Elder Scrolls: Skyrim [DARGONS EDITION]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wulff

Bola Gun fun anyone?
May 25, 2004
Netherlands
To play a deadly mage, get dual cast stagger destruction perk, and enchant your armor/robe/jewelry with destruction reduction enchantments.

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
This is the first Elder Scrolls game I'll have dabbled in. Got it for Christmas and just installed last night. Without any prior experience or research I decided on a dark elf for the sole reason of fire resistance. I figured, where there are dragons, there will be fire.

Any general tips for someone new to the series?

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
Yeah, save a lot. The game will delete auto saves after a while, so manually save often.

There's websites like www.skyrimnexus.com that have tons of mods for PC users. Some pretty cool graphical tweaks in there, and a lot of small fixes too.

But other than that, just explore and enjoy.

Anyone tried playing a Mage? A couple days ago I started playing a High Elf Mage, and let me tell you, it's not easy.

I agree. I'm a level 33 Argonian Mage. Mostly skilled in the Fire and Ice part of the Destruction tree. Haven't dabbled too much into Lightning. I love playing the mage because it's so damn hard. For some reason, coming by a decent amount of Magica potions or ingredients to make then is pretty impossible. I'm always low, but I manage. I should probably just learn where to find the ingredients and just gather them.

Have you dual fired Incinerate at a Dragon Skeleton yet? That sucka will fly for miles. It's awesome to chase it down. When I first got to the College, it was under attack by a dragon. I shot it's body out into the Ice flats, and chased it down. Explored like mad on the way. I did that for about 30 levels, just explored the game. Just now started the quests.

Last edited:

DSK

Lord and master of the Universe!
Oct 24, 2005
Britannia!
To be honest after hearing plenty of people say how realistic and amazing the graphics were I was expecting a lot more from the visuals of Skyrim. It wasn't until after I installed a variety of mods (two of which in particular) that I truly was in awe of the visuals.

I'm going to post some links to some mods I've used. If anyone else has recommendations, please post them up! :)

Improved sunglare

Realistic smoke and embers

High quality water textures

Better mountains - improved textures

HD fire effects

High-resolution dragon textures

And finally, the two that REALLY blew me away. It took a fair amount of time getting them to work together, but my word. The game looks so beautiful with these two.

Skyrim enhanced shaders (ENBseries)

Anti-alias and sharpen effect

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
[screenshot]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/631856881947398543/1E75FF7CED3998A01BC30721E00E59E9890C969B/[/screenshot]

"I've been fishing in these parts for years" -Man on mountainside dock. No water to be found except the rain.

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
How have you been killing dragons?

I'm playing as an Imperial but only level 10 as yet.

With my Wood Elf Warrior/Thief/Rogue/Whatever he is, I just hit em with the Daedric bow until they land, then I close and finish with the Daedric sword. I am pretty good with a bow, so I tend to drop half their health bar from safely outside their firing range before they land.

With my High Elf Mage, the most difficult part is closing distance enough to hit them, which has the adverse effect of putting me directly in their line of fire. Regardless, I just hit them with Bolt spells until they die. I have all my most-used spells on quick keys, and I switch to the second-tier heal spell and dual-cast it when my health gets low from fire or frost damage.

I guess it takes on average a couple minutes for me to kill one. The Frost Dragons are more difficult to kill than the regular non-prefixed Dragons.

To play a deadly mage, get dual cast stagger destruction perk, and enchant your armor/robe/jewelry with destruction reduction enchantments.

Got all that. It's still hard, and the Impact perk (the one that makes enemies stagger when dual casting) doesn't work on a lot of enemies.

Yeah, save a lot. The game will delete auto saves after a while, so manually save often.

There's websites like www.skyrimnexus.com that have tons of mods for PC users. Some pretty cool graphical tweaks in there, and a lot of small fixes too.

But other than that, just explore and enjoy.

What he said :D And yes, save often, especially if you're going pure mage; you'll be dying a lot in the early game, and still pretty regularly later on.

I agree. I'm a level 33 Argonian Mage. Mostly skilled in the Fire and Ice part of the Destruction tree. Haven't dabbled too much into Lightning. I love playing the mage because it's so damn hard. For some reason, coming by a decent amount of Magica potions or ingredients to make then is pretty impossible. I'm always low, but I manage. I should probably just learn where to find the ingredients and just gather them.

Well, this is what I've learned. Magicka Regen enchantments are basically useless because your regen rate is always crap during battles, no matter how much your enchantments increase it. The key is to decrease spell cost and/or increase spell damage. Take any and all Destruction perks you can.

Learning how to regulate your casting is also helpful, i.e. not casting too many spells too quickly. Usually, I'll open with a dual-casted Fire Bolt or Lightning Bolt, then finish off with single-casted Bolts from each hand in succession. Then, I'll hit the next guy (or thing) with a dual-casted Bolt, and wait for a few seconds to recharge (they're probably staggered anyways; this is a great time to find cover.) Then rinse and repeat.

In battle my Mana pool rarely drops below 25%. I have the Arch-Mage robes from completing the College questline, and a few accessory pieces enchanted at 100 enchantment skill and all the perks that give me 62 more Magicka (per item; enchantments stack in Skyrim.) My Mana pool is above 600 after enchantments.

Have you dual fired Incinerate at a Dragon Skeleton yet? That sucka will fly for miles. It's awesome to chase it down. When I first got to the College, it was under attack by a dragon. I shot it's body out into the Ice flats, and chased it down. Explored like mad on the way. I did that for about 30 levels, just explored the game. Just now started the quests.

Lol, no, but I certainly will try that. With the mage, I did the Liberation of Skyrim questline and the College of Winterhold questline, and that's about it. Now I'm level 32. The rest of this playthrough has mainly been spent exploring and upping my enchantment and smithing skills.

Last edited:

Al

Reaper
Jun 21, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/xfn2P.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/GuD1c.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/2O7gu.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/jVPgA.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/enFq8.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/2WUvi.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/F41ND.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://i.imgur.com/fxgij.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
And make sure you use the right spells. Not all spells (such as Shock) will be able to stagger an opponent. Also, if you're using Fireball, if you want to stagger someone with it, you HAVE to hit an opponent directly with it. The AoE will not affect him. :rolleyes:
This is the first Elder Scrolls game I'll have dabbled in. Got it for Christmas and just installed last night. Without any prior experience or research I decided on a dark elf for the sole reason of fire resistance. I figured, where there are dragons, there will be fire.

Any general tips for someone new to the series?
If you're going to use magic, make sure you have a failsafe skill you can fall back on when you run out of Magika. It's probably obvious but I would definitely recommend the one-handed skill and its associated weapons.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
And make sure you use the right spells. Not all spells (such as Shock) will be able to stagger an opponent. Also, if you're using Fireball, if you want to stagger someone with it, you HAVE to hit an opponent directly with it. The AoE will not affect him. :rolleyes:

Shock can totally stagger enemies when dualcast.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Use tilde (~) to bring up the console. Type 'tm' to hide the interface. Press F12 to take your screenshot (assuming you have Steam overlay running, I am not sure what the default SS key is in Skyrim). Type 'tm' again to bring the interface back. You won't be able to see the interface when you do this. You could probably also bind a key to do that if you have a programmable keyboard or a key macro program.