Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I also saw Interstellar. It's a mess, with characters behaving in ways that make little sense (because there is no real development) and an ending that is completely meaningless drivel, but it almost doesn't matter, because it's so big, so striking and and so beautiful that the sheer power of the spectacle makes this absolutely worth watching (and in IMAX).

Oh, the Dr. Mann part was awesome, and so were the robots. Otherwise, though, I was really disappointed in Jonathan Nolan's writing.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
I, Frankenstein 5.5/10

Not bad, watchable but that's about it. It all felt rather rushed and the hero never really felt as though he was in genuine peril.

Battleships 5/10

Possibly benefiting from my low expectations, this was much better than I expected; certainly not as bad as the reviews would have one believe.

The action was large scale, loud and flashy. The eponymous game moment was mercifully brief and, as a bonus, some of the characters not completely hewn of finest cardboard.

Thrallala

Wait, if you're here then that means...
May 11, 2008
Under the bridge downtown.
Interstellar - 9.5/10

I'm a big Nolan fan but honestly I thought this was going to be boring. It isn't, there's stuff happening all the time.

Matthew McConaughey is truly an amazing actor, It's unreal how he keeps outdoing himself over and over. I remember years ago when he was a terrible actor. Mackenzie Foy who plays his daughter at a young age is also fantastic, as is Hathaway and Chastain.

Cinematography, couldn't be better. It's not over the top like Star Trek (newer films) yet it's spectacular in every way. It's has some of the most visually pleasing scenes I've seen.

Soundtrack, it's good but in some scenes it's used badly and often too loud.

Story, the first 3/4 of the movie or so couldn't have been better but I feel like the final 1/4 of the movie (everything that happens after the library spectacle) isn't up to the same standard as the rest of the movie.

To sum it up, it's not a 9.5/10 movie but it's originality and sheer awesomeness raises the grade, for me anyway.
I loved the robots

Oh and finally, I did notice a really really bad line delivery when the kid
McConaughey's kids kid
was like *cough cough* "It's the dust", how did that end up in the movie? :p

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Interstellar 8/10

It got a lot about space and physics correct (considering hollywood is terribad at that shit) but it got a bit of it far fetched and plot holes literally the size of the universe.

However I don't think that was what the movie was really about. The tension kept me interested the entire movie; I felt like I was one of them unsure about what may happen next.

I really hope his political message about funding NASA really gets through.

Interstellar

I wasn't on the Inception Koolaid like a lot of people I know when it came out, but hey Nolan gave me a great Batman movie and two pretty good ones so IMAX ticket purchased!

The movie reminded me a lot of Signs in the sense that it is enjoyable about a subject I like while featuring characters I like, but the end is a bit of a cop out. What starts off promising opts instead for one of those contemporary space movies that tries so hard to do the Kubrick thing and 2001 the audience but in the end none of those movies are really as good as 2001 or as smart as Kubrick. So, we have a pretty good space movie, abridged science but for the sake of a flick so who cares, and the acting makes the shallow ending forgivable by the time you get there. Harmless space movie, but not one you'll be committing the brain power to decipher for longer than it takes you and your compatriots the car ride home to discus. And if it does, well, you need to read more books kid.

Some things I didn't like. One being that the soundtrack kind of climbs on too many crescendos on occasions when people are speaking and you cannot hear what is stated. The other concerns a certain climactic plot twist that rubbed me the wrong way;

When Matt Damon's character is discovered in cryo sleep somewhere towards the last half, the movie goes down a disappointing Sunshine route with a sudden sequence of treachery in what is otherwise a very evenly handled human drama without the unnecessary action conflict. Thankfully it doesn't stay there, unlike Sunshine, and this is a better film for it. But it bothered me also because it is said that his character was isolated for what is, to him, a handful of maybe a couple of years, whereas when the other explorers set down on a water planet earlier in the film where an hour on the surface spans 7 Earth years one astronaut has to stay in orbit to monitor them. When they return, 20 years have passed for him.

Yet the movie doesn't spend too much time detailing the trauma of being isolated for that long, and his character ends up being a little twitchier with a few white hairs but otherwise composed for the remainder of his screen time. This is also the same character who seems like a real scientist where the other characters, as good as they give it, are "movie" scientists. I would have preferred more time devoted to this one guy's experience rather than the whole "rogue astronaut who cracks and thinks he's saving humanity by killing the others." This whole distortion in time relation was a really interesting idea and it gets kinda sabotaged by the standard Hollywood cheese. So, one idea that is kind uncommon gets avoided for one we've all seen to death. Pity.

Last edited:

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
^agree with second half of your spoiler. I thought it was odd that he seemed okay with it, almost like nothing had happened.

Only other thing that bothered me was the bookshelf scene. Early on in the movie, I thought it might have been Cooper sending the messages, especially the "stay" one. I was kind of disappointed to find out it actually was him... bit of a let down since I usually never predict stuff in movies. Also wish there were actually other beings.. not just "it's us" in the future.

I did really enjoy the soundtrack and visuals though. 9/10

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
American Hustle-8/10

Good story. Good acting from a good cast. Excellent music. Quite a watchable film.

We Bought a Zoo-6/10

Not really my type of film but a quite well done story. If you have to see one zoological film this year make it this one.

I can't help myself but to watch this again; no matter how many times I've seen it. Totally compelling viewing.......

klasnic

ra ra rat Putin!
Jan 24, 2004
Waterford, Ireland
Guardians of The Galaxy - 5/10

Was looking forward to it for so long only to be completely bored and let down throughout;

In fact it was so boring I can't even remember the storyline now. Liked the racoon though but the voice acting on him was atrocious :mad:

igNiTion

here
Apr 9, 2004
South Carolina
Guardians of The Galaxy - 5/10

Was looking forward to it for so long only to be completely bored and let down throughout;

In fact it was so boring I can't even remember the storyline now. Liked the racoon though but the voice acting on him was atrocious :mad:

Totally agree. Couldn't bring myself to remotely care about any of them, or the plot. Watched it a few months ago and I have no idea what it was about.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
The Hunger Games: Mockingjay (Part 1)-6/10

I don't know the books at all but I found this film to be a bit flat after the last episode, Catching Fire, which got intensely dark very quickly. This film did have it moments though and picked up in the second half.

Like I said I don't know the books but certain plot elements were a bit predictable:

Peeta Mellark being returned to them and he was actually "a weapon"; yes, I even predicted the dialogue.........

That being said it rolls on towards the finale in Part 2 and I've come this far with the series. I look forward to the big ending.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Extended edition)-8/10

O.k. so I'm a big fan of these films. We're watching part 1 again so we can sit down and watch the extended edition of part 2 before part 3 comes out at the cinema. Jackson did a great job on everything in this flick including the intense hack and slash scenes.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Argo (Extended edition)-7/10

It's not that this is a bad film at all. The story, while true and with some embellishments, is well told through a good script. The acting and location set-pieces/scenes are good and it does keep interest high for the whole film.

What amazes me is that it won so many Academy Awards. I suppose I just don't take enough notice of Academy Awards........... :eek:

theabyss

No One Here Gets Out Alive
Dec 3, 2005
East Coast
Interstellar 10/10
I think only if you are a father yourself will you truly understand the movie.

The scene where he

returns from that water planet and views all those videos of his kids and what he has missed in all those years is almost unbearable to watch.That scene made me physically sick.

...on a lighter note:

Penguins of Madagascar 7.5/10

Lot's of fun for the kids. They tried to include almost too many jokes in any scene.

Manticore

Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Extended edition)-8/10

O.k. so I'm a big fan of these films. We're watching part 1 again so we can sit down and watch the extended edition of part 2 before part 3 comes out at the cinema. Jackson did a great job on everything in this flick including the intense hack and slash scenes.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Extended edition)-8.5/10

More Jackson epic goodness. They really did a great job of depicting Smaug as a character in this film. Great action too.

HugoMarques

☆☆☆☆☆
Dec 14, 2010
Portugal
Blade Runner (Original theatrical release)-10/10

A masterpiece.

It's your opinion, but come on, really? Happy ending? Explanatory voice-over? Not to mention Bryant telling Deckerd there were six replicants that were on the run, only one was killed trying to break into Tyrell's and then the movie completely forgets the fifth escapee.

Final cut FTW.