GUN CONTROL

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SU3000

Bringer of Fear and 0wnage
Jun 10, 2000
The Netherlands
www.carpeimperium.com
All right, Let's see what we have...

UY:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>What country are you from where guns are illegal? How large a country is it and how does it compare to the US for it's personal freedoms. How easy do you think it would be to de-arm citizens of the US? How could this be accomplished?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just like Blow__Smoke I'm from the Netherlands, but guns are illegal in all of Europe. Compared to the US in personal freedoms, I can say that we are at least as free, I think we have more laws governing things, but a less strict enforcement of those laws. It will be an immense task to disarm the citizens of the US and this is not a task which is accomplished overnight. I think the mentality has to change to start with.

Let me give a few examples:
UY:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>The guns are here. Im here. The crooks have them and they use them...
But if the crooks have them, I'll have one too.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
In holland the criminals have guns too, but that doesn't mean that everybody goes and buys a gun, we have police to deal with criminals.

Then LiquiD_SiN says:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Bottom line is this isnt really about guns, its about rights. Give one up and the next is soon to follow.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
So you think it's your right to carry a device which is designed solely for the purpose of killing people ?
Apparantly you don't trust your government, which is a problem which must be solved.
Let me give an example, if here in holland, or any other european country a fundamental right were to be taken away, all hell would brake loose, and people would be very upset, and through a process called democracy we'd fight to get the decission reversed, what do you think the free press is for?

(you're still with me? I'm almost done :) )
There is one quote I want to end with, it is trinity saying:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>...when gun-control advocates talk about crime, they assume that no guns=no crime.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think it should be "no guns=less lethal crimes/accidents".

Again, I don't want to offend anyone, and I hope it doesn't sound to patronizing, I'd just like to have you (americans) see it through the eyes of someone else who sees things from a distance, and isn't to emotionally attached.

"I'll be back" :)

bullet2.gif

-+- I am the SlachterUnit3000 -+-

[This message has been edited by SlachterUnit3k (edited 06-17-2000).]

trinity

Noli me tangere
Jan 3, 2000
Southern California
Shlachter - thats assuming that the gun is the root of the problem, which it isnt, its the people...
A pen is a fairly nonlethal weapon right? you cant take away my right to have a pen. Why is it nonlethal? It doesnt kill people. However, my dad was an MP long ago, and you have to take pens off of people immediatly, because you can ram a pen into someones eye and wedge it into their brain and kill them. It can kill people. Its a lethal weapon.
Why am i using an instrument thats designed to kill? Because I dont kill people with it.
If I'm using my gun to feel secure, or to hunt/provide, then I'm using a nonlethal weapon cause im not killing anyone.
This is why America was formed, this is why we left Europe in the first place.

:)

bullet2.gif

"PuFemales 0\/\/n j00!!!!"

Azmo

ul+ra l33+
Mar 27, 2000
Netherlands
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>If I'm using my gun to feel secure,...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>How does owning a gun make you feel more secure? If someone with a gun enters your house, you won't be scared because you have one in a safe yourself? If you walk the streets at night, you aren't be scared of getting shot/robbed/raped because you have one lying at home yourself? Or are you saying you would carry your gun at all times? And if someone holds a gun against your head, you don't feel threatened because you have one in your pocket yourself? You don't get scared in a shootout? (Just wondering....)

I think this is where your reasoning (and that of the other pro-arms people) fails. You would only feel secure as long as you were not confronted with anybody pointing a gun at you. And if you allowed everybody to purchase firearms (no matter what their reasons for buying one were), you would be confronted with them a lot more than today.

If nobody were allowed to bear arms and nobody did, would you still need to defend your home? There are a lot more problems that need to be solved in the US (like ghettos, equal rights, justice for all), before you could reach this utopia. But you are simply looking at a tiny aspect of the problem ("bad people carry guns, so I want one as well"). I ask you again: If you owned a gun, would you always feel safe? I don't think so.

And yes, a pen can be lethal. But arms were specifically designed to harm people. Pens were not. The majority of people (probably 99.99%) use pens for writing. The number of peolpe being penned to death (worldwide, yearly) is probably less than 10. So there's no point in comparing the two. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Why am i using an instrument thats designed to kill? Because I dont kill people with it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>But a large number of people do use guns to harm/threaten others. And a gun does a far better job of it than a pen, too.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>This is why America was formed, this is why we left Europe in the first place.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL, I can see it now. 30 million Europeans (from different countries) all suddenly saying: "Let's leave this crap behind and go to America. I don't know what that is, because it hasn't been discovered yet, but it must be a lot better than this place" :)

[This message has been edited by Azmo (edited 06-17-2000).]

trinity

Noli me tangere
Jan 3, 2000
Southern California
I see some issue confusing here, and some fuzzy logic. I wouldnt feel afraid if I had a gun? Does that matter?
At least it gives me a better chance to defend my loved ones.
How one feels shouldn't be the issue, the issue is liberty. Freedom is what America was about. I should have the freedom to carry a gun, as long as I do so responsibley, and don't murder people.
Thats all there is. Those who misuse the freedom should be punished. Not the law-abiding citizen.
After all, no criminal is gonna stop caryying out his crimes just because theres some law saying he cant have a gun. If in your heart youre gonna kill, youre gonna kill no matter what.
The only ones being hindered is the law abiding, and so they get put at a disadvantage - they cant even own a gun to hunt, much less protect themselves, while the scum of the earth can terrorize as they will....
Lovely.

bullet2.gif

"PuFemales 0\/\/n j00!!!!"

SU3000

Jun 10, 2000
The Netherlands
www.carpeimperium.com
Hello again :)

trinity:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>thats assuming that the gun is the root of the problem, which it isnt, its the people...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm not sure what the problem is, it's just that, IMHO, guns are really bad devices.
Like I said before, their only purpose is to kill people.
About the pen as a weapon...
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>The pen is mightier than the sword.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Where I live it has actually been used once as a weapon (and killed), but this is really an exception, and a very bad comparison, I think.

Furthermore I think this is a rather amusing discussion about a serious subject.
It's mainly dutch vs. americans, saying "guns are evil" vs "guns are freedom".
I'm not sure what I can say more. It would require a long night (or more) some nice company and a few beers to talk it over ;).
But hey, if I feel I have to say something I'll do it, again... :)

bullet2.gif

[This message has been edited by SlachterUnit3k (edited 06-17-2000).]

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
Shootings are kinda rare over here. Maybe London isn't so bad after all :)

This is an infinite topic though. Americans will always claim the right to bear arms, and everyone else will always ask why.

bullet2.gif

Will the real Zaccix please stand up, please stand up, please stand up.

SU3000

Jun 10, 2000
The Netherlands
www.carpeimperium.com
Well said Zaccix :)
But you have to give them something to talk about, otherwise it would be one american vs. the other on how nice & good it is to carrie guns ;)

bullet2.gif

[This message has been edited by SlachterUnit3k (edited 06-18-2000).]

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
Hello all!
I invite all people that live outside the US to visit us someday to "walk in our shoes". Live here for a few months and see what it's like. I for one, don't own a gun, but then again I am fortunate enough not to have been in need of one. I live in a small city close to Tampa Bay, Florida. It is a low risk community as far as crime goes. I just got married 2 months ago.
Using a resource on http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Sexual_Predators/index.asp I just found out that there are 13 sexual offenders living in my immediate community, and 739 in the surrounding Tampa Bay area. Now, let me ask you this. If you--or your loved one, for that matter--were at home, alone, and someone broke in to your house, with intent to steal, rob, rape, or kill you, what would you rather have, your strong opinions against owning guns or a loaded gun/shotgun/rifle? Sure, I'm sure there are people out there that would rather be a$s raped than admit that they would rather have a gun. That's fine. Over here, we have choices. Be good, be bad. Trust in your government, or trust in your own ability to defend yourself. By the time the police get there, there won't be much left I assure you. It happens all the time... to people that have nothing to defend themselves with.
One thing you can count on being a factor in the way people view guns is the media, which is for the most part biased. The Rosie O'Donnells of the world would have every gun owner--regardless of registration or not--put in jail. But those same people, when given the choice, choose to protect their loved ones with firearms. Guns are a deterrant, no matter what.
Here's a funny analogy :) I know you guys probably like the Matrix, so ask yourself this, short of being the One, what could Morpheus' group done against the agents without guns? Funny thing is, the guns weren't even physically real.

bullet2.gif

[This message has been edited by Deadpool_Bokki (edited 06-18-2000).]

Iron Archer

Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
...and on another note, sports don't kill people. Rioting fans do.

bullet2.gif

My hemorrohoids are flaring up something fierce from deathmatching all day long. --Cliff Bleszinski, PC Gamer, July 2000

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/Sexual_Predators/index.asp is the link.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. And if someone comes a bustin' through the windows at my place, I'm damned if I gottta get my .45's out of a friggin' safe - most nights I carry 'em on me. There's no law that prevents you from carrying the weapons in your own home.

But if the gun-control advocates are allowed have their way, you're pretty much the bitch of whoever decides to break into your home.

-
chainsaw.GIF

bullet2.gif

]LoL[Wolf|PuF
- Freelancer and Shock Rifle whore for ]LoL[

Iron Archer

Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
hehe oops, 'fixed that link for ya..

bullet2.gif

My hemorrohoids are flaring up something fierce from deathmatching all day long. --Cliff Bleszinski, PC Gamer, July 2000

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
Gun control will make it hard for sex offenders to purchase weapons from legally established gun dealers. It will make it hard for everyone. But most thugs don't buy their weapons from stores - they pick 'em up off the streets, from "businessmen" who are directly operated by organized crime.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>btw. iirc sexoffenders and other unstables live quite isolated lives, with hardly any friends, so they don't have the neccessary resources/networks like the big time criminals to acquire guns, so I think it is less likely they can get some.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're a criminal, the only resource you need is $$$. The "big-time" guys make it their business to make weapons available to common scum. That's why we've got to take more aggressive action against both small and big-time bad dudes alike.

-
chainsaw.GIF

bullet2.gif

]LoL[Wolf|PuF
- Freelancer and Shock Rifle whore for ]LoL[

Azmo

ul+ra l33+
Mar 27, 2000
Netherlands
Actually, I think a comparison between the Netherlands and the US might be very useful:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>The Dutch have never been allowed to bear arms. We have no desire to bear any, either. We are concerned about our rights, but do not count the "right" to bear arms among them. A few people get duped, a lot get to live, that's our perspective.
<LI>We have strict laws, registration and licencing procedures for hunters and people who want to own rifles for sports. If you lose your gun, you're in deep $hit.
<LI>The police and customs officers see to it that a minimum of illegal weaponry enters our country.
<LI>When we get pulled over by the police it's either because we did something wrong, or they want to check our breaths for the presence of alcohol. If you haven't drunk too much, you just blow in the tube, the officer thanks you for your cooperation, and you drive off. He'll also point out any minor defects of your car.
<LI>We do not see the point above as an invasion of our privacy, but as something we do for the benefit of our community. Drunk drivers are being taken from our roads, that's what matters to us.
<LI>We have less harddrug related crimes. Junkies are seen as victims, and receive help accordingly. Yes, it costs a lot of tax-payers' money, but we're avoiding a lot of crime and insecurity this way (and crime is expensive, too).
<LI>If the Dutch police find out you're a harddrug dealer, your a$$ is toast. They will not wait for an incident to happen, they're gonna make sure you're out of business ASAP.
<LI>The Dutch have a 99% chance that a burglar entering their homes won't be armed with anything more than a screwdriver. Just scream from your room that you're calling the cops, and most of them will get the hell out of your house.
<LI>Our government warns us against the threat of burglars and the police provides us with information on how to secure our homes.
<LI>Marihuana is condoned by our government. If you carry less than five grams, it's perceived as being for private use. You can buy marihuana in coffeeshops, which are (supposedly) monitored by the government. This has taken the purchase of softdrugs away from the hardcore drugdealers. Before this policy was accepted, you bought marihuana from guys who were selling harddrugs as well. That made it very easy to experiment and get hooked to "the bad stuff".
<LI>We don't get frisked unless we committed a crime. Hardly anybody gets beat up by the cops because they're black. Of course there are minor incidents.
<LI>We do not have a racial problem as big as the US does. Coloured people here have a fairly good chance of getting an education and a good job (still less than the white people, unfortunately). We do not have ghettos like the Bronx or Harlem. There's no real need for anyone to enter a clan if they want to get some cash. The number of clans in our country is very small, and can easily be dealt with by the police.
<LI>Only hardcore criminals (drugdealers, pimps, bankrobbers, hooligans ;)) have guns in our country. They're not gonna waste bullets on some dumb prick like me just to get $10; they're gonna use them when they really need to, because guns are hard to get.
<LI>Our country has slowly developed over the past two millennia. Yours is about 200 years old. (Believe me, this makes a difference)
</UL>
The situation is slowly getting worse here, though.

So what does all this add up to? We don't want or need guns. Maybe because we're not threatened by any, maybe because we know getting more guns to fight guns is not a solution, but an increase of a problem.

Analogy (I think): The Netherlands are located mostly beneath sealevel and are protected by dikes. We ensure our safety by manning these and inspecting them for any possible weaknesses. As long as we make sure there's never any breaches, there's only a minimal effort involved. Once the dikes breach though, a huge effort is needed to stop the flood and reclaim our country.

I think the US has already let their dikes breach too much (allowed too many firearms). If you want to reclaim your country, simply banning guns will not help you one bit (as I have said a number of times before). You'd have to actively search for firearms, improve the chances of coloured people, fight harddrugs with a vengeance, get rid of corrupt (i.e. all ;)) politicians, etc. Then, after a few decades, you would see some changes. But I fear that if you decide to allow people the right to bear arms, you will never be able to change back, and your problem will increase tenfold.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Don't do what you can't undo, until you've considered what you can't do once you've done it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Prince Verity - Assassin's Apprencice - Robin Hobb :) Read it. :)

Note: The comparison above is based on my (limited) knowledge of the US society. Feel free to correct me.

UY

Preacher
Nov 24, 1999
Austin, Tx.
Visit site
Some interesting points of view here.

Commenting on a few...the idea of not having a gun and confronting a criminal breaking into my home and believing the guy is not going to do my any harm because Im not armed is ridiculous and not reality. In fact, I think it owuld definitely increase the odds of me getting seriously hurt or killed.

Depend on the govt and police?
I dont think so. Why? Because the police are geared to act AFTER the incident...not before. In fact there are thousands of documented cases where the victim had reported threats and violent encounters with the assailant that killed him or her. So where were the police then. I'll tell you. They were waiting until it happened.
I had a house across the street that a bunch of drug dealers were working out of. I told the sherrif's dept about it and was informed "Oh, we know all about them..nothing we can do...judge wont issue a search warrant based upon common knowledge of criminal activity..there has to be an incident with some serious consequences before we can act.

Last comment/question. As in the other forum I'll ask this question and would like to see some realistic answers...not theories and comparisons to Holland or any other country.

1. How do you propose to take away guns from the criminal element and keep them away. How can you shut down the criminal underground and do this?

This has to happen to have any real, workable gun control/elimination.

bullet2.gif

Don't start no $hit and there won't be any. Otherwise I'll DEVIATE from my normal nice self and jump all over your triffling a$s :]
{DvT}UY

SU3000

Jun 10, 2000
The Netherlands
www.carpeimperium.com
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>1. How do you propose to take away guns from the criminal element and keep them away. How can you shut down the criminal underground and do this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think you can, nowhere, at least not in a democratic society. It could be done in a totalitarian, Stalinistic society, but that is not something we'd want, I think.
The answer to your question is something you americans have to figure out yourselves.
All the others can do is give you comparisons to other countries, and that is something you don't want.
Well, there is one thing, like I said before; I once read an article (science, new scientist ? sorry, can't remember) in which there were comparative graphs of different cities, you had chicago and some english town, liverpool or manchester, iirc. Anyway, the curves looked about the same, with most gun related homicides commited by young men in their mid twenties, the difference was the scaling, the chigaco scale went up to 300 while the English scale went 'only' to about 40. This is about ten times higher... And it only involves the deaths, it doesn't count the wounded people.

There is one thing I would like to add; having strict gun-control laws, will definitely make it harder for your average joe criminal to acquire a gun. Big-time criminals can and will allways be able to acquire guns, no matter what you do.
But if you can stop the sexoffenders, the psychologically unstable, and other fools with no morals whatsoever, from acquiring guns, you have reached a goal.
btw. iirc sexoffenders and other unstables live quite isolated lives, with hardly any friends, so they don't have the neccessary resources/networks like the big time criminals to acquire guns, so I think it is less likely they can get some.

Remember-- this is all imho, my only hope is to show you an different point of view :).

--
...And on another note, sports don't kill people, psychologically deranged rioting people, calling themselves fans, do.
(but at least they don't have guns...) ;)

bullet2.gif

[This message has been edited by SlachterUnit3k (edited 06-19-2000).]

Azmo

ul+ra l33+
Mar 27, 2000
Netherlands
Actually, that's not much of a comparison, now is it? It looks more like a summary of the "Dutch" situation and point of view. I guess it all comes down to this: nobody wants guns, because nobody needs guns, because nobody has guns, because we never let anybody have any.

Once you let all people get their hands on firearms, you end up with a downward spiral: More guns = more murders = more people demanding more guns = .....

If you can't solve the problem (just yet), at least try to prevent it from getting worse.

bullet2.gif

dunce.gif
Still desperately trying to make sense...

[This message has been edited by Azmo (edited 06-19-2000).]

SU3000

Jun 10, 2000
The Netherlands
www.carpeimperium.com
To Wolf: I'm not talking about common scum, I'm talking about the seriously deranged people,like sex offenders, or people going on killing sprees, because of a wrong internetinvestment or because their girlfriend broke up with them, or whatnot.
Those people haven't got a clue, or should have very much difficulty in finding a big-time gundealer.

To Amzo: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>We don't get frisked unless we committed a crime. Hardly anybody gets beat up by the cops because they're black. Of course there are minor incidents.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't think you must involve race as this is a very touchy subject, especially when talking to americans, they have a very different history involving ethnic minorities. And we do have our own problems, although they are not a large yet as in the States.
And like Blow__Smoke said, the Bijlmer isn't a nice place to live, and Rotterdam and Den Haag also have their 'troubled' areas.

And ssshhhh... I'm trying to convince these people that Hooligans don't have guns ;)...

bullet2.gif

[This message has been edited by SlachterUnit3k (edited 06-19-2000).]

Azmo

ul+ra l33+
Mar 27, 2000
Netherlands
Slachter, I know it's a sore spot, but it's part of the problem. As long as a large number of people have no future to look forward to, except a life of crime (selling drugs or weapons), the US will never be a safe/peaceful/united country. Make sure everybody has the same rights/opportunities, and a lot of hatred/dissatisfaction will (probably) disappear.

You can't just look a the right to bear arms and proclaim all your troubles will be over once you own a gun. You have to look at the country, it's citizens and it's history as a whole. Solutions to these problems are never easy, but focussing on one or two aspects and basing your solution on that may only make things worse.

BTW, I lived in Amsterdam for four years, and I've been to the Bijlmer (at night). I agree it's scary, but the stories(?) I've heard about the NY ghettos are a lot worse.

BTW2, guess which country was one of the worse slave traders and had only one contribution to international vocabulary: "apartheid". We just don't have to live with that part of our history every day. (And I'm not saying the US does, or that anybody should)

Oh, and hooligans mostly carry knives, chains, baseball bats and lead pipes. Hardly ever guns. :) :(

SU3000

Jun 10, 2000
The Netherlands
www.carpeimperium.com
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>...I know it's a sore spot, but it's part of the problem. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Still I don't think it is relevant for the discussion as a whole, I mean rapists are allmost exclusively white, and the people going on killing sprees are also allmost all white. And these are a couple of the reasons which are used to ban/have guns...
About your BTW2, yes that's true and sad, but I think we got that straightened out a long time ago.

bullet2.gif

Bounca

Unemployed Loser
Jan 18, 2000
Visit site
Deadpool brought up and excellent point! *cough

We must arm ourselves to the teeth when we make incorrect decisions on where we relocate and the end result may be getting a$s raped.

My sarcastic point:

I'll move, buy a big a$s dog, post a sign that I have a big a$s dog, install and alarm, post a sign that I have a big a$s alarm, buy a big a$s baseball bat, post a sign that says I have a big a$s baseball bat, or make my family where Kevlar (ah, maybe not, that would be uncomfortable), etc., etc., BEFORE I BRING A GUN INTO MY HOUSEHOLD AND SOCIETY because I fear for my families wellbeing.

This does not mean I necessarily I am for gun control. I welcome the freedom of choice. But I do want to beg those who feel a gun in the household will protect them, to consider other options. I have no facts to back this up so correct me if I am wrong but I suspect that the likely hood that the gun you purchase is used for a malicious act at some point in it's life span, is much higher that it being used for self defense.