UDK January Beta available now

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Epic Games have released an updated version of UDK which you can get at www.udk.com/download or from BeyondUnreal FileWorks (530MB EXE).

Here's the change list:

Improved UDK Features and Tools
  • Decal improvements:
    - Lit translucent decals are now supported: allows much better blending of decal edges into the environment.
    - Shadowmap support for decals: works for both static and dynamic shadow maps and allows for decals to receive shadows from dominant directional lights as well as toggleable lights as well as when decal is attached to texture and vertex lightmapped.
  • Animtrails: Animation driven trail emitters: allows artists to easily create particle trails following animations. See detailson UDN: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/AnimTrails.html
  • Ongoing UTGame de-nativization
    - Moving UTGame specific C++ functionality that didn't need to be in C++ back into UnrealScript: this makes it easier for UDK developers to see how we implemented this functionality, and has also resulted in new engine functionality being exposed to script. Notable examples include the new SVehicle physics interface functions and making it possible to tick skeletal controllers and UTUIScenes in script.
  • Fixed Lightmass generating directional lighting being flipped in the texture's V direction.

UDN also got some documentation updates:

Last edited:

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
do-want-dowantdowantdowant.jpg

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Moving UTGame specific C++ functionality that didn't need to be in C++ back into UnrealScript.

\o/
Even UT3 modders might benefit from that.

Is it just me or does the Gamer's Hell download link on FileWorks just redirect to GH's main page? Also, the AtomicGamer website doesn't seem to exist anymore (getting some domain grabber style search page).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
\o/
Even UT3 modders might benefit from that.

Is it just me or does the Gamer's Hell download link on FileWorks just redirect to GH's main page? Also, the AtomicGamer website doesn't seem to exist anymore (getting some domain grabber style search page).
Huh... I'll look into the AG thing. I'm good friends with those guys, can't see why it would be down...

As for GH, they dropped our FTP account after a while because we wouldn't do what they wanted to mirror files... so they have a partial FileWorks mirror.

Arnage

Nov 14, 2005
Does this overwrite the current UDK or will I have two installs?

By default it installs into C:\UDK\UDK-2010-01\ so it should end up next to any older versions that also had their release date in the folder name.

Love that they're doing this, and really pushing to help keep freelance development going.

All the epic haters I think have been silenced. (including myself, as I was pretty disappointed with UT3 on pc, so yes I'm eating some humble pie with my own words.)

I guess I have more questions than I originally thought:

1.) Just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to point out where I can go to try and rebind all the keys. I can't really play around with the pretty new maps with the default keys. :(

2.) Also wondering if mods like Prometheus and the Haunted will allow me to set up my keys even if it's not possible with the vanilla UDK?

3.) Has anyone tried uninstalling an older version of this, to see if it messes up the latest one? Just curious atm as I've only got the 2 latest. but I can see it adding up over time and I'd like to prevent that if possible.

If there's an older version that allows it, (I coulda' sworn I had mine set to my liking on an earlier UDK.) I'm without that now as I very recently rezzed my pc from the grave.

Last edited by a moderator:

Angel_Mapper

Goooooooats
Jun 17, 2001
Cape Suzette
www.angelmapper.com
2.) Also wondering if mods like Prometheus and the Haunted will allow me to set up my keys even if it's not possible with the vanilla UDK?
I have a keybind section in Prometheus' settings menu.

3.) Has anyone tried uninstalling an older version of this, to see if it messes up the latest one? Just curious atm as I've only got the 2 latest. but I can see it adding up over time and I'd like to prevent that if possible.
Uninstalling doesn't mess up any other UDK installations.