The Next Unreal Tournament will be Great

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
Given that Epic use the Unreal Engine 3 or a derivative there of, like an updated version of it. Basically no time wasted on making the engine run on all sorts of systems. Only focusing on essential and important parts. This is based on what a success UT2k4 became after the franchise was reinvented from UT2k3.

• Epic will include and polish the existing maps and models.
  • Even more maps and gametypes will be included, doubling their number and size.
  • Fully configurable with a multitude of game and server options.
  • Enabling all sorts of custom editing around and inside the game.
Just allow me to dream a little while longer.

Make a wish, Epic will probably grant it, if you make it a really good one.

Let's reason some more. Once Epic is fully acquainted with their latest engine there will be lots of room for improvements just as UT2k4 did for UT2k3.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I'd like to see the UT franchise to return to it's awesome UT1 roots.

Not a freaky and absurd freak show like UT2003/4 or a fatty demo guy GoW type UT3 anymore...

...but a depressively bloody future gladiator combat sport, with normal looking top notch human athlets and lots of awesomeness. All this using UE3.

That would be my dream.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Given that Epic use the Unreal Engine 3 or a derivative there of, like an updated version of it. Basically no time wasted on making the engine run on all sorts of systems. Only focusing on essential and important parts. This is based on what a success UT2k4 became after the franchise was reinvented from UT2k3.

• Epic will include and polish the existing maps and models.
  • Even more maps and gametypes will be included, doubling their number and size.
  • Fully configurable with a multitude of game and server options.
  • Enabling all sorts of custom editing around and inside the game.
Just allow me to dream a little while longer.

Make a wish, Epic will probably grant it, if you make it a really good one.

Let's reason some more. Once Epic is fully acquainted with their latest engine there will be lots of room for improvements just as UT2k4 did for UT2k3.

Or as UT1 did to Unreal. D:

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
They will probably save a new UI and some new gametypes for another commercial release.

I remember I payed top dollars for my collector's edition. Maybe I won't be as eager the next time around, but I still think the next Unreal Tournament will be great.

Perhaps Epic did a strategical mistake releasing Unreal Engine 3 as Unreal Tournament 3 instead of Unreal 3. If they made a real nice singleplayer game first, there would have been lots of stringent critic to make an excellent arena type shooter out of it as Unreal Tournament 3 deserves to be.

Someone mentioned before that they also released Unreal before they did Unreal Tournament and that was a very clever move.

Id Software didn't make a singleplayer game named Quake 3, they just did the multiplayer part calling it Quake 3 Arena, but it did work because most people play together anyway.

I don't know if it's possible to mod the game to include all the features we are talking about here, but it should be. Someone should make a mod turning UT3 into what most people want, something more fancy looking than UWindows, but with all the useful settings available.

A simple Assault gametype shouldn't be that hard to put together codevise. Enabling all mappers in our community to make their own Assault maps. Bombing run the same way, just a Bomb and a Bomb Launcher model with some code wrapped around. Could have been so easy for the designers and creators of UT3 to make with just a plain demonstration map. Bombing Run, Domination and Assault unlockable from ini-files or by publishing them through the editor. We just want the basic stuff, like the framework, then the enthusiasts can make their own maps.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
the problem with assault isn't in the code ... it's in creating good maps for a broken gametype.
Ever wondered why the majority of community-maps for assault were race-type maps ?

it did work because most people play together anyway.
no it did work because it was new and the only competitor was UT.
Now there's tons of on-line mp games so you need something that's unique but not too unique.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I actually didn't play much of it at all. Only the regular maps, to get through the ladder.

Functional maps can't be made by users? That's an issue if so. Did that go for UT as well?

My framework argument for bombing run and domination is still valid. If assault can be made functional for custom maps then we would like to have that at our disposal also.

It's simple to do the necessary stuff, but it should be up to Epic to design and implement it in the game. I guess that would take too much time after all, but it would have made a lot of people very happy. On the other hand forming a team to put that together later on is inefficient and unpaid work. If they put more effort into the game like that they rather go for a complete release they can sell as whole.

Is the lesson that customers only should buy every second game in the series? First comes the new technology, the engine, then comes the smallframe version game and after that comes the final big game for that engine. Repeating the same procedure for every engine. UT3 is merely a beta version of a huge game to come.

Another question that just popped out of my mind. Did Unreal and UT2k3 have fundamental issues that made it impossible to make some modifications?

How many other games are released as expansions? We have Doom and Doom II, adding a shotgun along with some fancier maps. Quake and Quake II, just refining the engine a bit, adding a completely new style with high-tech Strogg. Quake III and it's expansion with teamplay. Return to Castle Wolfenstein as a tribute to the classic game and also later on with a free multiplayer standalone game. Doom 3 and it's expansion, again another shotgun and some more slick stuff. Quake 4 was outsourced so no more there, just like Unreal II. Quake Wars did eventually come as a massive multiplayer spin-off still based on the same engine but not really an expansion or even a singleplayer game or is it? Must play that again some day.

Would you buy an UT3 Assault Booster Pack for $15 if it enables you to play Assault?
Would you buy an UT3 Boming Run Booster Pack for $15 if it enables you to play Bombing run?
Would you buy an UT3 Domination Booster Pack for $15 if it enables you to play Domination?

Epic probably decided that keeping up with yearly releases like a soccer game was too much boring work and not very satisfying for anyone at all selling the same stuff over and over again. When Unreal evolves the game change completely. New maps are expected, new gametypes and weapons even. Models, engine, technology, computers, fan base, everything. If the game involved competitions and huge audience with sports gambling and well payed players, how much difference could that really make?

Last edited:

Snaps_Provolone

Part Time Retard
Sep 14, 2008
United States
Would you buy an UT3 Assault Booster Pack for $15 if it enables you to play Assault?
Would you buy an UT3 Boming Run Booster Pack for $15 if it enables you to play Bombing run?
Would you buy an UT3 Domination Booster Pack for $15 if it enables you to play Domination?
No. I paid $20 for UT3 and considered that a waste of money. Shouldn't throw good money after bad...

I do agree with the UT series returning to it's UT1 roots using the newer engine. More focus on game play and level creation. For me to justify buying the next version of UT I would need to see some improvement in these areas.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I paid nearly $100 for my version, paid equally much for the previous game. Probably the only game I ever pay release date price for. All other games I wait over half a year for prices to drop. I know they are going down, and there are always "new" games out there recently coming to the reasonable price level. There is always something to play either way.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
No. I paid $20 for UT3 and considered that a waste of money. Shouldn't throw good money after bad...

I do agree with the UT series returning to it's UT1 roots using the newer engine. More focus on game play and level creation. For me to justify buying the next version of UT I would need to see some improvement in these areas.
Oh my lands, I hope you are joking.

UT3 HAS MORE FOCUS ON GAMEPLAY AND LEVEL CREATION :shake: Why the crap do you think the UI is "lacking"? They spent no time there!

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Oh my lands, I hope you are joking.

UT3 HAS MORE FOCUS ON GAMEPLAY AND LEVEL CREATION :shake: Why the crap do you think the UI is "lacking"? They spent no time there!
Some people are thick, Brizz. Really. :p

I spent $60 on UT3. And I don't regret it for a second. What I DO regret is that people are so shortsighted that they can't forgive the game's flaws and just play the damn thing. Because underneath the niggling issues and sticking points is still a damn solid game.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Some people are thick, Brizz. Really. :p

I spent $60 on UT3. And I don't regret it for a second. What I DO regret is that people are so shortsighted that they can't forgive the game's flaws and just play the damn thing. Because underneath the niggling issues and sticking points is still a damn solid game.

Har har you said niggling

jasposfagot

My opinion is My opinion, Yours is Yours
May 22, 2005
Why the crap do you think the UI is "lacking"? They spent no time there!

I lol'ed

Wrong, but don't feel bad, let me console you

people are so shortsighted that they can't forgive the game's flaws and just play the damn thing. Because underneath the niggling issues and sticking points is still a damn solid game.

So your the type of person, whom upon entering the night club, and seeing an absolutely gorgeous girl on his left, and an absolutely horrid looking, wart covered, crooked nosed, lop sided smile, toothless, hairy girl on the right, is attracted to the later, because underneath the niggling issues and sticking points, she's a damn fine person.

Yeah right.

It's human nature, first impressions and all that, if you don't make a good first impression, half the battle is lost, UT3, bad demo, and the first thing you see when you enter the game IS the UI. Not that I don't agree with you on the game being quite good, it is an absolute beauty (contrary to what some may think I would think, I actually think UT3 is one of the best, if not), it's just let down by the fact that it failed on first impressions (among other things) for most people, and therefore next to nobody plays it, and for a primarily online game, well, that spells disaster.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I lol'ed

Wrong, but don't feel bad, let me console you
Wrong. But don't feel bad, let me probe you. :rolleyes:
So your the type of person, whom upon entering the night club, and seeing an absolutely gorgeous girl on his left, and an absolutely horrid looking, wart covered, crooked nosed, lop sided smile, toothless, hairy girl on the right, is attracted to the later, because underneath the niggling issues and sticking points, she's a damn fine person.
What the fail? This is more like walking into a club and seeing a hot chick that is totally not interested in you on your right and a totally hot girl that is so into you on your left, and after going with the girl on your left you find out she is gassy. What nobody is talking about is that the girl on your right had warts on her feet.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
What the fail? This is more like walking into a club and seeing a hot chick that is totally not interested in you on your right and a totally hot girl that is so into you on your left, and after going with the girl on your left you find out she is gassy. What nobody is talking about is that the girl on your right had warts on her feet.
And let's face it, even girls fart. :p

Last edited: