UT3 TITAN PACK DETAILS REVEALED

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ogs

Da Bomb
Mar 3, 2006
If Gabe Newells recent talk is anything to go by, expect this release to co-incide with a Weekend Deal on Steam ;).

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
I am cautiously optimistic. Lets not forget Gears PC didn't see much gain from extra campaign content. I hope EPIC has focused on issues with the core gameplay. Double jump for example while useful doesn't feel right, Shock Rifle feels sluggish (mainly primary fire) and lost the quick snap it had in previous UT games. These are just a few things I remember that bothered me and drove me away from the game.

With Quake LIVE in Beta doing better than UT3 right now unfortunately I can't stress core gameplay enough as what will make or break UT3 here. UT and Quake III/LIVE have less features by far across the board but have solid gameplay that keep them relevant nearly a decade later.

The time spent on making Titan I believe should have gone to other areas. There is so much. Will we be able to roll the camera out from vehicles like UT2004 so I'm not up close staring at the ass of my Raptor wondering where my target is but admiring the normal map of the afterburners.

I hope this is going to steer the game toward what it should have been upon release. Sorry for the negative tone/vibe. Like I said, cautious...ly.

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
I take back a bit of what i said before. When i made those posts i was tired and severely pissed off. When it came out that this pack isn't as big as i was told it would be i was ready to troll. Sorry.

Now that i reflect a bit, this is great stuff, new maps = woot, new gametypes = eff yeah! cause they sound great

The titan mutator......before i made out that i actually found it offensive they would include such a thing. But that is what mutators are for right? Some of them are there to **** up the game! :lol: Besides, epic isn't forcing it down my throat by enabling it by default, so who am i to complain?

This **** is free and for that i praise epic and will take it and enjoy it.

I still stand by the fact that it should have been more then what it is, and that this patch doesn't fix many of the issues that i have with the game at all. (It fixes saving IA settings and improves the menu, but i've still got a whole bunch of other problems which are stopping me from enjoying this game)
So i am a bit disappointed. but with that said, i look forward to playing with this new stuff - Even titan; if it is ridiculous as it sounds then i'll enjoy it for one or five games and then never use it again.

Here's hoping to more patches and bonus packs in the future! Do you think this is Epic's "goodbye unreal" pack? Or do you think they'll keep releasing stuff for us?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
With Quake LIVE in Beta doing better than UT3 right now unfortunately I can't stress core gameplay enough as what will make or break UT3 here. UT and Quake III/LIVE have less features by far across the board but have solid gameplay that keep them relevant nearly a decade later.
It will be interesting to see what happens with Quake Live. The game it's based on is incredibly cheap, runs on anything and has tons of awesome mods, while Quake Live runs through the browser (slow?) and can't be modded.

So it could do well, but some of it's current popularity is surely just the novelty of being in a beta.

Jo0k

Apr 12, 2006
if this doesn't get you to play this game, you seriously have issues regarding change and clinging to the past. UT3 is a great game that deserves your support. I wish they would have put effort into competitive duel maps, but that's about it.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
After seeing that the X360 exclusive stuff are in the pack, I wished they did the same with the console-exclusive ones of UT1.

dizzm

Oct 21, 2008
gamersportal.com
This sounds pretty promising but I'd hate to see Epic do what has always doomed them in the past which is make this the 'final' touch on the game and then leave it at that. What has separated other great dev's is continous updates to the game. UT2004 was left with a final patch and then work was started on UT3, yet it still had many flaws that, if fixed, couldve made it an even better game. And despite this patch, I'm with the guy above me somewhere, cautiously optimistic, but not convinced this will be the 'one' to fix everything. Gameplay still could use tweaking and why not bring back some classics like double domination or even 4-way ctf? These were some 'core' extra gametypes that really brought an extra enjoyment to the game aside from the stock staple ones. The content for sure was a needed no-brainer, but will it be the quality that the community wants. Not the same re-arrangement of eye candy and badly flowing maps where one in a dozen have good replay value. I will with-hold judgement until release but if anything I hope Epic doesn't abandon their golden egg. There is hope and with that must come change or else failure is imminent and the omega of UT is here. Without sustained support from Epic, this game will not take off like it really should have.

We shall see.

Last edited:

dizzm

Oct 21, 2008
gamersportal.com
It will be interesting to see what happens with Quake Live. The game it's based on is incredibly cheap, runs on anything and has tons of awesome mods, while Quake Live runs through the browser (slow?) and can't be modded.

Just because it's run through the browser doesn't make it slow. It's an actual plugin and has nothing to do with the browser in the way it runs. Mod's are in store once they have the basic game up to the standards that all the testers and community members have requested. If you read the forums in QL you would know this by now.

CaSCaDe

gaem freak in 3 dimensions
Apr 7, 2000
somewhere you are not!
www.bart.ahk.nl
I could swear I read multiple articles where someone at epic stated that everything you could ever want to do in an assault map can be done using the components available to you in a warfare. Am I just imagining this? I assumed they assumed the assault fans would use warfare and the other stuff to make their own assault styled maps.

i have actualy done it, in several different configurations, the trick is mainly to just make sure you cant reach the nodes and trigger them on different conditions, this way ive been able to set up a battlefield and domination like game type using only warfare mechanics. ive also made some simple and advanced assualt like maps.

these have all been done in more of a testing enviroment and the map i was working on incorperating it into got lost in a massive computer crash, but the principles can be applied very easily in any map

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Just because it's run through the browser doesn't make it slow. It's an actual plugin and has nothing to do with the browser in the way it runs. Mod's are in store once they have the basic game up to the standards that all the testers and community members have requested. If you read the forums in QL you would know this by now.
Forgive me that I don't actively monitor the forums for a game that doesn't interest me at all...

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
I can see Betrayal quickly getting a upgrade by the community to make it not instagib. Don't know how that would work but still.

I think Weapons Betrayal would totally defeat the purpose. NW-BET? Is BET our new abbreviation for that gametype? lol
Anyway, I think the only way BET can work is with Insta (and I am not a big insta fan). Y'know... 1 shot, 1 kill. If you try to betray with WEAP's then you wind up fighting. I think the one shot kill adds everything to the idea of betraying your team mates. When you betray you would need it to be over quickly. 1 shot betrayal so then you can quickly focus on staying alive afterwards. Weaps would draw others in and make it harder for you.
Not to mention all the variables: If I betray you with weaps and we start to skirmish, what happens if someone else interferes? What if I blatantly try to shoot you, and miss, and you retaliate and kill me? Now you are the betrayer by no fault of your own.
I know a lot of people hate Insta.... it's certinaly not one of my faves, but I think in this case it's the only way to play this gametype.

Last edited:

Gan Xodos

Feb 19, 2009
I'm starting to be afraid they'll drop support after this pack...
I mean, if they never make the campaign/thundercrash/necris-jester pack/expansion it would like shooting themselves and the community in the foot. And I'm sure the community would shoot back as well...

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
i have actualy done it, in several different configurations, the trick is mainly to just make sure you cant reach the nodes and trigger them on different conditions, this way ive been able to set up a battlefield and domination like game type using only warfare mechanics. ive also made some simple and advanced assualt like maps.

these have all been done in more of a testing enviroment and the map i was working on incorperating it into got lost in a massive computer crash, but the principles can be applied very easily in any map

LOOOL!

(I don't know if you read my other comment) but I'd really like to SEE an assault map for UT3, and look at how it's done.

Again, I doubt you can actually recreate assault as it was known - and examples all seem to mysteriously disappear and be unavailable :lol:

I'll believe it if I see it