UT99 Remake Maplist

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CPTStewart

May 10, 2008
I'd like to be the first one that says - from the pics, it looks a lot better than mine! (I was intentially going for a more oldschool look though ;))

I tried yours out sneh. I loved the oldschool look to it but it was a little cramped and since I loved the level so much in the first UT I wanted to try my hand at a remake.

I actually only started it two days ago and got like 16 hours of work in because I was enjoying it so much :D

Akira Kurosawa

Aug 13, 2008
Liandri Mining Facility: ***
I actually only started it two days ago and got like 16 hours of work in because I was enjoying it so much :D

Well it looks pretty good, the lighting is very bland, no visual effects that I noticed (why do most mappers hate them!? jk. :p) The space scape needs major work though. The crates look a little over scaled too. The sides in the lower section are barren.

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
1. The one with 865 DLs (DM-Liandri-Classic) says this in the text file:
"BETA 1 Release Date: January 18, 2008
Version: FULL v1.00"
>> files in the compressed download show a 2-14-08 date.
This one also shows this at the top of the text file:
"DM-LiandriClassic - FULL version: 1.0
Deathmatch map for Unreal Tournament 3
Based on the good old DM-Liandri, but with a Classic Old School BSP Only style"

The one with 1,165 DLs (DM-Liandri) says this in the text file:
"BETA 1 Release Date: December 30, 2007
BETA 2 Release Date: January 05, 2008
BETA 3 Release Date: January 10, 2008
BETA 4 Release Date: January 11, 2008
BETA 5 Release Date: January 13, 2008
BETA 6 Release Date: January 14, 2008
BETA 7 Release Date: January 18, 2008
FINAL VERSION Rlease Date: January 24, 2008
Version: FINAL"
>> files in the compressed download show a 1-24-08 date.
This one shows this at the top of the text file and I believe this is the one referenced in this thread to the epicgames thread:
"DM-Liandri - FINAL version:
Deathmatch map for Unreal Tournament 3
Based on the good old DM-Liandri"

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...............ok, nevermind, I think I may have figured it out with added comments discovered near the top of the text files. It seems the first one I referenced included classic BSP and the other one does not. This other one (DM-Liandri) I believe is the latest one of the one referenced in this thread.

pretty sure that i just screwed it up with the readme. both files are final, just different

CPTStewart

May 10, 2008
Well it looks pretty good, the lighting is very bland, no visual effects that I noticed (why do most mappers hate them!? jk. :p) The space scape needs major work though. The crates look a little over scaled too. The sides in the lower section are barren.

Yeah the space does look really boring and I haven't decorated the little parts where the rocket launcher and rocket ammo are. I still haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to do with them.

I don't have a lot of mapping experience so I don't know too much about all of the things I can do (just yesterday figured out how to mess with the post processing settings...) plus I'm not a very artistic person (going to school for coding :p) but I really enjoy mapping so I hope I can get better at it as I go.

Last edited:

Akira Kurosawa

Aug 13, 2008
I don't have a lot of mapping experience so I don't know too much about all of the things I can do (just yesterday figured out how to mess with the post processing settings...) plus I'm not a very artistic person (going to school for coding :p) but I really enjoy mapping so I hope I can get better at it as I go.

Don't worry you'll get better the more you work at it.
As far as artistic, not always needed. But in general you should find someone to give you concepts that you can bring into reality and brain storm with.

Honestly the UT modding community has always amazed me with how solo most modders are, hardly any teams or pairs. Which is why I think most maps are subpar.

Anyways also with the space scene, like in the shield hall. You can tell it is only like a meter away. No illusion what so ever, you can even see the borders.

Last edited:

CPTStewart

May 10, 2008
Anyways also with the space scene, like in the shield hall. You can tell it is only like a meter away. No illusion what so ever, you can even see the borders.

Thing is... I started out the map as a subtractive, which makes it difficult to do space around the outside of the ship so I just stuck some extra subtractive boxes down there to put stars in, but I've since reworked it into an additive level.

I added a box just about the size of the ship and pasted all of my work so far into that box so now I can make the space a lot easier. The next version will definitely be better than the current version.

I'll be making a copy of the map and re-lighting the whole thing maybe 2 more times to get a better look and I'll make the space flying by outside and it'll be awesome :p

Lungri

Jun 10, 2008
Where's the ripper mod? Someone should bring that back...A lot of those UT99 maps were really great because of their weapons...6-shot launcher made grenades cover an area, etc etc, and the ripper was their cleverest weapon.

Akira Kurosawa

Aug 13, 2008
I'll be making a copy of the map and re-lighting the whole thing maybe 2 more times to get a better look and I'll make the space flying by outside and it'll be awesome :p
Sounds good. :D

Where's the ripper mod? Someone should bring that back...
There is a ripper mod, but I have been considering massively revising the list.
With anything that's a remake of an earlier unreal title for UT3. (It'd be organized of course.)

CPTStewart

May 10, 2008
New update released for my Oblivion remake.

UTForums Beta Thread

I added a bunch of sounds and lights and details and things. I also changed one of the boxes to a broken hellbender and some smaller boxes to mix things up a bit.

No music yet though, still haven't looked through it all to find a good one. Next release will have it though.

One thing to note while playing:

The little wall thing in the middle of the room at the top (the one with that connects the box place to the shock place) has a hole in the middle of it that you can launch rocket grenades or flak alt-fire shells through. If you do it right you can hit just inside of the shock room. I was gonna fill the hole with another mesh but decided I liked being able to shoot through it just for the hell of it :mwink:

Akira Kurosawa

Aug 13, 2008
No music yet though, still haven't looked through it all to find a good one. Next release will have it though.
Use the original, or a redux of the original. : )

Good to see major progress, congrats. I'll try this as soon as I can, as well as update the list.
Looks good as far as screen shots go, the crates are still bleh...
Also I personally think it needs more props like crates/barrles than the original.
Always saw it as a privateer cargo ship.

Also cram it full of visual effects. :p (hardly any do, but the ones that do always kickass)

CPTStewart

May 10, 2008
A couple new in-editor shots of some of the changes I made to the cargo room in DM-Oblivion. Click on 'em for the bigger versions.

Now you can see when someone is picking up the flak cannon.

You can also see some of the other crates and other structural items I used to fill up some more space. A ton more stuff is going to be stuck in around the outside of the room to make it feel more like a storage area but I figured I'd get the main part of the playing area out of the way first.

The crane carrying an ion cannon... Totally awesome.

CPTStewart

May 10, 2008
I might be interested in hosting a bunch of these if I can scrounge up some cash to pay for a server (don't have an extra computer to do it on...) but I need to know that the demand is there. I don't want to be paying like $15 a month for 2 people to play on it.

If enough people are interested maybe I can get something set up...

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Akira Kurosawa said:
Orbital (Orbital Station 12) Remake by NEcRo-

That map is not based on the UT99 version of orbital, but the Ut2004 version, so I think you should remove it from your list.

Also, this version of Morbias kicks the crap out of the epics version imo.

CPTStewart

May 10, 2008
Well I've finished off the cargo room:

http://www.oddmanoutstudios.net/GameStuff/Screenshots/DM-Oblivion3/Beta 3/1.jpg
http://www.oddmanoutstudios.net/GameStuff/Screenshots/DM-Oblivion3/Beta 3/2.jpg

And I added some more in the space around the ship. You can see the giant metal structure in this last shot. It rotates and looks cool :lol:

http://www.oddmanoutstudios.net/GameStuff/Screenshots/DM-Oblivion3/Beta 3/3.jpg

EDIT: Some more details...

I added some fog in the downstairs part (along with a few air vents to blow it around) and changed up a little bit of lighting.
The thrusters in the back are now actually doing something, 3 of them on and working (blue coming out) and the other has a leak. You can see some air and gas spilling out of it.

A few more touches and I should have Beta 3 out the door. Hopefully that'll be either today or tomorrow.

Last edited: