FFA Helps!?!??!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JiNsTA

May 3, 2004
As I've said before, Im new to UT2K4, and I want to be a TDM/CTF Player when I get better. Some people I've talked to said DM is the first thing newbs should play to get accustomed to fragging, which is the basis of some(if not most) game modes. Yet I dont see how getting flak to the back of your head every 2 seconds after you respawn is going to make you a better player after time. Maybe I play with too many people? How many people would be considered too much for a DM game(I currently have the demo, so Im talkin rankin; Im saving for a radeon 9800 pro before i buy the full) so that you would be able to practice and get better at the game without getting cheap shots every time you attempt to engage an opponent?

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Best advice I can give is maybe play Rankin w/about 5 or 6 player load, anything higher will get too spammy.

In general:

- don't rush into a fight, be patient
- don't follow people around corners if they're aware you're following them
- always stay tanked up on health, including all the shields
- never stand still (unless you're doing a Shock Combo)

Dodging is really important too, you should constantly dodge to get where you're going. Here's how to dodge properly. Once you get that down pat, combine it with a jump at the end to get alot of distance.

JiNsTA

May 3, 2004
Hmm alright, is there maybe a universal recommended amount of people I would want to play with in DM? Like around 5-8?

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
JiNsTA said:
Yet I dont see how getting flak to the back of your head every 2 seconds after you respawn is going to make you a better player after time.

Learn from your mistakes you will.

^ One of the foundation principles of DM, or any gametype for that matter.

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
You could also consider spectating other players to see their moves. But the most important thing is to keep at it. When I first started, I was getting fragged every time I blinked. I still get fragged every time I blink now, years later, but I just don't blink as much.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
TWD hit the nail on the head. Awareness is HUGE, no matter what gametype you are playing. Knowing where your opponent are at all times is crucial. You also need to be aware of your own surroundings. Know where all the health and weapons are, and know where you should and should not be in a firefight.

For instance, hanging out in the Shock Rifle pit in Rankin is a sure way to get yourself killed. On the other side of the coin, it is always a busy area of the map, so spamming a shock combo or some rockets there will almost always get you a kill or two.

Also, 5 to 8 players is a good FFA load for most maps. Other than that, just have fun.

Last edited:

JiNsTA

May 3, 2004
Yeah, I am beginning to learn how to be aware of everything around me, it just seems that staying in the shock pit/flak room is a sure fire way to get demolished without even getting a chance to know whats going on. Thats why Im starting to stay on the upperfloors and rooms, it seems to reduce my deaths.

dXII][Pa

FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Jan 3, 2004
Height is always good :). Makes it easier to either spam the poor guy below with flak or jump down behind him. And it is often easier to keep track of your opponents if you are above them.

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
...Might want to take the size of the map into consideration. A tiny dm with five other people might not be a good idea.

...Unless they're too focused on each other to notice you. BUt anyway.

JiNsTA

May 3, 2004
Rankin is a pretty small map, but when you play it with 8-12 other people it seems alot more luck based than skill based.