UT4 Jailbreak - gotta start somewhere

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
About half of Epic's UT4 team has already asked for Jailbreak already, but we are still either trying to get into the new engine or even busy with finishing UT3 Jailbreak.

But still we would like to have some additional input on that topic, as the team has gotten quite small over the last few years. In other words: It'S brainstorming time!

I'll get the most obvious stuff out of the way:
  • Jailbreak should be played on maps with team bases.
  • Each team defends one or more release switches.
  • Killed players respawn a special area, the jail, where they can be released from by a teammate touching a release switch associated with that jail.
  • If a team manages to capture all players of the enemy team, they score a point and the captured team is executed before the next round starts.
  • Prisoners of opposing teams should be able to fight for their freedom in an arena.
Or is it really the most obvious part? Let's hear your thoughts on potential UT4 Jailbreak features!

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
You know, when Joe announced that CTF scoring idea I thought - I had the same, but reversed, idea for Jailbreak's Llama hunt. People collect lameness points and when they exceed some kind of threshold, they are made the llama.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I like the idea of llama. To throw salt on the wound of being the Llama, that player's speed is significantly reduced or something as an in-game bonus for everyone else. As an added incentive, it could help teammates keep each other on the straight and narrow side of being good sportsmen.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
Jails could be bigger, small-sized arenas for players to fight their friendlies until they got released. That would give locked players something to do until they were released by someone on the outside. A "wall of fame shame" scoreboard would be placed by the out door. First on the scoreboard on each side could compete in a seperate arena for a chance to come back outside.

Also, how about a "get out of jail card" pickup?

RevBillyG

Taking over the world.
Nov 10, 1999
Funny, you should say that. The get out of jailcard was in planning already for an earlier iteration of Jailbreak.

Prison fights have already been a mod for Jailbreak for some time :)

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
It would be awesome to hear some ideas on how to improve the gametype on larger maps. Other than that I think it will be awesome enough with the good old features.

I'd still love to see how a continuous (non-round-based) JB gametype would play, though... :D

4WD

globle
Sep 6, 2004
belgium
It would be awesome to hear some ideas on how to improve the gametype on larger maps.

the main problem with jb is (imho) the amount of "boring time" when you're jailed, which is increased on larger maps. i suggest a hardcoded restriction, making the game crash (or smt similar) on jb maps larger than ... jb-andaction :)

I'd still love to see how a continuous (non-round-based) JB gametype would play, though... :D

how's that supposed to work ?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
how's that supposed to work ?

That actually was an idea for 4-team "Jailbreak 2007" already:
After a team is captured, only that team's players respawn in freedom, while the action continues. I guess execution sequences need to be skipped here because the players may be jailed together with free teams' players.
For obvious reasons “Last Team Standing” automatically falls back to round-based scoring. Also “Designation” probably won't work well in continuous mode, enemy designation would stay the same for the entire match.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
It wouldn't be that different as the current mode, since your team can easily reach the enemy base while the enemy team is being executed... No need to skip executions, they could be shown in a mini-camera somewhere in the HUD, letting the player zoom it in to watch the show... :D

I've never been keen on the way the game takes you out of control of your character to show the enemy execution, and then respawns you without all the stuff you had picked up previously. If I scored a point and didn't die, the game shouldn't punish me like that! :p

Only problem is that continuous mode might encourage spawnraping, but that's pretty much what happens around the jail doors and what the Llama mutator is for... ;)

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Well, allowing executions in continuous mode has implications on what is allowed as an execution and who can be in that jail. For example executions should not affect the area outside the jail. Also what to do with players of non-captured teams that happen to be in that jail?

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
If it's a shared jail I guess those players would have to be teleported to freedom before the execution starts, which is the way it works now isn't it? Or you could also let the teammates be executed too... :D

I am thinking of this as a 2-team thing btw... the whole 4-team idea sounds too complicated to me... :rolleyes:

Any example of a map whose execution affects an area out of the jail? Can't think of any and don't really see the point of that...