UT3 CTF-ThornsClassic

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Syphir

Apr 8, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
www.mapraider.com
Name: CTF-ThornsClassic

Version: v1.0

Compatibility: UT3 - shouldn't need anything more than the base game, and it's patches - of course.

Description: A nostalgic port of the old UT99 classic, Thorns. A close-quarters, arena-style CTF map. This one is for the fans.

Comments: This map was a lot of fun to make even though it only took me less than 10 hours to make. The textures are all ported from UT99, and the map itself is 99% BSP. Although this is a port, it is a handmade port - not a copy/paste conversion. The scaling to the original is pretty accurate, I'd say. It's an exact replica.

For everyone who hasn't played Thorns, which I'm sure a lot of you haven't - this map is a pretty linear, arena-style, CQC styled map. Both flags oppose each other, with a damage amplifier in the middle. Yes, it's a spam fest - but it's one of the best there ever was in my opinion.

It's just a lot of fun to play.

Screenshot:

previewScreen_Large.jpg

ScreenShot00006-1.jpg

ScreenShot00005-1.jpg

Credits: This particular map is my own doing, and my own doing alone. But I referenced other maps for it, and I have full credited the original authors who's work I've referenced for this map in the readme file of this map.

Homepage: http://www.mapraider.com/syphir

Download: http://syphir.exploit7.org/CTF-ThornsClassic_v1-0.zip/

Last edited:

Syphir

Apr 8, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
www.mapraider.com
looks very UT'ish

should add staticmeshes in and stuff.

It's meant to look UTish. It's an exact replica, textures and all. Some people like it, some people don't.

I was debating whether or not I should've created a graphically updated version for UT3. I do have some plans to do another remake, one that is more on graphically impressive. I may or may not do it - but I like the ideas I have.

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
im just saying that generally when people make re-makes they bring it up to standard of the new game.
I think you missed the "Classic" part

I have to admit this map can be quite a hilarious guilty pleasure. Looking forward to seeing how ****ed up it gets with BattleRPG; I'm sure it will be a lot like WAR-Spambox in UT3 :I

Now just wait until someone makes a version of this with vehicles for some ungodly reason

Nov 4, 2001
The Kitchen
this maps gameplay is so hideous, it would be pointless to waste your time making it graphically impressive.
Maybe with stock CTF, yeah. Play it with Carry the Flag in UT99 and it's actually amazingly fun sometimes.

Does anyone know if Carry the Flag for UT3 is happening or available? I really hate the stock "teleport the flag back to base" bull**** in CTF, and always have. Having to actually take the flag back to base makes the CTF dynamic way way way more fun, and it's actually possible to score on some maps (VCTF-Kargo, I'm looking at you).

Syphir

Apr 8, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
www.mapraider.com
Sup guys.

Sorry my link stopped working. For some reason, during my vacation from the last few days - FileFront dropped my file. I have a new download location that is more reliable!

Please try redownloading! Thank you.

And for the people who have already tried it, or are taking the time to post here with any opinions - thanks. I appreciate it.

The map is kind of a classic for a lot of UT99 players. And I know generally remakes are brought up to the standards of the game it's being ported to - but I decided that due to the map's gameplay style that it really wasn't necessary.

I was planning on making a new version eventually which IS improved upon... but I may not. We will see.

http://syphir.exploit7.org/CTF-ThornsClassic_v1-0.zip

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
Review

That's a tough one to review.

78% ? While I'm sure syphir made a faithful remake, every incarnation of Thorns before was awful in terms of gameplay. It's just a massively overscaled flat corridor with some pillars and a flag at either end :hmm:

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
Accurate conversions don't need any imagination because they are conversions. Like I said in the review the gameplay may be too simple by today's standards. I was scoring it within the context of an accurate port as well as a UT3 map.

That's why it was difficult to score.

Maybe these kinds of ports need their own section and scoring.

Last edited: