UT & GeForce 256 problems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

woodenjarjar

Apr 28, 2000
cincinnati ohio usa
Visit site
this is my system
CT6971 (creative made board,annialator pro)

System Information
System CPU : Intel Pentium II
System Memory : 192 MB
Microsoft Windows 98

Display Hardware Information
Processor : GeForce 256 Pro
Memory Type : DDR SGRAM
Memory Size : 32 MB
BIOS Version : 2.10
DAC Type : Integrated RAMDAC

Display Software Information
Display Driver : 3dbgfw9x.drv(v4.12.01.2204.02.0353)
Device Driver : nvmini.vxd(v4.12.01.0353)
Registry Key : Display\\0001
BlasterControl Version 3.0
sound blaster live x-gamer
d3d.dll version 6
vd133 mobo
10 gig maxtor hd

Comments / Problems :
won't run in d3d and only getting 19 fps in opengl(really dark too).set according to tweak3d,bios and ut advances. ant help could do.

P

Psychomoggiebagpuss

I've got virtually the same setup, a CT6971, P3 800mhz, WIn98, 256 meg ram.

I just reinstalled windows recently so I know exactly what I did :)

Install Nvidia Reference drivers v5.16 (fromm http://www.reactorcritical.com )
Install Directx v7A.
Install UT
Install patch v413
Replace d3ddrv.dll in the ut\system directory with the one from the v405B patch.

From unrealtournament.ini file in system directory

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=True
Coronas=True
HighDetailActors=True
UseMipmapping=True
UseTrilinear=False
UseMultitexture=True
UsePageFlipping=True
UsePalettes=True
UseFullscreen=True
UseGammaCorrection=True
DetailTextures=True
Use3dfx=False
UseTripleBuffering=True
UsePrecache=True
Use32BitTextures=True
DescFlags=1
dwDeviceId=257
dwVendorId=4318
UseVideoMemoryVB=False
UseVSync=False
Description=NVIDIA GeForce DDR

Try setting volumeticlighting to False for an increase in fps. You should have enough to spare though :)
Increasing cache size helps as well.
Again (in the same file) goto CacheSizeMegs and set it to 1/4 of your total ram, so in your case it would be 48, i.e.

[Engine.GameEngine]
CacheSizeMegs=48

I'm running in 32bit.
To get 32bit to work set desktopdisplay depth to 32bit.
Go into the properties of the Geforce and go into d3d properties. (Display settings (control panel)->Advanced->GeForceDDR->Additional properties->Direct 3D settings.)

Under "Performance and Capability Options" make sure only "Adjust z-buffer to bit depth" is ticked.
(Before I did that UT either crashed or ran windowed not full screen in 32bit, 16 bit worked fine)

->More Direct 3D

Tick "Disable Vertical Sync" and Render no more than 7 frames ahead.
Set PCI texture memory size = Half your total ram (shouldn't need this one, though for some reason I got a speed increase when doing this. I got it out of Christopher Hills GeForce Faq ).

You should now be able to flick between 32bit and 16bit from UT itself by just changing it in the video options menu.

If you ever have a problem where you go from a windowed UT to fullscreen and still have your mouse cursor in the center of the screen when playing, just press F5 to get rid of it.

If you want email me and I'll send you a copy of my unrealtournament.ini file and d3ddrv.dll.

Hope this was of use for you

pmb the CorrrupterOfNuns|PuF
Keeper of the Mystical Widget

bullet2.gif

psychomoggiebagpuss
AKA P.M.Bagpuss[PuF]
AKA Armadillo Dragon of the -=UDIC=-
Wielder of the Sacred Blackrock Baguette
"If there is anything bigger than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now"

[This message has been edited by Psychomoggiebagpuss (edited 05-15-2000).]

P

Psychomoggiebagpuss

Did this work?

bullet2.gif

psychomoggiebagpuss
AKA P.M.Bagpuss[PuF]
AKA Armadillo Dragon of the -=UDIC=-
Wielder of the Sacred Blackrock Baguette
"If there is anything bigger than my ego around here, I want it caught and shot now"

woodenjarjar

Apr 28, 2000
cincinnati ohio usa
Visit site
sorry it took so long to get back.the v133mobo had conflicks with the cl geforce,so i got a trinity 400 now.did everything and still only getting about 20-23 fps.you would think for $300.00 the geforce would rock!here is a new run down,
trinity 400 mobo
500mhz celery in a slocket(370 slot wont work,has both)
cl geforce 5.16 drivers(not overclocked)
cl soundblaster x-gamer live wire 3.0
win98 fresh install(after formating)
installed ut and 4.13 with d3d.dll from 4.05
scandisk then defraged
NOT USING THE NO-CD CRACK
ut takes forever to start,the graphics are great but the frame rate suxs.what options do you have your bios set to? i can change anything.shadow,aper,agp read and right,video cache,system cache,dram clock,memory hole,agp driving control and value,agp 4x mode and many more.tweak 3d didn't help.thanks

RedBeard

Mar 23, 2000
Grapevine, TX USA
Visit site
actually the geforce does rock. Why don't you try playing a game like q3a with everything maxed out?

Then you will see the power of the geforce.

-Red

BTW Psycho is right, put those *.dll files in your UT directory and you will be fine.

also, UT is slow with the geforce b/c epic uses d3d for it. (stupid)

sputnik

Nov 10, 1999
new orleans
Visit site
ok i was having the same probs as you. i tried everything and my geforce2 still sucked. well im not sure if you have a 133fsb on that mb but that was my whole problem. i bought an athlon700 with abit ka7 mb which uses a via133 chipset on the bus. this conflicts with the nvidia card. i installed win98, patched the agp crap with the file from the link below, then enabled 4x agp in my bios. compared to before with my ****ty 20 fps in ut, i now get 65-70 at 1024x768 with all the goodies cranked up and nothing overclocked. icq me 28986012 if you need any further help. http://www.reactorcritical.com/files/agp402.zip