Memes and BuF today

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Please feel free to ignore this thread because as i write it i'm about 50/50 on whether i'll actually post it or whether i'll just shut the browser and do some artwork instead.

Before i begin, as a query i wonder does anyone remember a time, long ago, early in UT2003's release or possibly before that, it had become popular and a bit of a fad for people to insult each other in an off-hand way for whatever reason by calling each other gay,ghey, a fag, etc. After a while the joke got old and a few threads and complaints popped up here and there, often from people who were actually gay.

I remember distinctly one specific thread that popped up, a few heated debates occured therein but a general concensus was sort of reached... bitterly in some cases but the opinions became clear and, well generally speaking, using such language in such a manner hasn't been anywhere near as frequent ever since,(This is it i think, maybe)
http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=117808
which is a good thing really in theory although i think even less people would be bothered by it these days.

And now to the meat of the post...
In a similar vein i wanted to raise some of my concerns. Possibly it's stupid and whilst i realise this is the internets and wild flailing for comedic success in the vain hope of popularity will be rife in any highly populated forum, i can't help but say that even BuF seems to have gone down hill in recent times.

Now i don't mean to point fingers and i certainly don't want to hold everyone or anyone accountable for anything in particular as this is just a kind of all encompassing observation and i realise many things are situational and not even meant literally but... well when BuF turns into a place where people can make threads about it being Good that someone is going to die horribly, make a post about how funny it would be if a woman got raped, all the funny circumstances that could lead to it and how terribly amusing these events could be, jokes are made that people are paedophiles, etc.

Is it just me or is the general level of humour on BuF falling/rising to a somewhat uncomfortable level. I realise censorship is not something that BuF is about, short of nudity and non-disguised sw34rs, and a sort of self-consensus of what is acceptable has maintained these boards until now in some ways. That said though i'm the sort of person who believes that if people go too far... then they need to be told because how would they know if they weren't old? Even if your wrong about how far they went and your being too prudish, at least you've then given them the chance to say that you are the one in fact going too far.

Well already this post has turned out quite long and I imagine your either bored and are planning to quote the bit at the beginning about not posting and telling me to follow my own advice, just written TL;DR in spite or despite of reading the post and/or are wondering why I mentioned Memes in the title.

Well i blame them. I'm of the opinion that some people try too hard to "invent" or "pioneer" Memes*. I guess you'd call them the Forum-Troll-Hero wanting to invent the next Chuck Norris. It's very much like doing what the cool kids do in the hope of fitting in but it's started too, from my perspective anyway, spill over into a few too many threads, it's almost become more important to meme amusingly than it is to post sensibly. I guess i'm asking for people to "Meme-responsibly"... heh, that sounds stupid.

... I'll stop writing now(Edit- apparantly not) but i should say really... That i am the sort of person who is a Mighty Boosh fan, if you've heard of it, or similarly Venture Brothers. I enjoy both of them very much but i'm aslo the sort of person who is always a bit disapointed when they make rape jokes or similar. It is a thing that is too real in my opinion to be funny, i simply can't see the funny side to it in any light.(please don't see this as a challenge to try and show me it's funny)

I'd like to know what others think on the subject though, i'm certainly not bestowng a judgement upon all of BuF and i'd like to know what others think, whether anyone else has noticed the same, similar, don't care or whether i'm simply getting too old for these forums now really. I apologise now if this post makes people angry, it's genuinely not intended to be flammatory. How are our standards? Do we have any?

*- I do appreciate it would be terribly funny to respond to this post with nothing but meme's by the way so feel free.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
tl;dr version? Seriously?

I think I caught the gist of it, you don't mind internet culture and the memes that becomes popular with it but you don't like the overuse or people trying to force new ones?

I don't think anyone on this forum overuses or tries to force any imo. I love most internet culture and most memes anywhere on the internet. I'm not really bothered by people trying to force memes either cause they never make it. :p

Read more, so you think the "in bad taste jokes" are linked to memes? Meh, I don't think so at all, hell I don't even think it's the anonymity of the internet, though that does let us express some of the worse stuff in our personality that wouldn't be accepted in real life. Eh, I guess it's a matter of opinion of where "the line" is.

Last edited:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I can't help smiling when I see the word meme :p (it means granny in french).

Exus Tecius

like diamonds in the sky
Sep 24, 2003
Visit site
hmm.i dont want to sound to conservative but there is some content true in shadows statement tbh.
but taking jokes and learn to live with it...i mean taking it easy shows charakter.
dunno maybe it is all a trend thingie, you know 4chan /b/ trollage kinda ;)

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Well, in a general sense, I think instead of steadily increasing the number of taboos and 'sensitive' subjects, thereby becoming a forum / society / world of whiny, oversensitive hypocrites, we should all toughen & lighten up a bit. So let's mock each other's ethnicity, sexual orientation, and religion; glorify drug use, crack some pedo jokes, and deny the Holocaust, and then grab a beer together like MEN. Aye!

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Well, in a general sense, I think instead of steadily increasing the number of taboos and 'sensitive' subjects, thereby becoming a forum / society / world of whiny, oversensitive hypocrites, we should all toughen & lighten up a bit. So let's mock each other's ethnicity, sexual orientation, and religion; glorify drug use, crack some pedo jokes, and deny the Holocaust, and then grab a beer together like MEN. Aye!

My post in easy mode... sort of. Damn I really couldn't put what I was thinking into text very well so I didn't really go into detail in my post and stopped early and made it short. :lol:

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002

Listen to Raptor Jesus. He is your saviour.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
LOL

Correct me if I'm wrong but the "Ballin" thing only exists because the song is hilarious :lol: Dude's ballin with 1$ bills... :D
It's not like it's being pushed around in every thread, just the avatars :)
Like DemoGuy, isn't that a local meme as well? Or the "omg epic betrayed us" tag and related ones we've seen floating around in the news section for some time ;)

They're jokes, sure I agree it's repetitive to post it more than a few times, but it's the definition of a meme I think. As long as it's funny and somewhat related to the topic I see no harm in doing it. At the same time you're posting in Off Topic, and maybe the section's become like it is today over the years (Off Topic is BUF's /b/ sometimes I think). Maybe there should be a "SRS BZNS" section or something :p

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
I make no apologies for no tl:dr version Sleep, simply reading the first seven words should be advise enough, though your response is fair enough and your probably quire right. :)
Well, in a general sense, I think instead of steadily increasing the number of taboos and 'sensitive' subjects, thereby becoming a forum / society / world of whiny, oversensitive hypocrites, we should all toughen & lighten up a bit...

I think generally BuF is a pretty tough, light hearted bunch already but it's not about taboos and sensitive subjects... It's more about knowing what considerations you should/could make.

For example you don't go to a funeral to tell everyone the recently diseased was a jerk? Or maybe you do, the point is you know that it'd be an insensitive thing to do and if you chose to do it it was because you were doing so consciously and metaphorically would you be more inclined to do it if you felt it made you fit in better with "your mates"?

By which i suggest memes themselves are often used or tried to be created inconsiderately of a subject. In fairness it's no where near as bad here as it is in other places on the internet but meh.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I make no apologies for no tl:dr version Sleep, simply reading the first seven words should be advise enough, though your response is fair enough and your probably quire right. :)
Yeah, normally I'm not one to say tl;dr, either read it if you're interested enough or don't, and honestly it wasn't that long. Actually I read the whole thing anyways and I knew I was going to while making that post so I have no idea why I said that, was being hypocritical. :lol:

For example you don't go to a funeral to tell everyone the recently diseased was a jerk? Or maybe you do, the point is you know that it'd be an insensitive thing to do and if you chose to do it it was because you were doing so consciously and metaphorically would you be more inclined to do it if you felt it made you fit in better with "your mates"?

By which i suggest memes themselves are often used or tried to be created inconsiderately of a subject. In fairness it's no where near as bad here as it is in other places on the internet but meh.

That's why they have their rights to privacy and the right to kick you out at a funeral. There's a difference between being in public and having your private space, and everyone should understand they are in the public where everyone is anonymous to some degree when on the internet.

I didn't really understand the point you were making in the first post. It's like you're saying the internet is unfair or everyone should act by your standards instead of being free. Like I said that's why there's a difference between public and private, in the public people have free speech, ect, and you're free to have your own private forums where you can set your own rules.

I must have missed your last few sentences cause I just noticed them. Is your post just commenting on how humans act on the internet so that shows how humans are in general, since you ask what our standards are? Well I thought it was obvious that humans are sinful creatures. (greed, jealousy, hate, ect) :lol: Sad but true.

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. BuF has indeed gone downhill since I came here a few years ago (but it didn't start then, it started maybe six months or a year ago.) What's the point in replying to the majority of the trash here? This forum used to be interesting most of the time. Nowadays, threads/posts that are actually well-thought and well-typed are few and far between. Some threads start off well, and quickly get turned into rubbish by the dumb crowd (Yes, dumb. You're not nearly as funny as you think you are.)

If you bring the problems up, like we just did, it's likely people are going to tell you "then find somewhere else." That's part of the problem.

So recently I was thinking... why not just find somewhere else? So I did. And now I rarely check this forum, let alone post in it. I still hang around #fragbu pretty regularly but I'll probably stop checking in there soon. It's getting more and more like BuF every day; lines upon lines of meaningless "let's all try to insult each other and be funny" bull****.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Yeah. The sum of #fragbu's collective stupidity has even started to rub off on me. Which is why I don't talk much anymore.

But seriously, that fat bastard had it coming ;)

LOL you bastard you tricked me!! I spend 15 mins searching! :mad:

Can't believe I didn't see right below your username. :rolleyes:

Last edited: