Slowdown and Staticmeshes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

pseudosafari

Feb 16, 2004
I'm currently making a map (about DM-Asbestos size) where I want to line the walls on the lower levels with 3d bamboo. My approach so far has been to place individual bamboo stems along the walls but already the FPS in my map is dropping. Is there a way that I can still have a 3d wall texture and somehow reduce this slowdown?

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 37

sandorski

Sep 22, 1999
coquitlam, bc, Canada
Visit site
How many Polygons per Bamboo SMesh? How many SMeshes make up your Walls?

I think you might have to compromise on how the Walls are constructed. Rather than solid bamboo SMeshes, use a flat SMesh with Bamboo texture, then put enough bamboo SMeshes in front to give the impression of a solid bamboo wall.

Your Bamboo SMeshes also don't need to be cylinders(assuming they are from what I can see in pic), at least not complete cylinders. You could probably get away with Cubes with Normals Softening to give a rounded effect.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
The problem very likely lays in your individual bamboo sticks. If really every stick in that pic is a seperate mesh you got hundreds of meshes in view.
Each mesh is a sector. Each material is a sector.
The sector count has more influence on FPS than the actual polycount. You should try to combine some sticks so the bamboo stuff is made up of only a few large meshes. Attach sticks together.

pseudosafari

Feb 16, 2004
Thank you very much for the replies and advice. I simplified the mesh models slightly and made large bamboo sections into their own mesh - the map runs much smoother now. ^. ^