Left 4 Dead

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I enjoy it a lot. I find that easy/normal is just not much of a challenge. Expert is a different story, and is really hard without some experienced friends. After you go through it on expert, go back with them and play it with god mode and with unlimited ammo. Great way to relieve any frustration. :D:tup:

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
Eff yeah!

I broke my college firewall using PingFu (tunneling via a proxy yeah), and I managed to get steam working ;] So I dled the demo at 40kb/sec during the night and started playing this morning.
I can even play it online with about 200-300 ping on euro servers, and 500-600 on us ones :eek:
Thanks to the source netcode it's playable, and I completed the demo on normal mode with 3 other players. So my first L4D game was successful D:

Was fun but way too easy, so I'll try harder settings next time :x And of course it works like a charm offline (0 ping ftw). And it looks good enough, and runs perfectly smooth under all circumstances (8800GTS 512 > MSAA 4x, 1280x1024, AF16x and all rest maxed =minimum 40fps in very heavy fights).
I can't stand the maximum setting for film grain though, so I set it at the default value.

Definitely a game I'll buy ;)

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
I enjoy it. But I am still not 100% sure if I will get it. If the demo gets boring within the next 5.5 days, I think I won't.

If this game was open-world and had a bigger variety of cool weapons and environmental stuff to use (be it free physics objects or traps like in HL2 Ravenholm) it would be the PERFECT Zombie game.

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
Tried to play on expert (and only) mode, thats incredibely hard. We completed only 1st map — hospital.

Witch looks like emo girl.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
Oh come on JaFO, just try steam ;[ Pretty please ;0

This just in... Steam's old bad rep is completely forgotten.
I signed up in jan/feb? & haven't got a bad word to say about it as a platform.

Grabbed the demo last night & had a bit of a game w/ Funkblast, seemed like
good clean crazy fun for the brief time I was able to stay connected.

Am I right in thinking once the game is released the demo will cease to work?

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
I tried to download it yesterday via Steam and it would not let me unless I pre-purchased the game.

You might have tried to download it before it was unlocked. I got it yesterday evening (GMT) even though I didn't pre-order on Steam. Give it another shot.

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
Anyone noticed that menu affected by consoles?

Cannot go to keyboard preferences from audio: need to close it first and so on. Not a big issue, though, as it doest take much time to configure game.
Creating server look illlogical for me: campaign -> play with friends -> start lobby -> set game from friends-only to public.

SirYawnalot

Slapping myself in the face
Jan 17, 2004
England
www.facebook.com
The demo is incredibly mindless fun. Think Serious Sam but with Zombies, I mean that level of insanity in many parts and just plain run and gun, balls to the wall, etc. the whole time you are playing. I've played through the demo several times on varying difficulties and it can get rather crazy. For example, try Advanced on Level2, but just hang around the beginning instead of progressing on. Eventually the witches find you, and eek gads that is insane. I'm really looking forward to the full version.

the only thing that really bugs me terribly is the flashlights. And by that I mean the fact that if you turn your flashlight off you can't see squat, even if people around you have them. You can't do more than tell that they have them on, and it can be really aggravating particularly when you are running around the witches.

I think that pretty much nails it.

One worry I have is the level design - I hope the whole game isn't going to be grey, dark, drab and soulless, otherwise it's going to be FEAR all over again. Not something you want to spend hours at a time playing.
On the other hand, if they throw in some open daytime levels or plush parks/gardens/mansions, I'm 100% sold.

KillStreak

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Sep 11, 2005
somewhere
I like the game, it just isnt worth the money. I found it too casual and too linear. Still a fun game, but not somthing I would pay more than 25 bucks for. TF2 is only 20, i rather spend my money there.

Last edited:

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Was fun but way too easy, so I'll try harder settings next time

That's kind of disappointing. When left4dead411.com did the first playtest LOOOONNNG ago, they said that it was ridiculously difficult and that the only way to survive was to have near perfect teamwork and communication. I was looking forward to that. But I guess they eased up on the difficulty since then.

Wish I could play. Too much school work and other distractions. :(

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
You still have to remember that the demo is the very first two levels of the game. I think there's 20 something levels in the full thing, and I doubt the difficulty is the same throughout.

KillStreak

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Sep 11, 2005
somewhere
That's kind of disappointing. When left4dead411.com did the first playtest LOOOONNNG ago, they said that it was ridiculously difficult and that the only way to survive was to have near perfect teamwork and communication. I was looking forward to that. But I guess they eased up on the difficulty since then.

Wish I could play. Too much school work and other distractions. :(

download it and you can finish the demo in like 10 mins. It takes me 10 mins to take a dump, im sure you can find the time to atleast try it.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
You make an awful lot of critique for not having played a public demo that's available to the.. you know.. public.
it's just my initial opinion based on the gameplay footage.
The environment simply looks incredibly boring and dull to me.

I'm waiting for the game to unlock in a few days (I'm not paying for gold and I ain't touching Steam with a thirty-foot pole).

The gameplay is heaps fun and is something entirely new. ....
I just wonder if the game is as fun off-line ... with mere AI as teammates (provided the game has such a thing).
If the game has no off-line mode then it's definitely back to 'dead rising' if I want a bit of zombie-slaying.

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
If its too easy then crank up the difficulty. Normal was way too easy for me. I've been playing online matches on the highest difficulty and it takes every ounce of teamwork to stay alive especially with a tank rampaging and rearranging peoples body structure.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
it's just my initial opinion based on the gameplay footage.
The environment simply looks incredibly boring and dull to me.

I'm waiting for the game to unlock in a few days (I'm not paying for gold and I ain't touching Steam with a thirty-foot pole).

I just wonder if the game is as fun off-line ... with mere AI as teammates (provided the game has such a thing).
If the game has no off-line mode then it's definitely back to 'dead rising' if I want a bit of zombie-slaying.

Game is fun offline. I've not had a chance to give it a runthrough with friends yet, only in the SP mode. You need to remove the pole from your ass and download steam already.

~Jason

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
You need to remove the pole from your ass and download steam already.

No, let him be... ...well, he is missing for example Ravenholm (yes!!!!!) which is already playable even in the demo (sic!!!!). (There are some minor limitations though in the demo)

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdEzP2WMZ60&fmt=18

Let him mash his controller in the same 4 maps in the full version over and over again.

Currently a lot of maps from other Valve games are compatible with LEft4Dead. Thanks to the AI-Director.

When the full version is out and the L4D SDK is out I think we will get a lot of very cool maps. Even CS maps work fine without modding since the AI-DIrector spawns the Zombies there fine.

Last edited: