UT3 UT3 Remake: CTF-Dreary3 Released [V1.1][PICS]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Hi everyone. Welcome to my CTF-Dreary3 Release Thread. Please leave a comment :) and have fun!

Name: CTF-Dreary3
Version: 1.1 for UT3
Description: This is a very high quality map, If you cannot play EPICs maps then you may have trouble playing this map also.
This map took roughly 3 months start to Finish.
Full Bot Support in this level.
Tested vigorously no bugs found.
This is a remake of CTF-Dreary made for UT1.
Allot of meshes have been turned off for low end systems so hopefully that will help, It should still look good.

Please visit this thread to read about the process of making this map or download some of the unseen images during development
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=613869

DOWNLOAD: PC Version 1.1
PS3 DOWNLOAD (Lower Detail to that of the PC version)
Thanks Anuban for the PS3 version

Screenshots:

dreary37dk2.png

dreary32vl9.png

dreary35wh1.png

dreary39lq1.png

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/3191/dreary38gg3.png

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1556/dreary31vd5.png

--------------------------
CTF-Dreary3 Release notes:
--------------------------

Title: CTF-Dreary3

Version: 1.1

Filename: CTF-Dreary3_1_1.zip

Author: Bryan Sparksman

Forum Name: bazzwano

Email Address: sparky_1309 at hotmail

Release Date: 24/7/2008

Start date: Beginning of May

-----------------------------------------------------
Other maps By Author:

CTF-Safeguard v 2.0
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=611669

About the Author/map:

This is the second map that I have ever made. But I have been editing EPIC and user made maps since UT1 for my own personal use against bots.
In comparison to CTF-Safeguard, allot of time has been spent optimizing this map.

This map was made In many different stages, all in a separate UT3 file, which I tested individually, this came to a total of 8 files, Which were copied into a final file, no file was copied into this final joint file until I was satisfied that no further changes were to be made that would require a build. These 8 Files are the 8 folders I have in the making of Dreary3. Once in the Joint file. Bot pathing was added and a very basic room was created to link to all paths and was used to hold blue flag. I then tested how the red team would use these paths.
Once satisfied, I would remove this basic room, select all, and spin the entire map a full 180 degrees. after changing the lights etc the blue base is born.

Special thanks to:

* Syphix, who sparked the lightning Idea in my map, Also for allowing me to modify his kismet controlling the
soft thunder sounds into my level. (the lightning strike sounds is quite a bit modified based on Syphix's).

* All those who have given me support during the development of this map and safeguard.

* David, DGUNREAL for answering my difficult questions, big thanks to you.

* Thanks to EPIC and their well organised packages, Deck and Hydro were played allot to get an idea of how they used their industry meshes.

Installation

Unzip CTF-Dreary3.zip

Move all files into C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

If the directory does not exist, create it manually.

Copyright / Permissions

This level is copyright 2008, by Bryan Sparksman.

Authors MAY NOT use this level as a base to build additional levels without explicit permission from the original author.

ANY bug fixes, fixes, changes, and tweaks may only be implemented by the author. No other person or party is allowed to release a modified version of this map without the author's permission. Please Email me regarding any changes you require.

You MAY NOT charge any money for this map or any of its embedded content.

You MAY distribute this level through any electronic media (internet (web/ftp), FIDO, local BBS, Magazine cover disk etc.), provided you include this file.

All other trademarks and trade names are properties of their respective owners.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I ran through it for a few minutes. AWESOME MAP! Great job, Bazz!

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Map looks good but I don't like the lighting much. Looks very bland and in a lot of places very dark. Something else I thought was a bit strange that could have helped it be less bland as well is a lot of areas, just like the bottom shot you posted on this thread, there will be a big green light or something and yet it doesn't seem to have any effect on the floor around it. Maps good though I just think the lighting needs work :)

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Bazzwano said:
This is a very high quality map
That made me rofl, it's indeed a very good map, but isn't that supossed to be said by the public? :p
It runs OK-ish on my laptop at lowest settings, though the rain is a FPS-killer... and why didn't you allow to walldodge from the flag base corridor to the Shock spot and you placed a lift 3 steps away instead? :(
Other than that, good job! :tup::tup:

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
5/5

Really great map; I wasn't a fan of the original UT map, but I think the layout suits UT3 perfectly. It is really fun to play and so far the bots knows how to handle it. You surely did a good job both in scaling and in the visual department, everything is ok the way it is. I get the maximum capped 62 fps everywhere.

Another thing I like about this map is that its useful.
It's very original among the other UT3 maps I've tried (and surely among all the retail ones) because of the cramped hallways and the "in you face" combat. With no translocator needed to navigate and without the damn minigun ownage, it provides a different experience for a ctf UT3.

It will surely stay on my hard drive.

Thank you.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Congrats man ... great map and I had nothing negative to say at all. It is lots of fun and very attractive visually. It takes a bit of getting to used to but that is really nothing new about good complex CTF levels. In UT2K4 there were many tricky and complex CTF levels that once you got the layout down were great fun and I expect the same of this. Hopefully this level will also cook well for the PS3. I have to have it on that platform. :) I'll let you know if it doesn't.

Edit: I meant to say I am glad that Safeguard did not end being your last level for UT3 afterall. That would have been a great shame. :)

Last edited:

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
It is a good map. At first I was thinking, "Dreary, hmm, I don't remember that one for UT99" and then I played about 5 seconds and it was quite clear (in a good way). Definitely a fun map, and a good remake. Thanks.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
That made me rofl, it's indeed a very good map, but isn't that supossed to be said by the public? :p
It runs OK-ish on my laptop at lowest settings, though the rain is a FPS-killer... and why didn't you allow to walldodge from the flag base corridor to the Shock spot and you placed a lift 3 steps away instead? :(

I played a beta version and I could wall dodge to the Shock just fine. Are you saying it is no longer possible??

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Just a quick comment because im at work:
You can still jump up to the shock room, I personally duble jump, I know hal can dodge (I personally havent fugurd it out) but I have changed nothing there so Hal you should still be able to!
The left was added for the bots, I thought it would be fun to chase the bots carrying the flag high, because as we all know they do not wall dodge so I added a lift for them.

You can still jump up to the shock, you just need to know what you are doing, I purposfully did not make it easy.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Map looks good but I don't like the lighting much. Looks very bland and in a lot of places very dark. Something else I thought was a bit strange that could have helped it be less bland as well is a lot of areas, just like the bottom shot you posted on this thread, there will be a big green light or something and yet it doesn't seem to have any effect on the floor around it. Maps good though I just think the lighting needs work :)

hmm fair comment I guess. It is only my second level, I personally dont think my lightning is that bad when you look at epics maps, but to be accurate, that image your referring to in my post is from a beta version, and there were 4 green lights in the covers of the room, these were moved to be in the center of each side adding the green in the right places. but I know thats not exactly what you were trying to say all round.. but still your reference was irrelevant, doesn't matter though, im just saying.

Edit: I meant to say I am glad that Safeguard did not end being your last level for UT3 afterall. That would have been a great shame. :)

Hahaha yeah... I feel that way again.. but I wont say it this time.. Lets just say no promises.. but it would be a shame to only enter 2 of 3 MSU CTF categories :D... if I were to do another remake.. what would you suggest..

What I really mean is high detail, 6 million triangles of it, 3 times that of epics maps.. so im saying warning!!..
Wall dodge... Hal can do it, and I find it pretty easy to double jump, in the original it was impossible (though it appeared you would make the jump with your teeth then jump up again) the lift was added for better bot play who wont jump up to the second level, and for those who may miss the jump.. because i didnt want it to be easy.. it never was.

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
i didnt want it to be easy.. it never was.
It wasn't easy in UT because of the game's movement (no doublejump), but the map was designed in a way so you were able to perform the jump. This one, however, is intentionally breaking the flow rather than making it as easy as possible. Making the jump harder does not make any sense with a lift 3 steps away, your choices now are performing a walldodge/doublejump or stepping onto a lift simply, so rather than making the jump hard, you made it unrewarding (IMO).
It does not really matter, the map is awesome anyway, but if you ever make an update I'd suggest that mesh to be removed... ;)

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
In regards to the PS3 version, I just had to remove over 1000 meshes, This hopefully will not be noticed that greatly, this reduces the map from 6.25 million triangles to 5 million triangles.. this is still well above the 2 million that epics maps have, I sadly had to remove all the rain FX as well, but the lightning effects stay, Im uploading this for anuban now, so hopfully this one will be better for the PS3..

Also reduced the light map from 30MB to 25MB

A bit sad, but I had a feeling it wouldn't be able to play it.

EDIT:
Thanks Anuban, So here it is everybody,
http://files.filefront.com/Dreary3PS.../fileinfo.html

Sorry that it does not have the detail of the PC version but 5 million triangles is still 3 million more then epic, I hope it still looks good to you all, but i did have to remove allot of the details, if anyone is interested into what I actually removed, this includes the nuts and bolts bracket mesh that Is seen at the bottom of all supports and the gider that is withing the supports.. easily seen in the image on the first post with the Bio gun..

nathan3011

Jan 15, 2009
Hey Guys,

Oh my god, this forum is top notch, loving the screenshots here!! how hard is the jump in Landlords Insurance because thats all that people seem to be talking about in this thread lol.

Thanks

Last edited:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Hey Guys,

Oh my god, this forum is top notch, loving the screenshots here!! how hard is the jump in it because thats all that people seem to be talking about in this thread lol.

Thanks

probibly harder then it should be, but i consider it easyer then it was in UT1, its as simple as a double jump from the floor running foward. learn it twice and ull be able to do it everytime.. I still dont understand what the fuss is about.

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
I love this extensive remake, the scales are now even more with UT3 version. :cool: There must be a new details in this map; and oh, love the rain, thunder, lightning sounds and the fans too. Just get used to it.

Three direct downloads:
ftp://ftp.unreal.ie/unreal.ie/ut3/maps/ctf/CTF-Dreary3_1_1.7z
http://www.americangamerz.com/downloads/UT3/Individual Maps/CTF-Dreary3_1_1.zip
http://ut3.ut-files.com/index.php?dir=MSU/Phase2/BestGraphicsInMap/&file=ctf-dreary3_1_1.zip

Two indirect downloads:
http://www.utzone.de/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=3084

PS3 cook by KurlonT (cooked v2.1):
http://www.ut3mod.com/2009/04/ctf-map-dreary3.html

Review by Firefly:
http://utunlimited.beyondunreal.com/?page_id=3210