My mod test server!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
As I've written in another post now, I have set up a home-based server to show off my mods. And I got the first mod for U2XMP complete now! It's the fixed version of Proximity Sensor, and you can try it out by joining my server, being a Ranger, getting enough energy for Force Walls, redeploy, and you can now plant Proximity Sensors! You might think they don't do much, but they eat only a very small amount of energy, so you can just farm them :) So it might turn out to be a useful addition that never got its way to the full game until now!

So, to get to my server, open your server list and join "GE's Mod Test Server". I have a dynamic IP, so I'm not giving an IP here :) Also, it won't be up the whole day and it might lag a bit, but it's the only server with Proximity Sensors!

If you for some reason can't join it, write here, though I've made some test runs and it should be all fine (it's a separate dedicated server package install).

Darewood

Apr 29, 2008
haha those things are sooooo freaking annoying!! I thought at first it was a mine so that if they got too close it would go off haha. The only problem is I really don't know how loud those things are and how far someone on the opposite team has to be to hear if someone is there. But good job!

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Tried it..nice work..but found few problems...the proxy sensors are not standing in the ground, instead they float above a bit..then btw if you research the forcefields and all things, and then run over the ammo station, it will not give you these (will give you supply packs though), but that can't be changed probably.

Oh and what's the point of hitting usekey and temporarily disable the thing and you can walk through? It should be pickable, not walk throughable...

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
With the collision, it's quite strange actually, I've set it to be exactly like it should be, yet on some maps (especially FreeFall) they just tend to float for no reason...
And it really gives you more ammo from ammo stations if you're not full. Not sure why you didn't get it, because I always do. Though they fill up really quickly because they're cheap.

Not sure why the Use key disables the deployable, but that's how it works... I can't quite find what function makes Turrets pickable.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Update! Now techs have a larger version of a Field Generator that uses 10 times less energy and doesn't kill you when you accidentally place one in front of you and are encroached or stay in place after you disable the wall. I wanted to also make it so when you touch the wall, it would automatically open for you (kinda like in Unreal II what bots did), but Touch() thinks that I'm a UseProjector instead of a Pawn.
My server now also runs the XMPMusic mutator so you wouldn't need to turn your own on :D

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
With the collision, it's quite strange actually, I've set it to be exactly like it should be, yet on some maps (especially FreeFall) they just tend to float for no reason...
And it really gives you more ammo from ammo stations if you're not full. Not sure why you didn't get it, because I always do. Though they fill up really quickly because they're cheap.

Not sure why the Use key disables the deployable, but that's how it works... I can't quite find what function makes Turrets pickable.

It was on freefall...and btw ammo worked fine on stations, I meant that it didn't give me the weapon if I didn't have it already, I mean before I started hacking gens....it does give me supplypack though even if I didn't have it, but nothing can be done about it probably.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Ah, yes, that. Well, originally you got the item only when you respawned (as all the code is is ModifyPlayer, which is called on respawn), so you originally didn't have that item thus stations wouldn't give it to you until you killed yourself. But now it's fixed, as I've added a call to ModifyPlayer in the mutator's PostBeginPlay function.

Ryan432120

May 6, 2009
I went in your server GreatEmerald The Proximity Sensor that you made is a nice idea

but i didnt fully understand what does it complete do ?

Its a shame that Atari Gave up for this great game.

Its a Bummer that XMP doesnt have more games in it

like In Unreal Tournaments Death Match, domination, assault, etc...

I think a Great idea For a Game For XMP Would be Survival.

That Every one is allied together and we need to hold on a base for like

20 minutes against overwhelming Waves Of Skaarj & Other Monsters

See here for the Factions...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unreal_2

Life should be limited to 1 ( means that when you die you dont respawn )

But Hunters Can Revive And Heal Fallen Players

But If they are knock down again = DEAD

Like the survival in Unreal Tournament 2004

Also in unreal 2 the awakening there where some maps that you had to defend outposts

This is just a suggestion for a Great mod ...

Last edited:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
The Proximity Sensor scans the area and alerts (loudly) about all enemies in the Sensor's sight. This can be useful for base defenders, as they can hear where their enemies are coming from.

As for more gametypes... Well, actually, Unreal II XMP as a standalone game shouldn't have existed anyway. It was meant to be a part of Unreal II: The Awakening, and have to say that it was planned to be a lot more strategy related, with elements from Domination, Mutant, Onslaught, VCTF, Trials and it's own unique ones. Maybe some day I could try and recreate that gametype... Here's the full description of what it should have been: http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Cut_content_of_Unreal_II#Conceptual_eXpanded_MultiPlayer
While talking about other gametypes that were planned to be there, the list is here: http://liandri.beyondunreal.com/Cut_content_of_Unreal_II#Multiplayer_support As you can see, Unreal II was meant to be shipped with DeathMatch, Capture the Flag and Last Man Standing support. There is a way to enable offline deathmatch and (to some extent, as there are no team colours) team deathmatch in Unreal II, though.

However, we can still hope for new updates for Unreal II. From what I've seen, it has basic netcode working already, it only needs some native-side fixes, and it should work, even up to co-op Unreal II missions (Xbox version already showed us that it's possible). The only thing that doesn't allow us to fix Unreal II is the lack of native code source; but it's very possible that Epic will allow some trusted users to have it for further patch development after a few years (as Legend, the creator firm, is closed, and pretty much all the rights and code should be in Epic's hands now).

Ryan432120

May 6, 2009
I Wish You and whoever that helps you The very best of luck

With getting your hands on the native codes sources .

Im really looking forward to it.

And i Really want that our XMP community will grow and grow .

As much as i want the XMP Gameplay To Get Better And Better

:D

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Someone (of the legend team) said it was in hands of Atari, also the unreleased content and there perhaps was another missionpack on developement, there was on Unreal and it was replaced with RtNP and I remember someone revealing this missionpack in other thread so. I dunno where was it, if it was here or not.

Anyway there should be made expansion and perhaps small update to Unreal2, or even sepaarte install called Unreal 2 deathmatch, with separate executable but using the main files and also coop ctf etc....plus the new expansion to that.

I mean there was even released one lost expansion pack for a 1997 game in 2005 and for free...why can't this be the same? I hate when work is lost etc.
It doesn't matter if it is released that late, it can be released and perhaps even betas etc, but Epic was never open to source code and betas, unlike some other companies....even John Romero released some alphas and betas of Daikatana to public or semi-public (he handed even the full source to a certain community with his harddrive including daikatana old stuff and I was able to try these out even), beacuse it was late since release so...
I think Epic needs same approach on this...seriously

And about U2XMP, even the cleaned beyondunreal FAQ have details about that..mentioning the commander etc.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
What is XMP?
XMP stands for "Expanded Multiplayer" and is based on WoT's Citadel multiplayer gamemode, spiced up with elements of TeamFortress and Tribes:

The official game description says about it:

In the new expanded multiplayer game, player teams will fight for control of planet surfaces and alien artifacts using nanotechnology replicators to build ever more sophisticated weapons such as automated gun turrets, force fields, sensors, recon and repair robots, and more. Players will choose one of three player classes at the beginning of play - class selection establishes a balance of speed, special abilities, armor, and firepower. All races, abilities, weapons, equipment, and tactics will have precedents in the single player game - but the expanded multiplayer experience brings everything together at the same time

PC Gamer has a bit more on the objectives of this gamemode:

In the new game mode, "artifacts" will be scattered throughout the map. Each team will have to control these objects, which bestow different abilities on each team member (like the Runes or Relics from other CTF game modes), and "register" them back at the base. Tactical decisions will play a part, as you decide what artifacts to target first and how the engineer supplies the team: powerful weapons will take a long time to be replicated, so do you wait for those, or start erecting defenses?

This article on PC Zone points out some more important aspect about the artifacts:

The artifacts you get in the single-player game become the object of our new multiplayer mode – each team starts with a number of these artifacts and has as their objective capturing the artifacts belonging to the opposing team. The artifacts function like relics in some of the mods and multiplayer modes introduced by other games – they give their holders some powers they otherwise wouldn't have. The trade-off is that players who carry the artifacts in order to use them in combat are also making the artifacts vulnerable. If you get killed far from your base while carrying an artifact, you've essentially handed your opposing team the equivalent of a flag.

Unreal Center has a little excerpt of an October 2001 article on the Computer Games Magazine on the topic:

In the new expanded game, class-based player teams will fight for control of planet surfaces and alien artifacts using nanotechnology relocators to build to build ever more sophisticated weapons and structures. Each of up to 32 players may be a Marine, a Mercenary, or a Skaarj, and can choose among three different classes. Available are the Grunt-soldier type, and all-bran, all-combat hard hitter who will be able to use all of the heavy weapons in the game: the "spook," a Light class unit that can move very fast and use all of the more exotic weapons; and a Tech soldier who can control replicator units that build all the weapons, ammunition, and equipment, as well as place force field generators, rocket turrets, health and armor healing stations, sensors, recon and repair robots, and any other items you can build to modify your base

Acc. this FGN Online review and the above mentioned CGM article the 3 classes are:

1. Grunts

- "standard soldiers with plenty of firepower"

- " all-bran, all-combat hard hitter who will be able to use all of the heavy weapons in the game"

2. Spooks

- "can use very fast and use all of the more exotic weapons"

- "can use stealth to scope out an enemy position"

- "can snipe using a highly accurate rifle"

- "can disguising himself as an enemy soldier and sow confusion among the enemy troops"

3. Techs

- "can control the replicators in your base, i.e. they decide what balance of weapons vs. equipment are produced at the replicator spawn points."

- "can also set up automated gun turrets and defensive elements like force fields, perimeter sensors, camera pods, and mines."

- "can place force field generators, rocket turrets, health and armor healing stations, sensors, recon and repair robots, and any other items you can build to modify your base"

Furthermore there is one universal XMP class, as CGM explained in this article:

If you want to go one-on-one with another player, you'll be able to play as a sort of "Commando Superclass" who can take on all three roles, and with more than one player, you can choose to group as any combination of the three, but you'll need to have at least one Tech character.

Read it all for yourself and take a peek preview on FGN Online into …

60 Seconds of the new expanded multiplayer game:

You have chosen to be a grunt, which means you have access to plenty of firepower but you need to work closely with the techs and the spooks on your team. The techs can control the replicators in your base - they decide what balance of weapons vs. equipment are produced at the replicator spawn points. The techs can also set up automated gun turrets and defensive elements like force fields, perimeter sensors, camera pods, and mines.

Spooks, on the other hand, are useful in battle. A spook can use stealth to scope out an enemy position, snipe using a highly accurate rifle, or help you make an assault by disguising himself as an enemy soldier and sowing confusion among the enemy troops.

Your current mission is to defend your base. Two other soldiers are standing with you, along with a tech and a spook.

The base is vulnerable, a collection of pre-fab structures nestled into a small valley. The buildings are unfortunately quite visible from the surrounding terrain, the concrete and metal providing stark contrast with the white snow and ice on this frozen world.

You know an attack is coming. You race to a replicator spawn point and grab a rocket launcher. You broadcast a message to the tech: "We need more ammo! I have lots of weapons but not enough ammo." The tech responds: "OK - I'll adjust the replicator." You trot back out to your assigned defensive position.

A few seconds later, all hell breaks loose on the other side of the base. You hear the ripping sound of the turrets opening fire as the radio waves fill with panicked chatter. "They're coming in from the back!" yells a grunt. "There are six attackers, all grunts" reports the spook. "I'm hit!" screams another grunt.

You race over to find the action. There is a pitched battle in progress. Six attacking grunts are advancing line abreast. The two base turret guns are firing at them. You can see one of the defending grunts is down - the other one is behind cover, emerging every so often to fire rockets at the attackers. Your spook is on the roof of one of the base buildings, sniping. And the tech is buliding a medic station.

You open fire as well. The attackers begin going down under the onslaught of rockets and automatic fire from the turrets. Occasionally one drops from a head shot as the sniper takes him out. You are exulting in the successful defense of the base when a rocket goes off right next to you. You are thrown sideways and your armor and health indicators drop to near zero.

You race over to the medic station to be healed, pick up some ammo at the replicator spawn point, then return to battle.

Hmmmm …. that sounds really nice.

I wonder of classes, artefacts, turrets and all that tech stuff will also be available in CTF and TDM.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Aah, they used the term "commando" here. Interesting, this confirms a lot of things that were questionable, like artifacts being placed all around the map instead of spawning at the bases. And they use terms "grunt" and "spook", which were changed to "gunner" and "ranger". Cool.