Battle-Field 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
While I have not played BFBC2, from what I have heard about the destructible environments I am surprised the game runs well on anyone's machine.

The buildings are not exactly dynamically destructible. It's more along the lines of them being built of a set of blocks that you can blow up, and then when you blow up enough of them the building tumbles. Some of the terrain is deformable by explosives, too.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Yes because The Godfather wasn't sandbox or anything.
Yeah, and it is an ugly, ugly game.

Godfather 2 maxed out:
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWX9CwAn2Oo[/M]

BC2 maxed out:
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ9fTM-bC9Y[/M]
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efA1106iPX0[/M]

While I have not played BFBC2, from what I have heard about the destructible environments I am surprised the game runs well on anyone's machine.

They've very cleverly scripted it. So walls are destructible, but not floors and not support pillars. If you shoot an area, it will be destroyed in the spot it was hit, but it hides this in a plume of smoke, so essentially it is doing a calculation of where/how to place the hole in the wall and then doing the pallet swap behind the literal smoke screen. This is "real" destruction, and not pre-scripted, but it's cleverly accomplished. For total building destruction, that is a pre-rendered animation (except for the smaller buildings) which doesn't tax physics at all. My guess would be that the enhanced destruction they're pushing for BF3 would be the ability to take out floors/ceilings and moving away from the pre-scripted total destruction.

~Jason

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Cool article, but they've removed the commander? That does not make me happy at all. The Commander-> squad leaders, squad leaders-> squad chain of command implemented in BF2 was very efficient for organizing people as a whole without everyone talking to everyone. Unless they implement a system that can effectively replicate that and other inter-squad communication of objectives, I'll be pissed.

~Jason

kiff

That guy from Texas. Give me some Cash
Jan 19, 2008
Tx.
www.desert-conflict.org
while I do like bf2's chain of command/communication, the commander's ability to point and click artillery was pretty lame imo. 42's system rocked, since it required spotters and artillery coordination and skill to actually hit something.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
He means that commanders got a crap load of points from doing commander duties alone... especially artillery and supplies.

Not as much as a chopper gunner though.

Danja

Mar 16, 2008
Near Toronto (Canada)
I'm really excited for this game but I have a feeling that it won't be as good as Battlefield 2...

Battlefield 2 was perfect. Perfect gunplay mechanics, perfect teamplay mechanics, plenty of features that had never been done before and still haven't been improved upon...

No game gave you a better feeling than Battlefield 2 when you were running with your squad from flag to flag dominating the map with a commander who knew his ****. Bad Company can suck a dick... The only change that might be good is destructible environments.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
He means that commanders got a crap load of points from doing commander duties alone... especially artillery and supplies.

Not as much as a chopper gunner though.

When I played as commander I always ended up with around half of the highest score. If my team won my score doubled to match the best player. Lost, no bonus. I found it to be a pretty unrewarding experience as I could go on my own and get enough points to be on the top of the leaderboard anyway. It was easy because most players never attacked objectives.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
wat

It's a statement. It also just happens to be fact.
lawlownedbitch

You might as well say that the assault class is lame because it usually gets a higher score than spec ops/sniper. Commander is just a job that some people can do. If you think they were getting a higher score than they should, then you could simply balance that out. Arguing that it should be removed is stupid. It was a great tool and introduced cool new features.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I always hated the Commander because most of the time they would issue the stupidest possible orders.

This usually led to me getting in a chopper to fly it and ending up upside down with everyone on my team yelling at me.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I remember nobody ever following my orders :(. So I told them that they were the worst squad I have ever had the misfortune to see and I also said my grandmother could do better :crysmile:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
You might as well say that the assault class is lame because it usually gets a higher score than spec ops/sniper. Commander is just a job that some people can do. If you think they were getting a higher score than they should, then you could simply balance that out. Arguing that it should be removed is stupid. It was a great tool and introduced cool new features.

The assault class IS retarded. Especially in BC2. Derp infinite grenades trolololol!

Yeah, later on the commander was just a different way of getting around the same amount of points (if you won), but at that point it was just stupid gameplay. Yeah, send orders no won will listen to and sit there and send arty that you can't even see the effect of its destruction. Lame. :hmm: