A few things that work well for me.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
This is for ut04, however in ut you are not forced to have staticmesh (obviously) docked.
By doing this (if you can figure out what I am saying down there) seems to make the editor NEVER crash, ut or ut04 and things load better.
I think it is real estate, the usage from windows pool of memory to open up a lot of windows on the screen.

First setup editor for 2 windows only top bottom.
Keep in mind I use the editor with the top and bottom window only, but if you want more reactivate the other ones like [U2Viewport3] [U2Viewport4] etc etc.
and mabye undock all in the editor first.(accept staticmesh browser).

goto the ini file, the editor one. this one .....UnrealEd.ini

For ut [U2Viewport0] and [U2Viewport1] leave these active (there is no docking line for these) also ALL the others set for 0 docking and 0 active.

In ut04 this [Static Mesh Browser] MUST stay docked and active

in the ini undock ALL and the and make ALL inactive accept the top 2 and staticmesh browser, youl see a 1 for active 0 for not.

Reload editor, goto vieport setup, make floating pick the layout of 1 top and bottom.
make so they don't float again.

restart the editor,
and disable auto save, well i never have autosave on because i dont want crap running in the background.

Also it will help a lot of things for the editor to not crash, there is NO NEED to have all that crap docked, accept the staticmesh browser(ut04), or editor will crash upon restarting it..

One last observation, for all the individual browsers, shrink down the window sizes by dragging the border, I aint sure about this but smaller windows could possibly relieve more of windows memory. (I don't mean less system ram, windows has separate memory reserved for "windows"

And a note, if any so called pro mapper says any different on the above,this has been hashed over many times on my system with tons of experimenting and I will not listen even if I was wrong,but i am not, all I ever get from those guys is how they gloat on how stupid we are.
I rarely see anyone being professional on the #unrealed chat channal, if they ever say anything, because all they seem to do is idle in chat,and then mock instead of guiding us less knowlegable mappers.or post a lame link to a help page rather than actually telling us.
So far Hourences has helped once, Rachel and Blitz were also very helpfull, but lately they must be busy so I give up going there for advice.

But yet on the other end,if some of those guys want to set us straight on certain issues, both ut and ut04 are still very welcome to add anything we should know,without posting a tutorial link.Doing that, is the same thing as having us figuring things out on our own.

Last edited:

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Another issue for bot pathing for ut04.

The code is set for bots to be above level 4 skilllevel to do lift jumps.
The earlier versions even stopped the bot from even using lifts at all, they must be set to "adept".
Considering this, I am assuming there may be many other functions that bots do wich are cut off, for ons or other map types and other bot functions throughout the game.
And please don't cotradict me here, I can post the code to prove this for the liftjump problem, wich is just plain stupid, bots should liftjump no matter wich skill level, hopefully they will fix this too on the next patch.

Last edited:

Cyrss

Nov 20, 2005
UK
I'm sorry,but I noticed the Botpathing thing above.

UT2k4 botpathing,I find,is more difficult than UNRed2.0 Botpathing and I found
the Staticmesh collision parameters (seem to) annoy Bot routes.

If youv'e Pathed your Bots and they ignore a route or (better word needed) spasm... making the StaticMesh,say the piping above the corridor,walkthroughable and False on pathblocking causes Bots to ignore the mesh and follow the path properly.I also add an invisible brush over the StaticMesh walkways and make the meshes collison zero which enables green paths (show paths) to appear.

I don't know if that could help Mappers and I am probrably in the wrong thread but well,something I learnt that can help.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Those static meshes have such bulky collision, so they get funky with collision, as much as I have fooled around with that type of problem.

Cyrss

Nov 20, 2005
UK
Yes,some default StaticMesh collision parameters seem way out (large) considering their use in map-making.I mean regarding the Botpathing...heh it took a while before I understood they could a be a Botpathing-type problem.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Ok who knows?

On my UT and even my UT04 "DM-3pole2k4" map, if you play it and watch the bots, why do they senslessly jump off the 4000 unit tall pillar, and no bot paths to the ground, they even jump as it looks with intent.

On my first map DM-pole waaaay back they did exactly the same thing nothing has changed in 4 years because the dang bots did the same dang thing for ut04.

You would have to download my map and watch the bots, and youl see them jump, I don't even think Sweeny or Epic would know.

I have asked repeatedly on ETG #unrealed but all I ever get is stupid comments, so who here can explain why that happens ?, both ut and 04.

Last edited:

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Try placing a sniper volume around the tops of the pillars, that may limit the bots motility in 2k4, or a SniperLocation Actor in Ut.. As to why? I could think of several stupid comments, but none that would be of any benefit.