Textures and models

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Make sure the files are 2X2 4x4 8x8 16x16 32x32 64x64 128x128 256x256 512x512 1024x1024.

And they must be on BMP ,TGA , PCX formats.Then, what you need to do is to put it inside myLevel Package , so it tell the editor that these/this texture(s) will not require a aditional package.

And don't forget to compress them to DXT1, or DXT 3 if the texture is alpha.

PS: If you want to impot a texture that is transparent , use TGA and chek ALPHA when you import the texture inside the editor.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Oh well , After importing the texture , a box will apear , It say : Package: (you enter)
Code:
myLevel

Last edited:

ArnoOnline

Mar 25, 2005
Kantham said:
Make sure the files are 2X2 4x4 8x8 16x16 32x32 64x64 128x128 256x256 512x512 1024x1024.

And they must be on BMP ,TGA , PCX formats.Then, what you need to do is to put it inside myLevel Package , so it tell the editor that these/this texture(s) will not require a aditional package.

And don't forget to compress them to DXT1, or DXT 3 if the texture is alpha.

PS: If you want to impot a texture that is transparent , use TGA and chek ALPHA when you import the texture inside the editor.

I have made a texture in Photoshop and saved it as a BMP. Afterwards I converted it to an 8-bit (256 colors) texture in IrfanView and made black (0,0,0) the color in the first place of the pallet. I thought that that would be enough to make my texture transparant (after checking 'masked' while importing), but the texture is ingame still non-transparant. What can I do about this? Is TGA the only format that supports transparant images?

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Convert to dxtc5 when having alpha.

PCX supports masking, not true transparancy like see trough but guess thats not what you want anyway.
TGA is a lot better for it so I suggest you use that for masking and alpha purposes.
PCX does work but you shouldnt use irfanview for it but Photoshop, just setting the first or last (depends on prog) color to black wont work, you need to actually replace the color in the img with the color in the masking slot. It doesnt look to the actual color. It looks to the index number a color has so it is possible to have black twice in your index which would render one of them useless (in your case the mask one)
And on a side note, setting a texture to Masked is always faster for the CPU than setting it to Alpha even if you dont notice any visual difference or very little.

ArnoOnline

Mar 25, 2005
I want a part of the image to see through completely. I can save it as a TGA, but is that enough? I'm a lil n00b with textures, so can you please tell me exactly what to do?

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
What do you use? Photoshop? If yes, use the pencil tool and drag the section you want to delete (have transparent)

It's simple , and then you save as TGA and......

Kantham said:

...what you need to do is to put it inside myLevel Package , so it tell the editor that these/this texture(s) will not require a aditional package.

And don't forget to compress them to ... DXT 3 or DXT5 ...

PS: ...chek ALPHA when you import the texture inside the editor.

Oh yea , they can be 1024X2 aswell , just use the same numbers i mentioned

Last edited:

StardogChampion

Dec 18, 2003
gamergirl1337 said:
what are some good paint programs that you can use to make them....other than photoshop?
GIMP is the obvious free one. Another program is Paint Shop Pro but you will have to buy it after the trial runs out.

Isaak

Minimalist megalomaniac.
Apr 25, 2006
Mexico DF
Others

Maybe a seamless texture creator, like Texture maker, the trial version is good enuf couse only have a restriction about the size of the texture.

R3KR

May 14, 2006
Dont know if someone mentioned this, but....

I had trouble with the transparent part in textures too, realized I have to make a new alpha channel in the channel (right next to layers in photoshop). Then in the editor, after importing, goto the texture and set its property under "surface" to "alpha" = true