[Liandri Archives] Where did those map descriptions appear?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Neon_Knight

Mar 2, 2009
Argentina
This is something which has been bugging me (?) since I've started editing the LA wiki.

I saw the descriptions for CTF-Face][, CTF-Kosov, DM-Crane, DM-SpaceNoxx, CTF-HallOfGiants and other BP maps which aren't present in either the console versions or the GOTY ladder. At first I assumed those were in the console versions, but this isn't the case, because those maps don't make an appearance in the console versions at all. Another user of the wiki, called "Death to U", has been placing them for some time before vanishing.

Several Google searches just bring me to the LA pages.

Where did those descriptions originate from? They "look" very UT-ish to be just fanfiction.

Last edited:

Neon_Knight

Mar 2, 2009
Argentina
I did took a look to the maps with the editor and found no clues about where those descriptions originate from. The Readme doesn't say anything as well, except a brief description which has no relation with the map descriptions themselves (which is included in the Trivia section).

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
The Game of the Year edition ladder may contain some of the descriptions in question. It is accessible out of the box in GOTY edition or can be activated via ini in regular UT patched to at least 432 (436 preferably).

Neon_Knight

Mar 2, 2009
Argentina
Forgot to mention that as well. The GOTY exclusive maps of the ladder (Shrapnel][, Orbital, Hydro16, ArcaneTemple and Malevolence) have their description there. I'm referring to the BP maps which aren't in any ladder, neither GOTY, Console or Vanilla. Or Demo, for that matter.

At this point it may be safe to say that those descriptions are fanfic?

And since we're there... does the first UT have any kind of official "collection material" such as artbooks, memorabilia, lore material, etc?

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
They might be unused descriptions in the code/properties actually. Or something like that. I didn't see the pages in question and cannot check the packages over at the moment. It might come from other material too, from long gone pages etc. Inoxx used to have a website for example.

In Ctf face 2 description it says it comes from the console versions of the game. Perhaps the DC version has the description in or was hidden among the files? Who knows.

Last edited:

Neon_Knight

Mar 2, 2009
Argentina
I've added that bit assuming that, but checked the files (even with hex editing) and found nothing. :/
Worse, though, DOM-Lament][ (BP4) is a PC Exclusive map, with no bio to be found anywhere. o_O

Here are the individual descriptions for each of the maps I was searching for:

DM-Healpod][
A HealPod may sound cool in the middle of a battle, but it is a booby trap, so you must keep your eyes peeled at all times when enjoying this chemical "Rejuvenation". Combatants, however, have adapted to life without the 'Pod in the Tournament stop voted as "Neurovision Fan's Choice Venue of the Year".

DM-Mojo][
Famous arms smuggler Jihan Nyhn used this as training grounds for his bodyguards, now known as Iron Guard. After Nyhn's death, Liandri ripped off Nyhn's only child to add the arena to the ladder. Needless to say, it didn't go over well.

DM-SpaceNoxx
In the tradition of Morpheus, a favourite among fighters and fans alike, the members of the Tournament got together and manufactured a map of their own, and named it an open exhibition stop in the Tournament, and has remained like that ever since.

DOM-Lament][
The original Lament Domination arena was a hit, especially for one-one-one competition. Due to "non-appeal", Liandri decided to do anything it could to make this map stand out to the general public. Calling upon 2 of the best architects, they made the arena look more "life-like", and also make it a fan favorite.

CTF-Face][
After a cataclysmic disaster with a meteor that destroyed the original pair of facing temples and claiming 8 lives, including 4 Necris and 4 members of Raw Steel, The members of the Tournament insisted that Liandri build an almost-identical, but semi-resistant to a meteor attack, version of the famous Capture The Flag stop in the Tournament. Liandri listened, and a year after the destruction of the first, a second was introduced, with bases roughly 20% closer and featuring more sniping spots. Fans loved the non-stop action that kept them on the edge of their seats. Neurovision, the Tournament's leading broad caster, loved how much money came in as well in the following Tournaments.

CTF-HallOfGiants
Every now and then, Liandri uses a venue occupied by the Skaarj and its elite. This is such a venue. Used by the Skaarj for training purposes, never did they think the NEG would favor a Team game in, or even locate, this unbelievably huge corridor.

CTF-Kosov
Along the infamous Pain River in Na Pali are these 2 abandoned temples. Liandri eventually found these temples, but, shockingly, not before the Dark Phalanx found it and called it their own. Liandri innocently blew huge money to have this as just another Tournament stop.

DM-Crane
An incomplete tower, that was designed to be a department store, was quickly snatched away, as well as the cranes that were building it, by a Liandri Location Scout for bargain price. He later said on Neurovision, "I've really done my job getting this tower, and I already know it's quickly going to pay off come the next Tourney."

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Did you check both console versions? It's also possible it really came from some developement source. I have no idea honestly.
Perhaps the guy got acess to the ps2 developement files, I mean we got the ps2 beta maps at least for example. Perhaps all those descriptions were there in the dev files.

Last edited: