Community Map themes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Hey wazzup guys ;),

Please everyone, shoot me all your favorite map themes or map general ideas, maybe there is something you always dreamed to play and that I could do.
  • gameplay focus (ex: sniping or flak rebounds or even specific mutators)
  • Nubmer of players (1 vs 1, competitive 4 vs 4, etc.)
  • Cool old map remakes?
  • Waterfalls
  • Urban map
  • Rooftop to rooftop style
  • "X" weapons only
  • Midnight map
  • Beach paradise, etc..
  • Anything

Just throw me some themes :D. I'm gonna try to make one map per month and this way create a few UT3 map packs (3 maps per map packs = 4 map packs a year).

I want to get faster with both my my level design process in the editor & creativity.

Thx,
Hyrage

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
Good luck with a map a month!

I think themes should be varied and I will play about anything. What I would love to see more of is interactivity of the level with the player. What some people would call "gimmicks" I think make a level really stand out... like the death trap in DM-Pressure. After watching your demo reel, I think you are good at that type of thing.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
I'd like to see fully-fledged, finished and highly playable to the vanilla game's standards kind of levels. I'm a bit sceptical about making a map a month though, it shouldn't be planned in a way that it's detrimental to the overall quality of the levels, since quality > quantity (IMHO). Especially considering you have a fulltime job now I would find it incredible if you managed to keep releasing a level a month for a year and those levels are at a good level of quality.

Preference for me goes to competitive 2v2 - 5v5 NW CTF.

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I second what Sjosz said, although I'd prefer a DM map rather than CTF... :D
I'm not against gimmicks though, but if you really want to add something 'never seen before', think about it before anything else and make the whole map grow up around that idea. By making a weird map you'll be getting lovers and haters for sure, but if the gimmick is questionable, if it is something you added the day before the map's release, then it will be just said to suck... ;)

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Thx guys,

I agree with Sjosz & DannyMeister, making one map a month is hard. That's why I'm trying it. Some of us can make a map in 4 days, others can do that in 3 weeks, some others in 2 to 3 months. So I'll try to make one map a month...

Actually, the map I'm making is both CTF & DM, plus it is way more simple than DM-Str8Control in terms of Design. I'll make a Beta Test later in the month if I finish it in time.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2006
I had an idea like this. But I think you should throw out the idea of aesthetics altogether.

Do one layout per week or something. Of course if you want to do anything good you'll need testers who are willing to test that regularly.

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
Well, personally I'd like to see some decent lava themed DM maps, don't exactly have many of those yet for UT3. Size and layout should be such that you can have a nice dynamic 6 vs 6 TDM, give or take a few players. So basically medium-largish, though a truly huge map might also be cool. There should be plenty of z/vertical action, with both close quarters (tunnels, caves) and more open spaces, natural bridges etc. Special feature could be a couple of those round moving platforms as seen in DM-CarbonFire, that take you on a ride around the map. Or maybe that should be a separate map...

Some other themes:

-An underground TDM map (loosely) based on the Minoan labyrinth / palace of Knossos with bones scattered around, and maybe even a beast from Galtanor's invasion that prowls around and randomly kills people.

-An Alpine (village) themed map, either summer or winter. For example DM-Chamonix.

-Snow/ice/winter themed maps in general.