UT3 DM-Frostbitten_Beta2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Soulwax

Amberlamps
Jul 8, 2009
Belgium
For the last few days I've been working very hard on the first map I ever made. There have been nights where I just had to stop at 3AM because of fatigue and a massive headache ;P

It's been an extremely fun process and I learned ALOT of things that will come in handy for future projects. It's so satisfying when you start with an empty box and end up with a map that is eye-pleasing and enjoyable to play.

Now, it's not a map of most of you veteran mappers and Epic's quality standards, but keep in mind that 50 days ago I knew as good as nothing about level design. I didn't even own UT3 back then.
Also, it's not finished yet. The terrain looks a little weird and it could use some optimisation and overall polishing, but it's pretty to an extent and the gameplay is enjoyable, in my opinion.
Don't spare me, just say what you think, but try to stay polite = )
Any suggestions are welcome, just post them here or email me at
Wintars@gmail.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frostbitten

Up high in the mountains, on a planet lightyears away there is a long abandoned temple that the Necris now use an an observation post. A team of Axon has been sent to take out the observation post and eliminate any Necris threat in the direct area.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
-Platform: PC
-UT3 Version: 2.1
-# Players: 2 to 4
-Gametypes: TDM
-Date of release: September 6th 2009
-Author: Thijs 'Soulwax' Vansteenwinckel
---------------------------------------------------------------------

[SCREENSHOT]http://i28.tinypic.com/2r6in8g.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://i27.tinypic.com/29bcch4.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://i30.tinypic.com/21jt5oy.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Changelog:
From v0.1 to v0.2
-Added extra decorations to the background
-Tweaked lighting
-Adjusted floating static meshes
-New spawn layout
-Adjusted blocking volumes preventing player from getting stuck in the water
-Made minor changes to readme

--------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.filefront.com/14478027/DM-Frostbitten_beta2.rar/

Enjoy, please tell me what you think!

Note: Do you think the spawns should be placed like they were in Beta1, like a mirror of the other team's spawn, or do you like it the way they are now (By the water) I did this to prevent the map from becomming an arena (Inside the walls) and to simulate the effect of a defending force and an attacking force.

This will probably be the last Beta. The final version will be optimized and tweaked to your suggestions.

KillerSkaarj

Art for swans is dope!
Jan 24, 2008
I played it, very enjoyable map IMO. Personally, I like open maps so I may be biased, but that doesn't matter. My only complaints are the fact that I frequently spawn next to the enemy, but other than that, I liked it.

My suggestion would be if you REALLY want to simulate an attacking and defending force, you should make the spawnpoints team specific (I'm not sure how that's done or if it's even possible to do in DM) and add a boat next to the dock. Just my 2₵

Last edited:

Soulwax

Amberlamps
Jul 8, 2009
Belgium
Yeah, I don't like those typical space themed corridor maps either, so I decided to make the opposite.

Yeah, spawning next to the enemy happend alot during my tests too.

And did you notice the submarine infront of the dock? ; D I'll move it up closer.
Thanks for playing!