OnLive [gaming standardisation attempt]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Perlman sort of reminds me of Reign...

:) 11:10 he scrolls through all the available games... one isn't. Guess which :)

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Just watched it all the way trough 35 minutes or so.

I just find it a bit dissapointing how they only mention publishers when it comes to games as if they were developers. A lot of people are aware of this, but not that many. Like everyone will know Crysis was "made" by EA. No, it was made by CryTek. Other than that all the streaming windows during the Main menu is quite a nice deal, also the last minutes your friends played.

I definitively see this service work for casual low end pc users.
Gamers/devs stick to local though.

Last edited:

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
According to the presentation ("Data centers only on east and west coast of US, and one coming up in the midwest"), nobody here thinks this will be only for residents of the USA? I think it will, for the time being.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
According to the presentation ("Data centers only on east and west coast of US, and one coming up in the midwest"), nobody here thinks this will be only for residents of the USA? I think it will, for the time being.

Yeah, probably until they get servers elsewhere in Canada.
They'll have to see it success before spending into that.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I just find it a bit dissapointing how they only mention publishers when it comes to games as if they were developers. A lot of people are aware of this, but not that many. Like everyone will know Crysis was "made" by EA. No, it was made by CryTek.

Yeah, but it's really just a business thing. The developers don't get to say who licenses their game/for how much, the publisher does. These guys aren't gamers who are excited about games that can be played, they're businessmen excited about properties that can make money.

Oh, and U.S. folks can sign up for the beta if they're lucky.

~Jason

Big-Al

amateur de bière
Jun 14, 2003
Under a black flag.
www.ttrgame.com
"i'm not interested", half the fun of gaming is that i's running on my finely tuned hardware

still, a lot of "rich kids" will wanna stick to their awesome consoles anyway just cos they are rich and wanna show off

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
What, no one remembers this?

http://www.unseen64.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/phantom_console_lg_2.jpg

File me under "will believe it when sees it".
Exactly my thoughts.
This sounds too good to be true.

And even if it is 'possible' ... the mention of 'only popular titles' makes me wonder what will happen to the 'non-popular' titles. I also get the distinct impression that it'll be more like 'biggest bribes by publisher/developer'.

While it may be possible for mobile phone-games to fake games by transmitting screenshots I doubt it will be fast enough for something like Crysis or UT3. Something like that laserdisc-game (Dragonquest ?) might be the only thing that works.

Heck .. remote desktop already has serious issues trying to display anything even remotely 'real-time' in a lan-environment. I doubt something as unreliable as 'the internet' will work.

I think we can be pretty sure that even if this is real it will be a US-only service, because there's no such thing as movie- or music-rental for those in the rest of the world (excluding an empty iTunes-store that is).

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
I don't like the idea. Not the entire idea. Just way they charge.

If I get a hair cut.. I dont want to pay an additional fee so I can continue to enjoy my short hair.

If I purchase a Car, I dont want to pay an additional monthly fee so I can continue to drive it. Gas, Insurance, and repair costs isnt enough?

If I buy a game, I do not want to pay a monthly fee to enjoy something I have already paid for.

If your going to charge me month to month to play a game, you better make the game and the hardware FREE!

^^^
Obviously the cost of doing biz and gaining the onLive benefits

The concept is cool. We shall see.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I was thinking about this earlier, and while the ShackNews hands on preview proves this is not a very good idea over the internet, can you imagine an application that would allow you to do this on your home network?

I have a laptop that has poop for graphics, but plenty of processing power. Can you imagine if you could p[lay games on your laptop from your SUPER AWESOME GAMING MACHINE over wifi or just local network? That would be a much cooler application of this idea, imo.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I have a laptop that has poop for graphics, but plenty of processing power. Can you imagine if you could p[lay games on your laptop from your SUPER AWESOME GAMING MACHINE over wifi or just local network? That would be a much cooler application of this idea, imo.

Centralized processing would be an excellent idea. Just imagine, all you need is one computer with all the required hardware in it and be able to play anywhere with just a screen, keyboard, mouse and a small wireless device as an interface.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
After watching the video I think this will be great for the casual gamer. The hardcore gamer will not be pleased at all. I don't think the US is wired well enough for this to be accepted on a massive scale. Most people will not live near one of the processing hubs. People complain enough about their ping online as it is.

If the technology takes off and onLive does well, there is no doubt that more processing hubs will show up to address the problems.

I think the price for this service will be about $10-30 a month + a reduced game price. I'm willing to give it a go if the price is right.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'd be shocked if they were able to negotiate lower prices for games. Right now, though, it looks like they are planning on having it be a rental service more than actually buying games. Bad business models all around.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I was thinking about this earlier, and while the ShackNews hands on preview proves this is not a very good idea over the internet, can you imagine an application that would allow you to do this on your home network?

Like Terminal Server for home-environment optimized for games (with high-end) graphics?
I think a lan is the only environment that could handle it, but you still would have to use 1 Gbit network to get the most out of it.

// ---
If it is a rental-service then they better give away the hardware required.
Then again ... too many people have already proven that they are willing to pay premium prices for mere rental as evidenced by iTunes, Xbox Live!, Steam, etc.