Note: I do not mean that I see everyone sliding. I'm talking about sliding AFTER ending the match.

I'm sure you've noticed that players slide at the end of the game in some gametypes, but not all. I've wondered this for years, and have yet to come up with an answer. I've narrowed down some GameTypes where this happens and ones where it does not happen, though.

The player that activates the end of the match ends up sliding on everyone else's screen. This only happens in certain GameTypes like CTF, Monster Hunt, and BombingRun. The sliding does NOT happen if the game ends due to time running out, though. They also only slide if they were moving at the time they ended the match.

This can't be an engine bug since some gametypes do not suffer from said bug. DeathMatchPlus, TeamGamePlus, Assault, Domination and LastManStanding are free of this bug.

The only difference I could find between the gametypes was that the glitched ones have custom GameReplicationInfo classes. This does not seem to be the cause of the bug, though. I created a simple DM gametype using custom ReplicationInfo classes and it worked fine.

Either way it seems like some kind of replication error to me. Either that or they are calling the GameEnd function incorrectly? I dunno.

Does anyone have any idea what causes this bug? I'd like to figure it out so I could implement a fix into my next gametype mod.

Thanks

Last edited:

gopostal

Jan 19, 2006
Rex I tried every way I knew to stop it too and only had partial success. It has to do with the endgame stuff that runs. Once you have a custom gametype extended and the players enter the post game code, gravity does not null like it does in default gametypes. You can't stop players either (tried that to with force setting their gravity, velocity, position, etc.) once the end game is called. The limited success I had with this was done during the search for the winner (endgamefocus) because this runs right before the game actually closes out.

Good luck with this, I hope it works out.

evilgrins

God of Fudge
Sep 9, 2011
Palo Alto, CA
unreal-games.livejournal.com
I always thought the sliding was one of those odd things that just could not be explained. Never bugged me much. It's kind of like if you're playing with bots and when the game has ended, just prior to the new map loading up if you issue commands to the bots they'll start running around again and do whatever you sent them off to do...

...or in how MonsterMadness if the last kill in a deathmatch game was a monster when the game ends that monster will respawn somewhere on the map and try to track down who kill it just before the next map loads.

There's a lot of these little quirks, like sliding, that happens in that inbetween juncture of one map to another. I say just kick back and enjoy the show.

The only time the sliding is actually bad is if you slide off something really high up. Little known fact relating to sliding, if you slide off something and fall to your death... you actually can die and, as with most accidental UT deaths, even though the game is over you can lose a point for "killing yourself".

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Don't know where this comes from but it can also happen in certain conditions when a player is disconnected. It's like the control portion of a pawn is separated and inertia kicks in as if a player was on an icey surface. In passing, on the ut demo (version 3.84?) it is possible to move after the end of game using some sort of trick.

GF-REX

Jan 31, 2008
Kansas, USA
www.unrealrex.com
I've learned that having a player trigger the end by touching an actor will cause that player to slide. Which would explain CTF, most MH maps, and Bombing Run.

As for Assault, it depends on the map. Maps which end when a player touches a trigger end up having the glitch. Maps that end once a player shoots a trigger do not glitch.

EDIT: As for Monster Hunt, the MH End actor can only be triggered by player proximity, so the only way to fix that is to code a custom MH End class.

So in summary, do not use Player Proximity to end a map/match. A tip I will definitely consider on my next MH map.

Last edited: