*****How to stop abuse of aiming! (Waren, read please)*****

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

boxster

]3oXsTe]2
Aug 30, 2000
Ok, a lot of people have been saying, stuff like whats the point of NOT aiming. Where is the advantage of holding a weapon at your side, when you could be aiming it all the time?

Well, here it is. How long can you hold a heavy M16 up at your face? Not very long (1 minute straight I'm guessing...I've never held an M16 before).

How about this:

certain weapons you can hold in the aiming position longer than others.

Now that is realistic. I'm sure you can hold a berreta in the aiming position longer than an AKSMU.

Warren, what do you think about this?

porschelogo.gif

PORSCHE ßõX$†€®

Lance201

Jan 31, 2000
Germany
Visit site
m16 heavy???

I think it is possible to aim with this very light assault rifle (in relation to hk G3) a longer time but for a better view you will often bring down your weapon for a time.

LCPL TWENTY

daryl69

Jan 2, 2001
fds
thats stupid

if you always carry your weapon in the aiming position you (a) can not turn as quick cos ur gun must go to side of the screen first and (b) it can block ur view

Col.Sanders

Oct 12, 2000
Good point, but maybe it should be like running, just taking away a little "stamina" while you do it. I mean, a SWAT team is supposed to clear an entire house with guns at high ready, but you can't do it forever.

The M-4 wieghs 6 pounds, and the M-16a2 is 8. The MP5 is about 7. I can hold any of them to my cheek longer than I can hold a 2-pound Beretta out at eye-level.

On the other hand, this is a game, and the soldiers are supposed to be professionals. Maybe the Army has a rifle-holding exercise?

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
Besides, the only real difference in gun weight happens with the sniper rifles. You can definitely only hold those up for a limited time before you have to put them down (either that or not hold them steady enough for a shot). I'm assuming the ability to rest the rifle on a bipod or craddle it against a wall isn't available. You'd want to put the sniper rifle down anyway in order to see instead of stumbling around blindly with tunnel vision.

Tonail_of_Steel

Jan 2, 2001
mmmm...

Sounds like a smart idea, but it could hinder the gameplay. Yes, its super-realistic, but it would be super realistic having to aim a sniper rifle higher than your target at long distances, too, and in a fast paced game (as most shooters are,) that would get frustrating and wouldn't be as much fun. It should be a server-side option if it's going to be implemented.

There are three kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

shadowkil

Oct 19, 2000
Camp Lejeune, NC, USA
in rifle competitions, shooters use what's called natural point of aiming and support the rifle with their skeletal structure, not with muscles. once you get into a proper position, you can hold your rifle up for hours (well as long as you can stand still without fidgetting anyhow ;)) granted, in a combat scenario, you will not have a lot of time to find your natural point of aim, but i still don't think it should have too much of an affect on stamina. perhaps slowing down your maximum speed while aiming?

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
I agree that your muscles would get tired after awhile when aiming the gun, but it probably wouldn't get to the point where you would physically be unable to hold it up any longer. When the aimpoint wobble is implemented however, they could make it so that extended aiming periods (excluding when lying prone) increase the wobble, until you bring the rifle back down to the hip for a few seconds to give your arms a rest.

boxster

]3oXsTe]2
Aug 30, 2000
how about this: if you hold it up for really long, accuracy goes down a bit??...actually screw it...now that i think of it, its kind of a stupid idea...hehehe

(i posted it twice cuz i clicked post a hundered times, and my stupid browser wasnt doing anything...hehe)

porschelogo.gif

PORSCHE ßõX$†€®

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
Maybe it's just my imagination, but I think the stamina bar already goes down faster if I run with the weapon aimed then at the hip.

ZundSig4.gif

Farrell

Oct 19, 2000
aiming

I liked Shadowkil's suggestion- running speed should be slowed a little bit when you're aiming. You just can't get your arms pumping for a full speed run when you've got them holding a gun up to your eyeball.

I think that'd be better for gameplay too then having some stamina limitation on it or having it drop down after a timer hits 2 minutes or something.

[PiP]Celtan

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes
May 13, 2000
www.pipeline-games.com
it could be adjusted according to the bulk values of the weapons - the bulkier the weapons are, the faster your stamina bar drops if you're holding them at your shoulder.

so, if a M16 really weighs not so much more than a MP5, this could be set up very realistically. And it should make sure then that the sniper weapons are some of the bulkiest in the game.

Burn, Baby
AR15firing.gif
tank.gif

Col.Sanders

Oct 12, 2000
Even if you held the weapon at eye-level while running, you wouldn't hit anything. The SWAT crouch everyone is familiar with is for deliberate, stealthy movement.

Goat Fucker

No Future!
Aug 18, 2000
Denmark
Visit site
U people just wont stop before u'we ruined all my fun, will u?

I allways have my gun in the aimed position, but that doesent mean that i actualy aim it, when im shooting at someone, then yes, im aiming at him, but when im walking or running or even just standing around, i lower my gun, still ceeping it at a ready shoulderd position.

I would do the same thing in real combat, and i bet u would too.
Just look at some fotage from soldiers actualy fighting, how many do u see lowering their guns to their hip?.....none not counting the dumb ones.

This is one of the things i love about the INF aiming system, i gives me what any other doesent, the ability to hold my gun in a ready, but still comfortable position.

gfsigil.jpg

WantonPhooie

Oct 23, 2000
The only gripes i have about the current aiming system is automztically going in aim mode when you are in prone. When you have a sniper rifle this gets really annoying and the tunnel vision gets me every time.

Commoner

Jan 4, 2001
www.webaxn.com
Suggestion On The Aiming Issue

I personally think that it would be really hard to sprint while keeping one of the bigger guns in an aiming position. Perhaps you should allow the smaller weapons like pistols to be placed in an aimed position while sprinting while the the bigger guns will be automatically placed on your hip if you run for let's say 5 seconds (I don't think people can actually sprint for very long with a Sniper Rifle brought up right in front of their faces - I don't think they'll get any more tired or slower but I do think they'll have a very hard time not tripping over themselves since the weight of the gun will mess up their center of gravity).
The prior suggestion about not putting guns in the aim position automatically when you go prone just doesn't make any sense to me. Imagine keeping your gun at your hip while lying down? However, it doesn't make sense to me that you can crawl around while aiming a weapon while prone. I think perhaps in the future you should need to put your gun aside to crawl around in the prone position. While we're on this topic, you might also want people to be able to "sprint" crawl (move about twice the speed of the normal crawl at the expense of ALOT of Stamina). I'm sure that people can crawl faster than you can crawl in Infiltration right now - but definitely not while holding a weapon in Aim Position (you do use your hands alot while crawling afterall). :)

boxster

]3oXsTe]2
Aug 30, 2000
Actually...Infiltration already has it solved....

Have you ever noticed when you run while aimed, the gunsight bobs back and forth profusely?!?!

I think thats all that should happen when you run while aimed...

porschelogo.gif

PORSCHE ßõX$†€®