who here thinks ut99 was the best ut?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Vigil

Jan 20, 2008
The trouble is that if you try to get back into UT99 now, all the servers are running weird mods that have become popular over the years, and there are hardly any vanilla servers like wot there used to be. And you can't find a CTF server that isn't IG!

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
The trouble is that if you try to get back into UT99 now, all the servers are running weird mods that have become popular over the years, and there are hardly any vanilla servers like wot there used to be. And you can't find a CTF server that isn't IG!

That's why Epic created bots.

PATOS

Feb 5, 2010
I think most know the game's name is Unreal Tournament, a.k.a back in the day UT for short. Present day if someone says UT99 they "mean" Unreal Tournament, aka UT, merely as a reference for people who may not know Unreal Tournament's progression of games over the years.

Of course most, if not all, members here know 1999 was when UT came out, thus it's frequently used UT99 reference now. :)

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
I think most know the game's name is Unreal Tournament, a.k.a back in the day UT for short. Present day if someone says UT99 they "mean" Unreal Tournament, aka UT, merely as a reference for people who may not know Unreal Tournament's progression of games over the years.

Of course most, if not all, members here know 1999 was when UT came out, thus it's frequently used UT99 reference now. :)

:(

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Unreal Tournament (the first).

Why they ( Epic ) took a different direction when they made UT2003 is still a mystery. Many believe it was the wrong direction.
Same here, the UT1 concept of a bloody combat sport was flawless, it needed to be expanded on, but no, they had to turn it into nightmare disneyland. Everything about UT2003 felt wrong.
UT3? Never played it.

brdempsey69

Original UT Owns !!
Jun 19, 2003
Visit site

Same here, the UT1 concept of a bloody combat sport was flawless, it needed to be expanded on, but no, they had to turn it into nightmare disneyland. Everything about UT2003 felt wrong.
UT3? Never played it.

That's exactly what I thought, was why did they sweep everything under the rug regarding original UT instead of expanding on it when they did UT2003? They could have added a lot of the stuff that was in UT2003 to UT, including the player characters. Here's one that I added to UT with Milkshape 3D. It's Widowmaker.

[screenshot]http://www.brdempsey69.com/widow.jpg[/screenshot]

As you can see, at least he's holding his weapon correctly, something he & the other Mech characters in UT2003/2004 didn't do.

My point is if they had expanded on it like you suggested, Psychomorph, I really believe it would have been better for the series, as we have seen where it's gone since then.

Last edited:

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009

UT3? Never played it.

I only played 2003 a moment before ditching it. It felt more like Quake3 than classic UT, and I hate how Q3 feels.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Nightmare disneyland, haha, good one.
I still remember those strange looking races from UT2k3/4 I was like wtf (I liked the Liandri robots though). Nothing wrong with the UT3 guys, just a bit too heavy-looking; but Lauren's mercenaries? Perfect.

FrankoManno

UT is not dead, it just smells funny
Feb 18, 2010
US
Original UT gameplay/scaling/fun factor the best.

I think Epic was pressured by console success to change UT into a 'safer' game for a wider age group, the sissies.

The contributions of user maps/models/skins/voicepacks for UT, the range of characters was better - the newer versions the armor is too extreme IMO.

Only play UT vs bots now and then, but never even think of reinstalling ut2004 or utIII.

Always seemed to be something missing from later versions. They seem too 'corporate' even for Liandri.

Last edited:

Ghoulz

Feb 7, 2009
I doubt you'll ever find such sheer randomness, craziness, and customability for the newer ones. You can almost do whatever your imagination is cooking up on UT99.

The new ones all feel like some bland console shooter meant to please 12 year olds who get excited over anything. No personality whatsoever.

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Add me to the pool of people who think UT99 is the best. UT 2004 was good, too, in its own right but for different game types--Onslaught and Invasion.

You can still play regular weapons UT99 CTF online! Visit my mapper website to see a list of four servers that are sometimes populated and also to learn about UT99 CTF PUG matches. I have Gametracker tabs for those four servers, so you can see whether or not there's any activity on them.

http://whippersnapper.unrealmaps.net

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
DARN YOU ALL FOR BEING ABLE TO RUN YOUR OWN SERVERS! My internet connection won't tolerate such nonsense. I can't even play a normal match without my shots lagging for a full second! :(

Ah, but I didn't come here to whine about my connection. UT99 is just... better compared to even UT2004. I think that the customization, music, and the weapons were what made the original shine above the rest. That and the excellent mods and maps available for it. UT2004 seemed to try to take itself too seriously overall if you catch my meaning. It also seemed like it was more about competition then for fun and that was what made it pale in comparison to the original UT. I haven't played UT3 yet, though, as I don't have any new consoles or the computer hardware required to run it.

Last edited: