What more does UT want of me???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
System Specs:
PIII 500@ 575
Asus P3Bf M/B Bx chipset
FSB 115
256 pc100 (133 would let me go higher)
AGP Apurture 256
TnT ultra uncooked
Nivida 3.68 drivers
Win 98
Virtual mem. windows handles that..
this is on an old PIO mode 4 hard drive
on an ultra 33 or 66 things would run alittle faster.
4.13 patch
D3d Driver that came out AFTER 4.13 listed on epics D/L page(not the one in 4.13)
No cd crack(yes 2 versions running)
cleaned out startup so I have 94% system resources free

Video card properties: just important ones
Direct3d settings
checked enable Fog table enulation
checked Adjest z buffer depth to ren. depth
Mipmapping:
Autogenerate 12 mip levels
Auto mip Bilinear
mip level High performance
More 3D:
unChecked Disable V-sync

Timedemo on cityIntro Run 3 times (seems some people are having questions on timedemo.
Start Ut hit~key=console type in timedemo 1 <enter> close console ~key let demo run though 3 times open console ~key Avg scores will be listed for you..)
Min.......Max......AVG scores
On face i can look at some walls and get over 225 fps.On most games I seldom go lower then 55fps no matter how much blood and gore are flying.In games don`t look at average look at last second is more reliable. Avg lags behind last second.

Settings:
Preferences in Gui
Direct3d
res 800x600
Color depth 16
world texture med
skin detail med
show decals unchecked
use Dynamic lighting unchecked
weapon hidden
showing on Hud:
kills
weapons
ammo
flag colors
shield
life
Hud size 1 click from left next to smallest size.

Advanced Preferences:
Game eng settings 64megs

Audio:
effects 16
rate 22050Hz<lower more FPS
cdmusic false
Diq music false
direct sound true
filter true
reverb true
stereo true
surrond false

Display:
curved surfaces false
decals false
nodynamic lights true
nofractal anim false<true higher fps
nolighting false
particle dens. 0
screen flashes true
skin detail med
texture detail med
directdraw true

Rendering:
Coronas false
desc flags 9 def setting
detailtextures true
high det. actor false
shiny surfaces true
use local textures true
use mipmapping true
use multitexture true
use palettes true
use precache true
use trilinear False
use triplebuffer true
use Vid memory true
use V-sync true
Volmetric lighting false

Rooster asked me to post my setup on here seems some questions are being asked. I will not be held responsable if you use any of my settings and your puter goes boom boom...These are for reference only. They are what i use and Ut runs sweet no crashes.
If I O/C my tnt I can add 4-5 fps easy just don`t like cooking a vid card.I know you Guys and Gals with a geforce should see 5 to 10 fps higher the what i can get.Borrowed one for a couple of days and had it running 70fps easy after tweeking on cityintro demo.
Keep having to edit this because I keep finding things I`ve tweeked to add...

bullet2.gif

He Shoots..He Scores..He gets shot in the back.
new ingame name VaShooter{PuF}

[This message has been edited by VaShooter (edited 04-11-2000).]

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
Can`t let this get buried after all the work I went though putting this reply together last night....

bullet2.gif

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Heh.. yeah, I would have missed it.

The thing is.. what good is 60fps if it's butt ugly? Ya gotta have the lighting and decals - that's half the beauty of it. And try High world detail - Face is hideous with medium detail. As well, High Detail Actors=false is REALLY bad. The least you should do is turn this back to true. And turn on your dynamic lighting - you'll be much more effective ranging combos.

But, if you're happy (but I think you may be in the category of "don't know what you're missing"), that's fine.

You're incorrect about which you should look at though - avg or last sec. Last second is just that. If you were looking at a wall last second, yeah, it's going to be high - but it's not a true indicator of how well your CPU/Video card is doing. Average is what it's all about.

bullet2.gif

Map Reviewer for Capture

[This message has been edited by Rooster (edited 04-12-2000).]

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
BUTT UGLY????????
Come on Roos, the difference between med detail actors and high detail isn`t that much, And the last time I tried to admire another players looks I got my AXX handed to me. Some of your points are taken but not everybody can run a 750 or so. So therefor we must make adjustments to be able to maintain decent frame rates. Since I don`t combo the lighting is fine sniping works great. I thought you were asking me to post all my spec`s on here to be of assistance to others in turn I get cratiqued(I doubt its spelled right its late and i just don`t care.........)

bullet2.gif

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Whoa.. hey.. slow down. I've tested some of those settings - and IMO - it makes the game pretty ugly.

I wasn't harpin' on you. I think what you've got going for your hardware is great! (FPS wise)

I just think you could turn up the detail or little tid-bits here and there and still have great frame rates but enjoy the looks a little more (dynamic lighting is one of the biggest plusses in my book).

But what I was originally looking for was the System, and (standard) UT settings. Ones that are available through the normal UT GUI. Now, in the case of your system - to get that high a frame rate - you REALLY do need to go into the ini or preferences from console to tweak it to that level. So, your info is good if people need to see it.

Please don't take offense at what I said - none was intended.

bullet2.gif

Map Reviewer for Capture

VaShooter

The Ol`e man is back
Jan 25, 2000
Chesapeake VA
Visit site
Accepted...

At first I did play with all the settings at default and was running if my memory serves correctly in the 30-38 fps range. But I learned one of the most important things with any fps(first person shooter) is frame rate. The higher the frame rate the more accurate your shots and also the easier it is to follow and judge your opponents actions. While most Ladies and Gents playing nowadays are in there early teens to early thirties with great reflexes and eagle eyesight it puts old farts like me at a disadvantage. So therefor any little tweek that can be done to help even out the battle field is much needed. I would love to be able to run 60fps with all the eyecandy set to high, but I really don`t want to get caught up in the upgrade game. There are enough people doing that allready.
Truthfully your reply did strike a nerve, I posted my spec`s not trying to show off but as a way of assisting others with lesser machines with,what they could tweek to allow higher frame rates.
So in a gentlemenly manner lets say we agree that we disagree on this one and get back to the job at hand, that being trying to assist others in playing this game to the best of their abilities.

bullet2.gif