UT vs. UNREAL......... environmental connectivity?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BirddoG

Nov 20, 1999
Visit site
UT owns big time
but i personaly beleive that Unreal is a better game
that might be because playing UT made me look at unreal again and i realized that its amazing!
anyhow all in my opinion

bullet2.gif

"I like this book because of its cover. This book sucks, the cover sucks." -XS

Cryton

Loafing Bast
Nov 11, 1999
London, UK
www.fce2.eu
could it be this?

on unreal, when you fire your weapon, the PC sends the packet to the server, the server then sends back an acknowledgement, and then your weapons fires..

In UT tho, your weapon fires (well makes the sound and does the movement) as soon as you fire, even tho the packet telling the server this has only just been sent... Then that packet gets receied by the server and then the bullet is rendered...

I presume it is the same for the movement too... (although i can't remember how unreal played on the net these days)

EASY_T

Nov 30, 1999
Visit site
I was playing this morning and watching carefully, even off line this delay/sloppiness happens ..it's either my mouse drivers or it's the TNt2 drivers..but there is something going on here..I am going to try and borrow a Voodoo3 temporarily and see if this gameplay problem improves/disappears.

I am beginning to think its the TNT2 drivers..I wish the UT patch would come out soon..!!

EASY_T

Nov 30, 1999
Visit site
I am not going to mention ..graphics, textures, details,level design, CPU usage and other stuff just going to deal with the "environmental connectivity" to the level ..an ambigious term at best.

Unreal is better than UT at tuning in to the gameplay and map environment....

I speak from experience..amazing as it may seem, on my Cable connection, I seem to have superior gameplay "feel" with Unreal.

Even with the poor netcode of Unreal, accompanying lag on some servers and high ping, when ping is relatively goog and low packet loss I get much, much better feedback when playing Unreal as far as player movement control and weapons response and projectile aiming. I know that I have much tighter and precision control on my keyboard input and mouse movements with Unreal than I get wih UT.

THIS IS NOT MY IMAGINATION, .... with UT and it so called "netcode improvements", the player movements and weapons response fire feel ...well...sloppy, the response is not as quick.

I feel that when I am moving around the UT maps and firing my weapons, I leave a lot to chance on the outcome of the game, less skill seem to be required when attaining frags..

I have played on UT servers which "show" good ping and zero packet loss..and WHAM !!..out of the blue.. DEATH strikes me.. I feel and saw nothing !..yet there I lie..gib soup on the floor.
You may say I am not skilled, but that's not true, I consider myself a way above average player in Unreal and not bad in UT, and that seldom if ever happens in Unreal, I always hear and know beforehand when I am going to take a hit..why? because Unreal is inherently more accurate in representing the actual events sourrounding me at any given moment.

I don't feel that tuned in to my environment when playin UT, as a matter of fact, I have post it before, I feel a slight disconnection, disjointed feeling, like my movements and weapons fire are been done remotely when playing UT, it isn't always so obvious, more so an some maps than others,also depends on number of players on the level and finally the actual ping and packet loss strength of the connection.

Lastly, I don't believe the ping and packet loss readings displayed by UT GUI/menu reflect any accuracy..I think the readings are skewed and at best unreliable.

Compare the two to driving responses of vehicles below:

Unreal = sportscar
UT = recreational vehicle

EPIC Please fix..!!!!!!!!!!!

As far as the other elements of UT ..they are great..I love it!

If I am mistaken, and this all in my imagination, I will eat my shorts. (clean ones) /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

pgStrider

Dec 1, 1999
Canada!
Visit site
I appreciate your well thought out ideas. But, I dont agree.
For me its the intangibles, that make UT better than Unreal.
The over all "feel" for me, is better with UT.
I too have a cable modem, so bad ping hasnt really been a factor in my online enjoyment of both of these games.
The immersiveness, the depth, the models, the weapons, the smoothness, for me, UT wins in all these departements.(over Unreal)
Using anologies of cars:
Unreal = first car, a beater, but it was nice to have something to drive.
Unreal Tournament = The car I saved for. Fast, slick, beautiful to look at.
I have fond memories of the beater-car, but I could never go back to driving it.

bullet2.gif

Half-Full, not Half-Empty

Satsu

Nov 20, 1999
place
I know what you mean. I'm on cable too and aside from what ping reports and how it always says 0% packet loss, I get some pretty bad lag and many times when I fire a weapon it doesn't immediately shoot.

SERIOUSLY, I played Quake 3 last night and got around what was reported as a 30 ping (WHOA) and everything ran GREAT. NO LAG, the weapons fired immediately and I didn't find myself unexpectedly falling off of the edge from laggyness.

NO, I wasn't playing on a LAN. I should've saved the server in my favorites...

Satsu

Nov 20, 1999
place
I'll add more to what I'd like to say. After I got UT to correctly play the Unreal maps, I played around some. It's funny how I would get 50FPS steady. Too bad that these new games are taking my interests away from Unreal 1 (this is exactly what Epic wants so they can slack off and not release a new Unreal patch /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif).

EASY_T

Nov 30, 1999
Visit site
The only thing that I can think of that is giving me this problem is the TNT2 Cougar video card..maybe it just can't perform well because it's a "tuned down" Viper TNT2... ya see the Cougar TNT2 has a 64 mb bus and the TNT2 has 128mb bus (between vid card and CPU)..I think this may be slowing down the card a lot..who knows??

Maybe it can't handle textures properly..though I am getting about 40 fps average.

I'm just beffudled here...

Status
Not open for further replies.